Gundy's Ceiling and Defining Success

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 28, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
I’ve always felt Gundy is a good CEO of the program. Does things the right way, focuses on developing young men to be productive members of society, all that sorta stuff. When it comes to football, though, it’s vital he surrounds himself with a strong staff, which for the most part he has done in the past. This current staff is just not getting it done outside of Dunn and Klements. Aside from that, Gundy seemingly losing his fire, and his poor track record in QB selection, he’s doing fine. Needs to cut his hair though.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
It's been a while since I've posted on here, but this weekend (well, season) has me wondering a bigger question regarding HCMG. We're all obviously frustrated with his QB decisions in the past and this year is no exception. His decision to keep OCMY on staff for as long as he has, has been questionable at best. The 10 win seasons have been very nice, but this brings me to my overarching question - has Gundy reached his ceiling?

Also, at what point do we, as a fan base, become unsatisfied with 10 win seasons? That seems to be a common statement among fans when we underwhelm - "well, at least we're winning more than we used to! I remember when we used to struggle to get XX amount of wins!" Personally, I'm pretty sick of such a low metric of success. 10 win seasons are great, but unless you're bringing in a conference title or something better than a Camping World Bowl, then you're not being very successful.
You don't fire a coach that consistently gets 10 wins. Find me a program that improved after firing a coach like that. Virtually every program that's done it tanked with their next hire. We may want more and there's nothing wrong with that, but you probably need to go the Bowden route to have a good shot at the next coach being successful.
Georgia

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Mark Cooper...

STILLWATER -- A game was played in Boone Pickens Stadium on Wednesday, though not the type that draws a paying crowd. Reporters prodded Mike Gundy about potential changes -- to quarterback, to the defense, to any area of an Oklahoma State team that lost three times in a four-week stretch for the first time in nearly three years.

Gundy kept his sunglasses rested atop his visor, but he kept his poker face.

Have you made any changes to quarterback reps this week?

(Shakes head.) “No.”

If you haven’t adjusted quarterback reps, what about anywhere else on the team? On the offensive line or the defense, are you able to do that during the bye week to take a look at some younger guys?

“If we thought we had players that would improve us drastically or even some, we would have already made that move. We used to practice four days in the open week. We think that’s counterproductive now. So we’ve got the guys out there that we feel like need to get the quality reps. And we need to do a better job of coaching them.”

Nov 17, 2012
We got a good look at Gundy's ceiling in 2011. He's a good, not great, coach. As for the future of the program, I expect a slight dip in success over the coming years (moving from 9-10 win expectations to 8-9 win expectations), mainly because Texas may actually be "back." The days of the Big XII championship being settled with Bedlam could be (and likely are) coming to a close. Likewise, consistently recruiting in the 40s (behind the likes of ISU :facepalm:) with Texas and OU reliably recruiting top 10 classes, I just don't know how to be that optimistic about the future. We won't return to 90s era OSU football, but I think we've all witnessed the golden years--and they are over. I hope I'm wrong. Then again, maybe this dumpster fire of a season will prompt Gundy to make serious changes to the program and his recruiting philosophy, but I doubt it.

Jun 14, 2013
Gundy should be given a significant indication that 4, 5, or 6 win seasons are not acceptable with his current pay structure. Off years with 8 wins, maybe even 7, can be tolerated if those levels don't happen often. Gundy should quietly be given formal notice that the automatic renewal/rollover feature of his contract is suspended.

Jun 20, 2012
You don't fire a coach that consistently gets 10 wins. Find me a program that improved after firing a coach like that. Virtually every program that's done it tanked with their next hire. We may want more and there's nothing wrong with that, but you probably need to go the Bowden route to have a good shot at the next coach being successful.
I'm not saying we should definitely do that, but look at the career of Mike Bellotti at Oregon. I've made this argument to a few co-workers, but his last year at Oregon was a 10 win season and they passed the torch to Chip Kelly. I'd say that worked out well...
I can name several coaches, but they weren’t fired: Holgy, Monken, & Wickline. If you can’t see who the real deal coaches are, then you’re blind. The coaching talent is gone & has been replaced with Div II/III talent. That is why we suck so badly. We’re much better when Gundy has nothing to do but pray he doesn’t have to beat the clock. People need to open their eyes to the fact Gundy has been a passenger much more than a driver. He’s a multimillionaire now, so don’t feel bad about calling it as it is. The donation(s) were the driving force to success. Not Gundy’s coaching. It’s time to clean house, because how long can a program carry on with obvious impotence on the sideline. No fire, no guts, nothing. He’s just ho-humming his way through the motions while D3 guys sink us lower and lower. That’s when you move on. And there’s nothing personal about it. It was his decision making that brought us here. He fought the Holgy hire, remember? All these qb decisions are his. It was a mistake that we even saw Weeden. He’s three steps behind every important decision. The best things that’ve happened occurred over his head, not from inside it.

