Gundy's Ceiling and Defining Success

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
I can name several coaches, but they weren’t fired: Holgy, Monken, & Wickline. If you can’t see who the real deal coaches are, then you’re blind. The coaching talent is gone & has been replaced with Div II/III talent. That is why we suck so badly. We’re much better when Gundy has nothing to do but pray he doesn’t have to beat the clock. People need to open their eyes to the fact Gundy has been a passenger much more than a driver. He’s a multimillionaire now, so don’t feel bad about calling it as it is. The donation(s) were the driving force to success. Not Gundy’s coaching. It’s time to clean house, because how long can a program carry on with obvious impotence on the sideline. No fire, no guts, nothing. He’s just ho-humming his way through the motions while D3 guys sink us lower and lower. That’s when you move on. And there’s nothing personal about it. It was his decision making that brought us here. He fought the Holgy hire, remember? All these qb decisions are his. It was a mistake that we even saw Weeden. He’s three steps behind every important decision. The best things that’ve happened occurred over his head, not from inside it.

This program should’ve gone higher than it has. The Big XII has been down. No Texas, no A&m or Mizzou...and we’re content with ten wins verse everyone but OU? That’s not success, that’s beneficiaries of circumstance. Let’s get brave for a change and move on from a bad situation. Loyalty will sink this ship. That’s how I see it, and have seen it that way for years. If you can’t outsmart a clock, you shouldn’t be the main decision maker. Period.
You make some great points about the coaching staff. I think Coach Gundy would've been a lot better off using his leverage with other jobs to increase the assistant coaching staff budget and recruiting budget instead of lining his own pockets.

Back when Coach Monken left, I really wanted us to go out and hire Lincoln Riley away from Eastern Carolina. But Coach Gundy said he was tired of having to replace an OC every couple years. He decided to hire Coach Yurcich instead. Just imagine what we could've accomplished if we would've hired Riley. I'm sure he would be gone by now for a head coaching job, but we probably would've won the Big 12 in 2013.

Head coaches are CEOs. The most important thing they can do is hire the right coaches to fill their coaching staff. Coach Gundy was as good as anyone early in his career at doing this. He needs to get back to that point. We have some really talented coaches on staff, but we also a few that are average at best.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
It's been a while since I've posted on here, but this weekend (well, season) has me wondering a bigger question regarding HCMG. We're all obviously frustrated with his QB decisions in the past and this year is no exception. His decision to keep OCMY on staff for as long as he has, has been questionable at best. The 10 win seasons have been very nice, but this brings me to my overarching question - has Gundy reached his ceiling?

Also, at what point do we, as a fan base, become unsatisfied with 10 win seasons? That seems to be a common statement among fans when we underwhelm - "well, at least we're winning more than we used to! I remember when we used to struggle to get XX amount of wins!" Personally, I'm pretty sick of such a low metric of success. 10 win seasons are great, but unless you're bringing in a conference title or something better than a Camping World Bowl, then you're not being very successful.

Feb 18, 2009
2016 - CMU home debacle
2017 - TCU and Kansas State home debacles. Leaving off UO because the fight was there.
2018 - Texas Tech and Iowa State home debacles. Kansas State road debacle. Other debacles to be determined.

Looks like a distinct trend to me.
Add the way he handled ZRob, Alex Cate, Dax Garman, Tyreek Hill, every defense he’s ever had regardless of coordinator.

Wins covered up the blemishes. Right now it’s the morning after and we get to see her sober and without makeup. Not as pretty as we thought last night, but doesn’t mean she can’t be hot again right?

Feb 18, 2009
I can name several coaches, but they weren’t fired: Holgy, Monken, & Wickline. If you can’t see who the real deal coaches are, then you’re blind. The coaching talent is gone & has been replaced with Div II/III talent. That is why we suck so badly. We’re much better when Gundy has nothing to do but pray he doesn’t have to beat the clock. People need to open their eyes to the fact Gundy has been a passenger much more than a driver. He’s a multimillionaire now, so don’t feel bad about calling it as it is. The donation(s) were the driving force to success. Not Gundy’s coaching. It’s time to clean house, because how long can a program carry on with obvious impotence on the sideline. No fire, no guts, nothing. He’s just ho-humming his way through the motions while D3 guys sink us lower and lower. That’s when you move on. And there’s nothing personal about it. It was his decision making that brought us here. He fought the Holgy hire, remember? All these qb decisions are his. It was a mistake that we even saw Weeden. He’s three steps behind every important decision. The best things that’ve happened occurred over his head, not from inside it.

This program should’ve gone higher than it has. The Big XII has been down. No Texas, no A&m or Mizzou...and we’re content with ten wins verse everyone but OU? That’s not success, that’s beneficiaries of circumstance. Let’s get brave for a change and move on from a bad situation. Loyalty will sink this ship. That’s how I see it, and have seen it that way for years. If you can’t outsmart a clock, you shouldn’t be the main decision maker. Period.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
You make some great points about the coaching staff. I think Coach Gundy would've been a lot better off using his leverage with other jobs to increase the assistant coaching staff budget and recruiting budget instead of lining his own pockets.

Back when Coach Monken left, I really wanted us to go out and hire Lincoln Riley away from Eastern Carolina. But Coach Gundy said he was tired of having to replace an OC every couple years. He decided to hire Coach Yurcich instead. Just imagine what we could've accomplished if we would've hired Riley. I'm sure he would be gone by now for a head coaching job, but we probably would've won the Big 12 in 2013.

Head coaches are CEOs. The most important thing they can do is hire the right coaches to fill their coaching staff. Coach Gundy was as good as anyone early in his career at doing this. He needs to get back to that point. We have some really talented coaches on staff, but we also a few that are average at best.
I agree that Gundy has shown to be a good CEO coach. However, I don’t think he choose the right OC and I agree that Riley would have won us the big 12 with Rudolph.

Gundy will continue this BS because he doesn’t want to do his job. He doesn’t want like you said to have to go find another coach. This is the same thing with the QB. He wants to redshirt our freshman so he can prolong having to find a highly rated recruit.

This i why is see complacency and I don’t like it.

Last edited:

Kev_Dawg

Banned
Banned
Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Back when Coach Monken left, I really wanted us to go out and hire Lincoln Riley away from Eastern Carolina. But Coach Gundy said he was tired of having to replace an OC every couple years.
Hiring new coaches cuts into his snake hunting time and mullet grooming too much.