Gundy griping thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
Ok. Gotta keep up the quota.

Lol @ “Gundy is great.” And even funnier is you saying Gundy is great on both sides of the ball....hell, might as well go ahead and throw in ST while you are at it since he “has been at it a long time.” Some of you guys are completely blind to anything other than Orange apparently. He is very good on O. That’s about it.

Gundy let go of a DC that had strong ties here only to promote from within the very same system! That was not a great move by any means and made no sense. Yeah, it worked out one year but the other DC would have done better or at least as good IMO.

For defensive coaches to come here and have their best year in year 1 then progressively get worse only contributes to the fact Gundy does NOT know defense as he admits.....and it was not a long time ago when he did admit it.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Just drop it already. IT IS NOT HIS JOB to be either OC or DC - what's the point of the discussion?

I heard your point the first 10 times... I disagree. That is data from decades ago.

Gundy knows what he's doing on BOTH sides of the ball, and he's shown that by replacing coaches.

my gosh man... how can he attack a defense if he doesn't understand defense or what the defense is doing, or what they're likely to do on any down situation?

Just repeat after me.

Gundy is great. Gundy is doing great. OSU will continue to be great under Gundy. (repeat 20 times)
My point is supported by gundy himself. You have too much ego to admit that you are wrong. It’s ok keep repeating your orange koolaid and maybe some other egotist in here will agree with you.

Jul 28, 2006
You forget what this program was before Gundy. Gundy is a great college football coach. It’s not really even debatable. The rest of colllege football is aware of this fact. I’ll reference all of the huge offers he’s had before from blue blood programs. You are either a gooner, someone who values gooner admiration, or just not very knowledgeable. The last is redundant I know.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
You forget what this program was before Gundy. Gundy is a great college football coach. It’s not really even debatable. The rest of colllege football is aware of this fact. I’ll reference all of the huge offers he’s had before from blue blood programs. You are either a gooner, someone who values gooner admiration, or just not very knowledgeable. The last is redundant I know.
Did anyone say that he wasn’t a good coach? Or is this your classic straw man.

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
Meh. He is good. Not great. A great coach wouldn’t lose 3 home games in one year when we were favored in all 3.....double digits in 2 of those 3 to boot. A great coach would never lose to a terrible CMU team with the talent desparity we had in that game.

Take off the Orange glasses and see the real world sometime. So much for your “it’s not really even debatable” comment.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Meh. He is good. Not great. A great coach wouldn’t lose 3 home games in one year when we were favored in all 3.....double digits in 2 of those 3 to boot. A great coach would never lose to a terrible CMU team with the talent desparity we had in that game.

Take off the Orange glasses and see the real world sometime. So much for your “it’s not really even debatable” comment.
Is there really a wolf this time Jimmy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
First of all it's not the 90s anymore. The infrastructure of the program is different, therefore the expectations are different.
If the rest of college football was aware that he's a "great" coach, then how did Alabama get selected for the championship game over him in 2011? If OU was in OSU's position that year it would've been different, and you know it. He can be flashy in the media at times and he has an above average program with a high octane offense. That's the national perception.
It's called being realistic and objective, we're not anti-OSU.

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
First of all it's not the 90s anymore. The infrastructure of the program is different, therefore the expectations are different.
If the rest of college football was aware that he's a "great" coach, then how did Alabama get selected for the championship game over him in 2011? If OU was in OSU's position that year it would've been different, and you know it. He can be flashy in the media at times and he has an above average program with a high octane offense. That's the national perception.
You're blaming the committee's choice on the coach?

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oFyDl7xbRgcAu8O8E/giphy.gif

Jan 20, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Maybe the mods could start a separate thread and call it...idk

"Share your drivel about Gundy's coaching and your thoughts about weather or not it meets/does not meet/exceeds your expectations"

I obviously have no life and just read almost 10 pages of nothing to do with fall practice.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa

You’re cherry picking three or four games we lost that we were favored to win as your evidence that he isn’t a great coach? I could easily spin that and show you many more games that we have won that we weren’t favored to.

Go look at the stats. We are one of the best teams in the nation in covering the spread.