This program should’ve gone higher than it has. The Big XII has been down. No Texas, no A&m or Mizzou...and we’re content with ten wins verse everyone but OU? That’s not success, that’s beneficiaries of circumstance. Let’s get brave for a change and move on from a bad situation. Loyalty will sink this ship. That’s how I see it, and have seen it that way for years. If you can’t outsmart a clock, you shouldn’t be the main decision maker. Period.

Last edited:

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
I can name several coaches, but they weren’t fired: Holgy, Monken, & Wickline. If you can’t see who the real deal coaches are, then you’re blind. The coaching talent is gone & has been replaced with Div II/III talent. That is why we suck so badly. We’re much better when Gundy has nothing to do but pray he doesn’t have to beat the clock. People need to open their eyes to the fact Gundy has been a passenger much more than a driver. He’s a multimillionaire now, so don’t feel bad about calling it as it is. The donation(s) were the driving force to success. Not Gundy’s coaching. It’s time to clean house, because how long can a program carry on with obvious impotence on the sideline. No fire, no guts, nothing. He’s just ho-humming his way through the motions while D3 guys sink us lower and lower. That’s when you move on. And there’s nothing personal about it. It was his decision making that brought us here. He fought the Holgy hire, remember? All these qb decisions are his. It was a mistake that we even saw Weeden. He’s three steps behind every important decision. The best things that’ve happened occurred over his head, not from inside it.

This program should’ve gone higher than it has. The Big XII has been down. No Texas, no A&m or Mizzou...and we’re content with ten wins verse everyone but OU? That’s not success, that’s beneficiaries of circumstance. Let’s get brave for a change and move on from a bad situation. Loyalty will sink this ship. That’s how I see it, and have seen it that way for years. If you can’t outsmart a clock, you shouldn’t be the main decision maker. Period.
Absolutely. The truth of the matter is that Gundy himself is an average to below average coach. He can find good talent but if you ask him to go coach offense or defense then you won’t see great results.

It shows because he needs a talented QB, WR and a decent OC. Yurchich is decent but he doesn’t have a QB. Anyone of those variables are taken out then we are screwed because Gundy or yurchich can’t adapt a plan to over come the deficiencies.
Hell, we wouldn’t even made a bowl game in one of our down years if it wasn’t for the heroics of Tyreek Hill. Turns out, he is so talented that even some in the NFL can’t stop him. Think about it, it takes that level of talent to overcome some of gundys coaching.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
I still believe a lot of this has to do with stagnant recruiting. It’s never improved and isn’t trending positively. We need more players like Tylan Wallace on both sides of the ball. If OSU recruits they way it has recently OSU will struggle until they find an elite quarterback.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
Absolutely. The truth of the matter is that Gundy himself is an average to below average coach. He can find good talent but if you ask him to go coach offense or defense then you won’t see great results.

It shows because he needs a talented QB, WR and a decent OC. Yurchich is decent but he doesn’t have a QB. Anyone of those variables are taken out then we are screwed because Gundy or yurchich can’t adapt a plan to over come the deficiencies.
Hell, we wouldn’t even made a bowl game in one of our down years if it wasn’t for the heroics of Tyreek Hill. Turns out, he is so talented that even some in the NFL can’t stop him. Think about it, it takes that level of talent to overcome some of gundys coaching.
I would also argue our offensive “brain trust” couldn’t figure out how to best use Tyreeks talent for the short time he was here...

Aug 30, 2018
Somewhere down in Texas

A couple of solid, unbiased takes here..