Gundy comment on fans

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I cannot believe that anyone has a clue how the majority of the fans feel. Considering the number of overall fans, it would be impossible to know based on few that post on message boards or that we personally come in contact with. The 1,500 at the Iowa St. game last night stood and cheered when the announced Gundy in the crowd.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I cannot believe that anyone has a clue how the majority of the fans feel. Considering the number of overall fans, it would be impossible to know based on few that post on message boards or that we personally come in contact with. The 1,500 at the Iowa St. game last night stood and cheered when the announced Gundy in the crowd.
Several posters claimed to know what the majority of fans thought (RE: Page 3 of this thread). I assume you can't believe them, either, right?

But in the interest of accuracy (and to avoid hundreds of stupid posts like yours that I quoted), I will amend my statement to say, "Based on my experience, the 10-person derp mob on this board is not representative of the majority of OSU fans."

I have literally never encountered the sentiments expressed by the vocal minority on this board except for on this message board. Normal, real-life people that I talk with on a weekly basis don't seem to have the same trouble that folks on here do.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2009
Edmond, OK
There is really no other way to read that comment other than Gundy isn't concerned about what the fans think.

What a dumb thing to say in a public forum

The reporter didn't ask about X's and O's.

They asked about fans perception of the season.

I'll bet he'd care if those same fans stopped showing up and spending all the money they do to support his program.

Does he care what big donors think?

What a stupid comment

How about say

Hey, fans are great. Especially ours!

We sold out every home game this year which just shows how great our fans are.

They get really high with the highs and really low with the lows.

As the leader of this program I can't get caught up in that kind of a roller coaster because if I did it would affect how I did my my job.

And...
My job is to run this program as best I know how.

We've had a lot of success and we'll have success again.
Too bad you weren't there to coach him... never mind, he doesn't care... remember?

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Several posters claimed to know what the majority of fans thought (RE: Page 3 of this thread). I assume you can't believe them, either, right?

But in the interest of accuracy (and to avoid hundreds of stupid posts like yours that I quoted), I will amend my statement to say, "Based on my experience, the 10-person derp mob on this board is not representative of the majority of OSU fans."

I have literally never encountered the sentiments expressed by the vocal minority on this board except for on this message board. Normal, real-life people that I talk with on a weekly basis don't seem to have the same trouble that folks on here do.
Well, thanks for correcting your poorly worded and thought out post. It makes better sense but, ignores the fact that you and your little band of merry men ( who go around liking each others posts and putting zzz's on all us infidels) are not the pulse of the fanbase either.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
It does seem that some people are overreacting to Gundy's comment, especially when taking context into account.

But, does anyone else wonder why it would be so hard for Gundy to just flat out say that no one - fans, coaches, or players - is happy with this season's results and that the entire coaching staff is committed to doing whatever it takes to get this thing turned around immediately? I, for one, really am a fan of how Coach Holliday handles adversity with the baseball program. When in the midst of a losing streak, he owns it with every fiber of his being. He takes complete blame every time and assures the fans that they will continue to work as hard as possible to get things turned around. He doesn't make fart noises about fans, he doesn't make snide comments about fans, he thanks them as much as possible and reassures them.

And for those of you who are saying that he didn't take the bait on a ridiculous question. I agree that it was a baited question. But I also believe he DID take the bait. This is the type of response this state's media wants from him.

And, for anyone who wants to continue to defend Gundy's comments regarding fans, well, you're a fan, so (fart noise).

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Well, thanks for correcting your poorly worded and thought out post. It makes better sense but, ignores the fact that you and your little band of merry men ( who go around liking each others posts and putting zzz's on all us infidels) are not the pulse of the fanbase either.
I'd be willing to bet that we are a much closer representation of the fanbase than a small number of posters on one fan board. But the tribalism/groupthink/echo chamber has deafened you to anything but your narrow perspective.

Also, its extremely ironic that you and Rack zzz'd the post you quoted, haha!!!

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'd be willing to bet that we are a much closer representation of the fanbase than a small number of posters on one fan board. But the tribalism/groupthink/echo chamber has deafened you to anything but your narrow perspective.

Dude, if there really was a tribalism/groupthink/echo chamber....then wouldn't we all have consensus on this? Point being, it doesn't exist. Certainly some people will flock together when they have the same opinion and that happens all the time...but those groups change people frequently based on their opinions on diverse issues.

