Gundy pressers

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I think Gundy's press conferences or statements to the media deserves a thread of it's own. This is not another "why doesn't Gundy throw a tantrum" thread. He frustrates me at times but I enjoy watching Gundy work the press. He's mellowed and is very comfortable with a part of his job I don't think he used to enjoy. He's still a little annoyed and condescending at times, but I suspect he enjoys the attention and, love it or hate it, he's pretty genuine.

As we have seen, a simple raspberry or offhand comment can get garner more attention than it deserves, but I usually find them to be entertaining. Obviously most of it goes over better when we are winning more games.

Yesterday we got another fart noise, his dog interrupting the presser and a lot of parental analogies (personal fouls compared to his kids not taking out the trash). His kids appear to be the voice of the masses that Gundy is removed from. He slipped in one of his very subtle "whoever they get to coach running backs" references to his brother on OU's staff, which he often does so smooth most don't even notice. He said they got all the players registered to vote a couple months ago and another reference to "kids these days" and their damned phones that consume their attention. The camera lost Gundy for a minute as he moved away from the podium to demonstrate player positioning. Oh and he got into a thing about people being "introverts or outroverts". That was his "bedowngrade" yogi berraism for the week. We occasionally get one of those nuggets.

I cuss about Gundy with the best of them at times but he is fun to watch.

Feb 18, 2009
I think all coaches get a little condescending at times. I know I would. Especially with the clowns that ask novel length questions because they have to lead into it to justify even asking. That would drive me nuts in one conference let alone every week.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I think all coaches get a little condescending at times. I know I would. Especially with the clowns that ask novel length questions because they have to lead into it to justify even asking. That would drive me nuts in one conference let alone every week.
It always amazes me the number of oU fans who consider Gundy a condescending, over-confident (cocky) prick... and then say Bob Stoops was a consummate gentleman. L.O.L. :lol:

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
It always amazes me the number of oU fans who consider Gundy a condescending, over-confident (cocky) prick... and then say Bob Stoops was a consummate gentleman. L.O.L. :lol:
He always had that smug, just smelled a fart, look on his face at pressers.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Oh look...he was cute at a press conference again. He's obviously a great coach!
Nobody said that, or even implied it.

I forgot if you start a new thread on Bedlam week you get some of our guests from down south giving input.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Mark Cooper...

STILLWATER — Twelve minutes into a news conference that began with Mike Gundy soliciting opinions on his shirt choice (an orange quarter-zip), it was a story about Gundy’s two youngest sons that illustrated Oklahoma State’s problems heading into Bedlam.

It started when a reporter asked Gundy about Oklahoma State’s inconsistent play week-to-week (see: Texas, Baylor). The Cowboys coach said he heard the same question from his kids Sunday night.

“How can you play like you did against Texas and play like you did against Baylor?”

“The same reason I tell you guys if you see trash in the house, take it out, and I walk by and you don’t do it and I’ve told you 10 times. How can you not take the trash out when I’ve told you for two years, if you walk by the door and there’s a bag of trash, take the trash out. And you and your brother walk by it and step over it to get out the door. How does that happen?”

In Oklahoma State’s practice facility, team meeting rooms, hotels and visiting locker rooms, Gundy has told his players the same thing “literally over 100 times” during the last three months. Be smart. Be disciplined. Avoid late hits. Position yourself correctly.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Mike Gundy is trying too hard. He is no mike leach who was the king of entertaining press conferences.

Gundy needs to focus on winning games.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Dan Patrick was interviewing Pat Forde today on his show and he asked him this questions: Are the two best potential pro prospect coaches in the state of Oklahoma?

So Riley is obviously one of them. Am I forgetting an assistant on OU's staff? Or does Tulsa have some up and coming coach I'm not aware of? Or is it possible he was referring to Gundy? If so, that just shows how few people are watching our games this season. Fortunately.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Another week and another presser with a few nuggets.

No I'm not telling you, you should like it or not like it. I'm not saying it makes Gundy a good coach or a bad coach. If we can have 5 threads on whether or not some 17 year old recruit is going to "commit" or 4 threads about one play I think Gundy's, "you kids get off my lawn" of the week deserves a thread.

This week post game we got "I don't give a ****".

Gundy's getting so comfortable I can't even quote him outside the AV.

Today there were more cranky old manisms:

"We allow liberalism to say, ‘Hey I can just do what I want, and I don’t have to really be tough and fight through it.’ You see that with young people because it’s an option they’re given. We weren’t given that option when we were growing up. We were told what to do. We did it the right way, or you go figure it out on your own."

“In the world today, there’s a lot of entitlement. I’m a firm believer in the snowflake.”

“I’m talking about every millennial young person, Generation Z is what I think they call them. That’s the world we live in. If they say it’s a little bit hard, they say, ‘Well let’s go try something else.’ Versus, ‘Hey let’s bear down and let’s fight through this.’ So you see a lot of that nowadays."
“That’s just in general in society even if you’re working down here at Wal-Mart. If your boss gets after you and tells you you’re not doing a good job, you may go home and cry and tell your mom, and your mom may say it’s OK.”

Then realizing he was wading into dangerous waters he said "don't get me on politics."

Gundy also confirmed his 14 year old son is still the voice of the , people“giving him an earful” about all the mistakes OSU made.

Last edited:

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Just saw this had been more than sufficiently covered in another thread, but I'm sticking with this one in anticipation of future nuggets.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I watched the whole thing and for a minute he made me feel better about our team sucking this year. Can't help but like the guy.
No one should ever feel better about losing. This is what leads to complacency.
He said he felt better about Gundy. Didn’t mention losing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk