Gundy - Look at me again

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Question is can gundy win more than two a decade against Riley. Stoops owned him but maybe he can squeeze a few more by Lincoln considering he is new blood.
Seen the way Riley is recruiting and improving? Emphasis has been placed on defense and the recruits and coaches are coming in.

The only thing Gundy changes is his gimmicks to get a viral headline. He’s a circus sideshow. Get a real coach. You’ll get real results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You forgot to change your log in to JimmytheGreek.

Jan 2, 2005
Everything Coach Gundy does is to draw attention to Oklahoma State. He doesn't care if he looks silly in the process. He's having fun and the public persona outside of OK is much more positive than negative. I've traveled to Big 10 and SEC country a lot over the years and he has elevated our perception 10 fold by winning and being goofy. More and More people refer to us as OK State rather than OU. He loves OSU and will do anything to put us in the spotlight. Good for him.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
In the last 23 years we have beaten them slightly over 30% of the time. That is a long way from always losing to them. Way to go Mr. Overexaggeration.
I don’t know where you are getting your fuzzy numbers but I don’t think it’s fair to include les miles years in your stats. As a HC, gundy has won twice since 2005. So, this is 2 out 13 years. He is actually below the historical average against OU. He has won 15% of the time and osu has won 16% of the time overall. Any way you cut it, gundy has had an OU problem.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I don’t know where you are getting your fuzzy numbers but I don’t think it’s fair to include les miles years in your stats. As a HC, gundy has won twice since 2005. So, this is 2 out 13 years. He is actually below the historical average against OU. He has won 15% of the time and osu has won 16% of the time overall. Any way you cut it, gundy has had an OU problem.
We all know the score by now, Gundy is highly successful outside of Bedlam but still struggles with that one game. It has nothing to do with whether or not you think his attention grabbing stunts are cool, silly, good for the image of the school or not.

I'm sorry to all this appears to be just another thread headed down the same path. I'm putting myself on ignore.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
In the last 23 years we have beaten them slightly over 30% of the time. That is a long way from always losing to them. Way to go Mr. Overexaggeration.
Is it just me or does OU beat everyone 11 out of 13 times? Texas has beaten them more but do you really want those 6-6 seasons just for a few victories over OU

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Is it just me or does OU beat everyone 11 out of 13 times? Texas has beaten them more but do you really want those 6-6 seasons just for a few victories over OU

Not exactly.

I've done the math on this and the simple fact is Gundy has underachieved in Bedlam relative to the rest of the games. In non Bedlam conference games we have won almost as many as OU in the last decade. Against the rest of the conference, in all conference games, we are # 2 to OU pretty far ahead of #3. Just against OU we are average compared to the rest of the conference.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
We all know the score by now, Gundy is highly successful outside of Bedlam but still struggles with that one game. It has nothing to do with whether or not you think his attention grabbing stunts are cool, silly, good for the image of the school or not.

I'm sorry to all this appears to be just another thread headed down the same path. I'm putting myself on ignore.
Gundy has done well for OSU and I won't debate his consistency outside of the bedlam game. He clearly has made OSU a top 25 program for most years. I don't doubt that he has the ability to continue this trend. However, I am not convinced that we are ready to beat OU for the chance to make a playoff. I hope Gundy can get past Riley at some point but It will take a different approach.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Not exactly.

I've done the math on this and the simple fact is Gundy has underachieved in Bedlam relative to the rest of the games. In non Bedlam conference games we have won almost as many as OU in the last decade. Against the rest of the conference, in all conference games, we are # 2 to OU pretty far ahead of #3. Just against OU we are average compared to the rest of the conference.
How has everyone else in the conference done in the last 13 years against OU? About the same?

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
How has everyone else in the conference done in the last 13 years against OU? About the same?

A couple better, a couple tied, a few worse. It would be reasonable to expect the #2 team in the conference to have the most success against the #1 team of anyone.

Last edited:

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
No one expects iowa state or Kansas to have success against OU over a long period. I expect to see better results from the top 4. I expect OSU, Texas, TCU and Kansas state to beat them every few years but it usually doesn’t happen that way.

Jul 7, 2010
Tampa, FL
Gundy has done well for OSU and I won't debate his consistency outside of the bedlam game. He clearly has made OSU a top 25 program for most years. I don't doubt that he has the ability to continue this trend. However, I am not convinced that we are ready to beat OU for the chance to make a playoff. I hope Gundy can get past Riley at some point but It will take a different approach.
So, Gundy's approach of taking his shirt off in April is costing us games vs. OU in the fall? Can you walk me to that logic? I'm not trying to be condescending, I just honestly cant get there. Help me out here.

When Justin Gilbert had a rare dropped interception, which gimmick of Gundy did you point to as the reason? When Mason had an unlikely overthrow of a receiver, was it because of the Homecoming and Hoops celebration? Because, if you can single out antics, can I single out miscues?

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
So, Gundy's approach of taking his shirt off in April is costing us games vs. OU in the fall? Can you walk me to that logic? I'm not trying to be condescending, I just honestly cant get there. Help me out here.

When Justin Gilbert had a rare dropped interception, which gimmick of Gundy did you point to as the reason? When Mason had an unlikely overthrow of a receiver, was it because of the Homecoming and Hoops celebration? Because, if you can single out antics, can I single out miscues?
It the Gundy areola effect.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008

You are very good at taking comments out of context and manipulating them into your own sarcastic non sense. I am talking about in game strategy and you know darn well that gundy takes a very conservative approach.

You can sit there and make as many sarcastic remarks as you want but it doesn’t change the records or the fact that most realist see he has some serious flaws in his approach to the bedlam game as “just another game”.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
You are very good at taking comments out of context and manipulating them into your own sarcastic non sense. I am talking about in game strategy and you know darn well that gundy takes a very conservative approach.

You can sit there and make as many sarcastic remarks as you want but it doesn’t change the records or the fact that most realist see he has some serious flaws in his approach to the bedlam game as “just another game”.
But what does any of that have to do with him taking off his shirt?

jnewtont

Territorial Marshal
Oct 18, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
... it could be worse. Pat Jones could still have been the coach after 30+ years and he could've been the one taking his shirt off. There is an alternate timeline out there somewhere where this happened so we should definitely be grateful. :)

Jul 7, 2010
Tampa, FL

Thank you for the compliments. It is nice knowing other people recognize my skill set.

You have skill sets as well. You are very good at taking posts about Gundy loving life and turning them into an indictment on his performance against OU.

I'm really not trying to attack you or single you out here - so apologies if that is how my intentions are coming off - but if you are allowed to get fed up with his OU performance, I can get fed up with people calling him out for having a zest for life.

What I am asking is, how does his enjoyment for what he does and his expression of himself contribute in any way to his successes or failures on the football field?

Again, I wish everyone who gets worked up about this would lighten up a bit and enjoy life the way Gundy does. And I wish they would also refer to the post about all the good he is doing in the community. You cannot cherry pick what he does just to fit the narrative.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Thank you for the compliments. It is nice knowing other people recognize my skill set.

You have skill sets as well. You are very good at taking posts about Gundy loving life and turning them into an indictment on his performance against OU.

I'm really not trying to attack you or single you out here - so apologies if that is how my intentions are coming off - but if you are allowed to get fed up with his OU performance, I can get fed up with people calling him out for having a zest for life.

What I am asking is, how does his enjoyment for what he does and his expression of himself contribute in any way to his successes or failures on the football field?

Again, I wish everyone who gets worked up about this would lighten up a bit and enjoy life the way Gundy does. And I wish they would also refer to the post about all the good he is doing in the community. You cannot cherry pick what he does just to fit the narrative.
I have no problem with Gundy having fun but this just proves a lot of people’s point that he doesn’t really take them seriously. It’s almost like he assumes we are going to lose the game and nothing we can do would change the outcome.

Either way, I don’t really have an issue with him having fun around the homecoming hoops but for a bob stoops tribute? To a guy you only beat twice in 13 years?

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
you are the reason ou fans refer to OSU as "little brother"............. just switch sides already, your inferiority complex is exhausting............

Status
Not open for further replies.