All of those stats have nothing to do with orange tinted glasses.
This is really a terrible argument. Regardless of how great a coach he is, OSU as a program still isn’t going to beat a storied program like Alabama.

And how has infrastructure helped Texas in the past 8 years? You can pour all kinds of resources into a program but if you don’t have coaching, it doesn’t mean a thing. Gundy took a battered program and literally turned it into a top 20-25 program in a decade. That’s a great coach.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
You’re cherry picking three or four games we lost that we were favored to win as your evidence that he isn’t a great coach? I could easily spin that and show you many more games that we have won that we weren’t favored to.

Go look at the stats. We are one of the best teams in the nation in covering the spread.

All of those stats have nothing to do with orange tinted glasses.

This is really a terrible argument. Regardless of how great a coach he is, OSU as a program still isn’t going to beat a storied program like Alabama.

And how has infrastructure helped Texas in the past 8 years? You can pour all kinds of resources into a program but if you don’t have coaching, it doesn’t mean a thing. Gundy took a battered program and literally turned it into a top 20-25 program in a decade. That’s a great coach.
You have to look at it game by game. Way too hung up on stats; they don't tell the whole story.

Someone said Gundy holds a national status as a "great" coach. Sorry, but that is just inaccurate. He's not on the same level as Nick Saban and others. If he was, OSU would've gotten better consideration for making that game. Alabama couldn't even win their own conference, therefore, why should they have been in the game? OU had a great coach and a great program, that's why they would've gotten in. OSU had a good coach and an above average program. That just doesn't compare to Alabama. So yes, the coach plays a part. And who did the committee listen to that whined and b1tched in order to get their team into that game? Nick Saban. If Gundy was so great and widely respected, they would've given him a lot better consideration than they did. For a "terrible argument", you did a poor job stating your case.

As far as infrastructure goes, how do you think Gundy would do if he didn't have the other 2 key components, i.e. Pickens and Holder? He didn't do it alone, and with a good supporting cast like that it is perfectly reasonable to expect a coach to have more success than past coaches who had neither of those. As far as Texas goes, they have fallen flat as far as expectations go. Which supports my point. The more/better resources that you have, the higher the expectations. Texas has failed and OSU has succeeded in bettering their program, which was kinda expected with all the money poured into it. Gundy is a good coach but he's not some magician or God like you make him out to be. He's on about the same level as Mike Leach as far as how good of a coach. Bill Snyder is a great coach. As far as wins go, just look at this decade. Season after season he's just a step behind Gundy, sometimes ahead. And he doesn't have nearly the resources Gundy does. When he leaves the program is likely gonna suck. Now that is a magician, and great coach. Plus he has a long history of doing it. Gundy has been in charge for 13 years and he's done good for sure, but as far as earning the status of a "great" coach, I don't think enough time has passed and he's done enough yet to earn that stigma. I'd say he's getting close due to the results over the past 10 seasons, but not yet.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
You have to look at it game by game. Way too hung up on stats; they don't tell the whole story.
I am looking at it game by game. Again, you show me games that we lost that we were favored to win and I’ll show you a lot more that we were favored to lose and won. Show me something different than that “game by game.”

Someone said Gundy holds a national status as a "great" coach. Sorry, but that is just inaccurate.
Actually, it isn’t. National media and most college football fans disagree with you but you’re correct because....reasons?
He's not on the same level as Nick Saban and others. If he was, OSU would've gotten better consideration for making that game. Alabama couldn't even win their own conference, therefore, why should they have been in the game?
This is such a bunk argument. Alabama got the nod because of their program stature. That has nothing to do with how great a coach is at being a coach. Nick Saban also has the benefit of coaching a storied program with unlimited resources and countless advantages that Gundy doesn’t have. This isn’t even close to an even playing field that you’re trying to make it out to be.

OU had a great coach and a great program, that's why they would've gotten in. OSU had a good coach and an above average program. That just doesn't compare to Alabama. So yes, the coach plays a part.
What? OU would have gotten in, again, because they are a blue blood program and that gets them the benefit of the doubt. You’re replacing Alabama with OU and it’s the same exact deal.
And who did the committee listen to that whined and b1tched in order to get their team into that game? Nick Saban. If Gundy was so great and widely respected, they would've given him a lot better consideration than they did. For a "terrible argument", you did a poor job stating your case.
Um, there was no committee when OSU wasn’t able to get into the championship game so I’m wondering why I am even having this conversation when you can’t even get those major facts correct.
As far as infrastructure goes, how do you think Gundy would do if he didn't have the other 2 key components, i.e. Pickens and Holder? He didn't do it alone, and with a good supporting cast like that it is perfectly reasonable to expect a coach to have more success than past coaches who had neither of those. As far as Texas goes, they have fallen flat as far as expectations go. Which supports my point. The more/better resources that you have, the higher the expectations. Texas has failed and OSU has succeeded in bettering their program, which was kinda expected with all the money poured into it. Gundy is a good coach but he's not some magician or God like you make him out to be.
Haha, a magician or God?? What the hell are you even talking about? That is some high powered straw man right there.

As far as your resources argument goes, where would any great coach be without resources? The difference is that great coaches make the best of it. Especially when before they came on board, the program was subpar at best.
He's on about the same level as Mike Leach as far as how good of a coach.
Utter nonsense. All you have to do is look at win-loss records to put that ridiculous assessment to bed.
Bill Snyder is a great coach. As far as wins go, just look at this decade. Season after season he's just a step behind Gundy, sometimes ahead. And he doesn't have nearly the resources Gundy does. When he leaves the program is likely gonna suck. Now that is a magician, and great coach. Plus he has a long history of doing it. Gundy has been in charge for 13 years and he's done good for sure, but as far as earning the status of a "great" coach, I don't think enough time has passed and he's done enough yet to earn that stigma. I'd say he's getting close due to the results over the past 10 seasons, but not yet.
Yes, Snyder is a great coach. And just like Snyder, Gundy took the program from barely alive and turned it into something completely different. He has exceeded Snyder lately in performance and that does have to do with resources. I’d still put Snyder ahead of Gundy on the list of great coaches.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Ok. Gotta keep up the quota.

Lol @ “Gundy is great.” And even funnier is you saying Gundy is great on both sides of the ball....hell, might as well go ahead and throw in ST while you are at it since he “has been at it a long time.” Some of you guys are completely blind to anything other than Orange apparently. He is very good on O. That’s about it.

Gundy let go of a DC that had strong ties here only to promote from within the very same system! That was not a great move by any means and made no sense. Yeah, it worked out one year but the other DC would have done better or at least as good IMO.

For defensive coaches to come here and have their best year in year 1 then progressively get worse only contributes to the fact Gundy does NOT know defense as he admits.....and it was not a long time ago when he did admit it.
At least Glenn Spencer followed up his firing here with a job at another D1 school. Where did Bill Young end up? Yukon High School?

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
We're just gonna have to agree to disagree. I could also break down every sentence of yours, but I have other things to do today besides argue on a sports forum. And it's apparent that it would just go on and on and on and be like arguing with a brick wall. It's a waste of time when viewpoints are as heavily biased as yours. I just don't understand why some people feel so obligated to rabidly defend their former college. I paid my money, went there my jr and sr years, and got out of there. And I like the college and Stillwater, might be my favorite town that I've lived in. And I like seeing the football team win. However, I prefer to interpret things objectively, even if it doesn't shine a rosy light on something I like. Everyone else respects you and finds you way more credible with that type of outlook.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
We're just gonna have to agree to disagree. I could also break down every sentence of yours, but I have other things to do today besides argue on a sports forum. And it's apparent that it would just go on and on and on and be like arguing with a brick wall. It's a waste of time when viewpoints are as heavily biased as yours. I just don't understand why some people feel so obligated to rabidly defend their former college. I paid my money, went there my jr and sr years, and got out of there. And I like the college and Stillwater, might be my favorite town that I've lived in. And I like seeing the football team win. However, I prefer to interpret things objectively, even if it doesn't shine a rosy light on something I like. Everyone else respects you and finds you way more credible with that type of outlook.
Hahaha all I’ve done is give you facts as opposed to you giving opinions and bad comparisons that don’t hold water.

But sure. You’re the one being objective. Great humble brag.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Hahaha all I’ve done is give you facts as opposed to you giving opinions and bad comparisons that don’t hold water.

But sure. You’re the one being objective. Great humble brag.
Apparently you have no clue what a fact is. I just read through your post, and there's not a single one. It's all opinion. Like I said, I could break down every sentence, do the research, and cite facts, but on this particular subject, on this forum, it's a ridiculous waste of time. It's very apparent that you would not listen if I did.

Bragging? What the hell are you talking about? The problem in your eyes, and several others on this forum, is Gundy can do no wrong and ANY criticism must be attacked. You fail to realize that I and others are glad we have Gundy and it would be difficult to find a replacement as good as him. However, let's try to stay grounded here. He is not perfect and he did not achieve what has happened single handedly. If he didn't have the help he got, there's no way we'd have 9-10 win seasons regularly and I don't think you'd be calling him great. But maybe you would since 5-8 wins per season would be better than the results in the 1990s.
The problem is your viewpoint is so extreme and biased that it's not very credible. I am being reasonable, you are not.

By the way, you're wrong about there not being a committee.
The Crimson Tide edged Oklahoma State in the final round of voting Sunday and will play the top-ranked Tigers in the BCS national championship game
com·mit·tee
kəˈmidē/
noun
noun: committee; plural noun: committees
  1. 1.
    a group of people appointed for a specific function, typically consisting of members of a larger group.
    "the housing committee"
    synonyms:board, council, brain trust
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor.../gIQAS1dQXO_story.html?utm_term=.9b88393e827f
You and I weren't allowed to vote. Therefore, it was a group of people appointed for a specific function. Therefore, it was a committee.
So before accusing someone of not being factual, I'd take a look at yourself first.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Gundy has done a good job overall imo.

But, I don't think truly great head coaches receive brand new facilities the caliber of ours and then go win 1 conference championship in 13 years. And let's not act as if Gundy built it all up over night. Miles laid a winning foundation. I am glad that Gundy took that and ran with it while also changing the culture and standards of behavior for players. Just my opinion. Gundy still has some work to do to get into the "great" category. Changing DC's is probably a good start, I'm just fearful that he did it one year too late. We had the talent and system on O last season to get to the CFP and compete. Definitely disappointing that we didn't even get close. I don't believe that it's a coincidence that our championship came with Monken on staff. His attitude seemed to rub off on the entire team. Again, just opinions.

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
Again, you show me games that we lost that we were favored to win and I’ll show you a lot more that we were favored to lose and won. Show me something different than that “game by game.”
I disagree and believe you are dead wrong on being able to show “a lot more” games where we won when an underdog as opposed to losing when the favorite.

Yes, Gundy is great against the spread. In fact, he is probably the best in the nation at covering the spread. Translation.....he beats up on the nobody’s.

Like I said. Let’s take last year as the example...not a game by game, but the entire year. I gave you 3 games(all at home) where we were favored(2 by double digits) that we lost.

I don’t think we won one game last year where we were not favored. Gundy loses the majority of the games where we aren’t favored to win....and often he has a terrible gameplan in those games(plays not to lose). That’s my only real beef against him. He folds like a cheap tent when the weather gets rough.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Gundy has done a good job overall imo.

But, I don't think truly great head coaches receive brand new facilities the caliber of ours and then go win 1 conference championship in 13 years. And let's not act as if Gundy built it all up over night. Miles laid a winning foundation. I am glad that Gundy took that and ran with it while also changing the culture and standards of behavior for players. Just my opinion. Gundy still has some work to do to get into the "great" category. Changing DC's is probably a good start, I'm just fearful that he did it one year too late. We had the talent and system on O last season to get to the CFP and compete. Definitely disappointing that we didn't even get close. I don't believe that it's a coincidence that our championship came with Monken on staff. His attitude seemed to rub off on the entire team. Again, just opinions.
If he keeps doing exactly what he's doing, rolling out the 9-10 win seasons, at some point I think you could call him great from doing that, purely because it used to be a medicore to doormat program and he blew all the previous coaches out of the water from just sustained success over such a long time period. But like I said, he hasn't done that long enough at this point to earn the status from that alone. If he didn't have the financial support, definitely yes. If he can figure out how to get the OU monkey off his back, at least beat them more than the long term average, even just 25%-33% of the time, that would be a huge step. And winning more conference championships.