Fans feel how they do about this based on how fans feel about Gundy prior to this...Those of us who think he's a great coach and love his in your face antics with the press actually dig it...those who don't, many members of the press themselves...don't. It's simple and both sides can be fans and feel either way. It's a free fandom...not an echo chamber.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Dude, if there really was a tribalism/groupthink/echo chamber....then wouldn't we all have consensus on this? Point being, it doesn't exist. Certainly some people will flock together when they have the same opinion and that happens all the time...but those groups change people frequently based on their opinions on diverse issues.

Fans feel how they do about this based on how fans feel about Gundy prior to this...Those of us who think he's a great coach and love his in your face antics with the press actually dig it...those who don't, many members of the press themselves...don't. It's simple and both sides can be fans and feel either way. It's a free fandom...not an echo chamber.
Yet you often lead the charge attacking dissenting opinions...... Cognitive dissonance much?

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yet you often lead the charge attacking dissenting opinions...... Cognitive dissonance much?
Yep, I have a strong opinion in that I believe "fans" should support our head coach and his staff and that they should, most often, mirror his mindset. That's how Culture and a fan following works. That being said, I also understand that people have diverse opinions. I and others don't like those dissenting opinions sometimes, because I feel they are detrimental to the program, so I attempt to counter them. So, yep, I also often respond in kind to those who attack our coach...Always have, always will...that's what "fans" (by definition) do. Of course there is a line where if the coach steps over it I stop supporting them...like supporting illegal behavior, exhibiting a "win at all cost" mentality, abusing players, making the game bigger than life itself. All those things would have me stop supporting the coach...but this coach isn't that person currently and, in fact, actively explains that all the time...so I just have to stand up to those who seem to want him to be a win at all cost guy.

Last edited:

stonewallpoke

Poke of Georgia
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Fort Stewart, GA

This post is positively dripping with irony.

Nov 14, 2010
Yep, I have a strong opinion in that I believe "fans" should support our head coach and his staff and that they should, most often, mirror his mindset. That's how Culture and a fan following works. That being said, I also understand that people have diverse opinions. I and others don't like those dissenting opinions sometimes, because I feel they are detrimental to the program, so I attempt to counter them. So, yep, I also often respond in kind to those who attack our coach...Always have, always will...that's what "fans" (by definition) do. Of course there is a line where if the coach steps over it I stop supporting them...like supporting illegal behavior, exhibiting a "win at all cost" mentality, abusing players, making the game bigger than life itself. All those things would have me stop supporting the coach...but this coach isn't that person currently and, in fact, actively explains that all the time...so I just have to stand up to those who seem to want him to be a win at all cost guy.
How would it have been detrimental to OSU if he had said this, which was my 2nd post in the entire thread on page 1

How about say

As the leader of this program I can't get caught up in that kind of a roller coaster because if I did it would affect how I did my my job.

And...

How would that be detrimental?

Or...
How would it have been detrimental to OSU to handle it in the manner Ptak proposed?

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
How would it have been detrimental to OSU if he had said this, which is what I proposed on page 1

How about say

And...

How would it have been detrimental to OSU to handle it in the manner Ptak proposed?
You're completely missing the point. No criticism of Gundy is EVER warranted.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
How would it have been detrimental to OSU if he had said this, which was my 2nd post in the entire thread on page 1

How about say

And...

Or...
It wouldn't have. It's PR 101.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
You guys know what he means...he's talking about internet "fans" who bash him...the response was to a question from our favorite commentator who writes from the perspective of an athletes knee OR being fed chicken by ones mother. Context is everything. he makes positive comments all the time in positive ways about our fans...typically after big wins at home. His response was more about the reporter asking a seriously STUPID question than it was anything about our fans. He can be glib at times with reporters...its true and maybe he should have more patience with them...but that answer wasn't about the fan base...Unless you are looking to stir up something you should be able to see that.
Still should not have said it. Probably what he meant but still dumb dumb dumb. Time for Gundy to be more careful with his words or Holder needs to say something to him.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
How would it have been detrimental to OSU if he had said this, which was my 2nd post in the entire thread on page 1Once again, he was responding to an annoying reporter asking a dumb question...Have you never said anything off the cuff?

How about say

And...

Or...
He has said that a 1,000 times...maybe 10,000 times.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Not even close...
If he turns into just another coach who is "win at all cost" without regard to the student athletes, covers up cheating and crime, then you will be the first to hear me bedowngrade him. but for this? NO...it's just stupid that we have a thread here about this...it was NOTHING...the only people who think it is something have an axe to grind or are sports media members tying to stir up crap to be mad at him about.