Gundy post game presser

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
Jimmy Johnson Bedlam (0-5)
1979 38-7 OU
1980 64-14 OU
1981 27-3 OU
1982 27-9 OU
1983 21-20 OU, near victory that we should have won and were winning in the 4th
Pat Jones Bedlam (0-9-1) too lazy to write them all down

Most people would say these two coaches are two of the best in our history yet they NEVER won bedlam...at least Mike has 2 wins and was involved in the few (2) Miles wins (None of us are happy about all the losses). Got to get better...no one hates losing to those fair weather fans more than old timers like me.
Are you really comparing the investments made in our program then to now?

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
If you choose to think holding someone accountable for last nights game, previous OU games we've played and coached poorly, things that are, in my opinion, holding us back etc....is "crapping" on him that's your prerogative

He is not the best coach we've ever had in Bedlam, which is what this round of accountability is centered around.
How would you hold him accountable?

Nov 14, 2010
How would you hold him accountable?
By not putting him above criticism which is exactly what Boone and Holder have tried to do and he's thrown temper tantrums about it.

Now.....
We have the current version of Gundy because of it because he has no accountabilty.

The way he acts reminds me of a player that knows there is no backup to replace them with so he can put forth whatever effort he wants because he knows he can't be replaced.

Nov 8, 2007
By not putting him above criticism which is exactly what Boone and Holder have tried to do and he's thrown temper tantrums about it.

Now.....
We have the current version of Gundy because of it because he has no accountabilty.

The way he acts reminds me of a player that knows there is no backup to replace them with so he can put forth whatever effort he wants because he knows he can't be replaced.
I think there is some merit here. In my opinion, recruiting is the most obvious reason why we have struggled in the bedlam game. When confronted with constructive criticism over recruiting (we need more 5 star players that we turn into 7 plus star players...Mike Holder), Coach Gundy went on a quest to get quoted by all the media about his displeasure with the statement. The fact of the matter is that Holder is right on this.

I don't claim to have the answers. But, I think the athletic department needs to analyze the football recruiting from every angle and see what questions we need to ask to get the athletes to beat OU. I have no doubt that Gundy and staff can coach them. That is not the issue. The issue is getting them to campus.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Are you really comparing the investments made in our program then to now?
No I'm comparing the actual coaches records and exhibiting our failure over time to do well against the sooners...which does indeed suck and we would all like to be better...many of us just don't see how changing from the current coach is going to make us better in this one game, especially if it means we don't do as well overall.

Oct 30, 2007
Interesting note: Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Texas A&M, and Kansas State all have a better winning percentage against OU during the Gundy era than us. It doesn't make a lot of sense. We have to find a way to win this game more often than once every 5 to 10 years.

Mfa6677

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jan 15, 2016
Kansas
I disagree. Our players, recruits, and potential recruits are free to read any or all that is thrown out into this PUBLIC forum. If the whining were in our homes, so what. But this could have a negative effect on our team and future teams. I don’t know, do SEC teams have public forums demeaning their coaches? Or is their dynasty built on being totally “ loyal and true”?
If you don’t know the answer to your questions about the SEC or if you think you can keep recruits from finding negative stuff congrats you are impervious to the real world

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Interesting note: Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Texas A&M, and Kansas State all have a better winning percentage against OU during the Gundy era than us. It doesn't make a lot of sense. We have to find a way to win this game more often than once every 5 to 10 years.
Impossible. Nobody can beat uo ever. At least that's what the 10 or so Gundy worshipers in this board have said for the last few years...

Oct 30, 2007
Impossible. Nobody can beat uo ever. At least that's what the 10 or so Gundy worshipers in this board have said for the last few years...
It kind of defies logic. We've had the second best winning percentage in the Big 12 during the Gundy era. Basic logic would tell you that we should have the second best winning percentage against the Sooners, but there are several teams ahead of us in this category.

I think a lot of it comes down to Coach Gundy's mindset. The older he gets, the more conservative he plays. He tries to minimize mistakes by avoiding risks. This works really well against teams with equal or lesser talent, but it greatly reduces the odds of beating a team with better talent. This has led to a lot of consistency, but very few big time wins against elite teams.

I've always been a big supporter of Coach Gundy, but I think it's fair to say he's underperformed against his in-state rival. We shouldn't expect him to have a winning record in the bedlam game, but he should have more than 2 wins after 15 years.

Apr 7, 2006
I think there are some years where we clearly missed good opportunities and, as such, Gundys record continues to be a sticking point. I don't think it's a relevant talking point in years like this. Some years we've had teams that were going to lose unless OU made critical errors - this year was one of them. If OU had made some of the same critical errors they made in previous weeks, we would've had a chance- but they come into this game focused every year.

I'd really be interested to see if playing the game earlier in the year benefits us at all. I'm not sure if it's the opponent, the timing or both that has made OU so focused when we play them annually - it hasn't been the case with plenty of other teams. I would argue if an objective person reviewed the film over the last 10 years, OU has played better against us than almost any other opponent - including Texas. Obviously some of that is a measure of how we play, but they just seem to have avoided the self inflicted errors against us that they've had with several other teams.

Last edited:

Pokey

Banned
Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
If you don’t know the answer to your questions about the SEC or if you think you can keep recruits from finding negative stuff congrats you are impervious to the real world
Perhaps, but do we really need to air dirty laundry in a public forum? I don’t think so, apparently you all do. Why not see if we can post it on the big screen at BPS during halftime? That couldn’t hurt either I suppose. Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Perhaps, but do we really need to air dirty laundry in a public forum? I don’t think so, apparently you all do. Why not see if we can post it on the big screen at BPS during halftime? That couldn’t hurt either I suppose. Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.
You're probably right. I usually, at least, try to avoid getting too negative about specific players. Coaches are pretty well compensated for the fussing about them.

Dec 21, 2008
Last game of the year ou typically is playing for an elite bowl or the college playoff. Easy motivation. They play with aggression, vengeance and a sense of urgency not to get embarrassed when 90 ou teams before them have beat us. There’s a lot of pride and a championship understanding in that program. Look at all their former players who come back and tweet about them daily and swap jerseys and take pics on the road with former teammates. We on the other hand limit risks, try to keep it close and Are extremely under talented compared to them so lining up blow for blow will result in a 2-13 record. It takes a little more ummph from our coach and staff to create a competitive advantage, which I honestly don’t know that I’ve ever seen minus a couple bowl games.

I’ll never forget Coach Miles quote (even though we lost that yr) “we have the #1 team in the country and a very good team and we are about to find out which is which”. That attitude is contagious. He had no fear. Gundy is scared shitless every yr.

Apr 7, 2006
In the last 5 against OU:

Rushing/Total yards allowed/TO Margin
283/450/-2
353/702/-1
183/785/-1
341/629/+1
344/524/-2

I wouldn't expect to see OSU win with those numbers. 2 of those years are determined by turnovers. The other 3 by allowing them to run all over on us.

To win this game (outside of luck - which has never been a factor for us in Bedlam), I think we have to hold OU to under 200 yards rushing, under 600 total , be at least even in turnover margin and average > 5 pts per red zone attempt.

Last edited:

Mfa6677

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jan 15, 2016
Kansas
World we live in Can’t stop it and crazy to think other people won’t show them the same stuff.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
In reference to Gundy's post game comments, and not the rest of this thread:

I think as a fan, and maybe its a bit pathetic on our part, you tune in the the postgame broadcast or listen to the coach's press conference after a tough loss almost because you want some reassurance. You want to know they hurt as bad as you do (and of course they do) and you want to know that they are as pissed off as you are (that's a tougher one to sense).

With Gundy, you get nothing. Even a, "man we're going to keep working so we can be in a position to beat those guys." Or "to our great fans, keep with us, we're gonna get those guys soon."

But you get none of that. You know he wants to win (Bedlam), but there's no sense that he thinks we can. It is frustrating. Doesn't mean he should be fired, but it as a life long fan (born in 77, first game as a 6 year old saw the ball bounce off Chris Rockins' helmet) you feel like you should get a little more from the head man when you've given so much of your own time and money to the cause.

This isn't the year to freak out about losing Bedlam, though. OU has underachieved for the last month, and honestly was due to quit playing so poorly. If we had all of our bullets to shoot, it might have been a game.

However, next year, with MOST OF OUR TEAM returning, as a fan I want to see us going into Norman swinging. I realize we may lose two key components on offense, but we should be even better on defense, and experienced at every other spot on O but RB.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
Both of the posts you quoted from me were posts answering the questions from Pokey on whether or not other fanbases are hard on their coaching staffs on their message boards. These were examples of that. I don't understand how providing examples to his question are stupid comparisons but whatever.
It’s Rack. What would you expect?

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Like him or not but Urban Meyer said it best the other day. College football begins with and ends with recruiting. Gundy is now pretty lazy in recruiting IMO. At the same time I don’t ever really expect to beat OU. Let’s be real for a moment.. did anyone really expect Gundy to win last night?
Given starting QB and Wallace out, I wasn't expecting a win but I was definitely expecting it to AT LEAST be a game... Offense obviously lacked, but defense leaving guys completely wide open killed us... (Most frustratingly when Hurts just ran to the end zone with NO ONE even on that side of the field for the easy TD catch. That was easily the most WTF moment of the game for me...)