Gundy comment on fans

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
Context?

on the surface that sounds like a compliment. or.... it sounds like he's talking about "certain fans", and the haters are once again grabbing the pitch forks.
I didn't hear the comment, but this provides a little bit more context. There are always going to be idiots that coaches should ignore. But it doesn't come off very well to make it sound like you could care less about your entire fanbase.

1546279578070.png

Nov 14, 2010
There is really no other way to read that comment other than Gundy isn't concerned about what the fans think.

What a dumb thing to say in a public forum

The reporter didn't ask about X's and O's.

They asked about fans perception of the season.

I'll bet he'd care if those same fans stopped showing up and spending all the money they do to support his program.

Does he care what big donors think?

What a stupid comment

How about say

Hey, fans are great. Especially ours!

We sold out every home game this year which just shows how great our fans are.

They get really high with the highs and really low with the lows.

As the leader of this program I can't get caught up in that kind of a roller coaster because if I did it would affect how I did my my job.

And...
My job is to run this program as best I know how.

We've had a lot of success and we'll have success again.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You guys know what he means...he's talking about internet "fans" who bash him...the response was to a question from our favorite commentator who writes from the perspective of an athletes knee OR being fed chicken by ones mother. Context is everything. he makes positive comments all the time in positive ways about our fans...typically after big wins at home. His response was more about the reporter asking a seriously STUPID question than it was anything about our fans. He can be glib at times with reporters...its true and maybe he should have more patience with them...but that answer wasn't about the fan base...Unless you are looking to stir up something you should be able to see that.

Nov 14, 2010
You guys know what he means...he's talking about internet "fans" who bash him...the response was to a question from our favorite commentator who writes from the perspective of an athletes knee OR being fed chicken by ones mother. Context is everything. he makes positive comments all the time in positive ways about our fans...typically after big wins at home. His response was more about the reporter asking a seriously STUPID question than it was anything about our fans. He can be glib at times with reporters...its true and maybe he should have more patience with them...but that answer wasn't about the fan base...Unless you are looking to stir up something you should be able to see that.
He means....

He doesn't care what the fans think

He flirts with other jobs on multiple occasions, gets a pay raise to $5 million a year, then rips off a 6-6, then bashes has fan base.

Geez

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
He means....

He doesn't care what the fans think
Considering some of our fans are seriously deranged regarding their expectations I'd agree with him in many cases.
"I don't give a rats ass about twitter" frat noise...

That's how he feels about "fans" who express their disapproval, despite their VERY limited knowledge, with his and his staffs jobs. Totally understandable.

Oct 30, 2007
Did anyone hear the actual comment? Not everything you read second hand on twitter is 100% factual. I mean, if he said "some of our fans" instead of simply saying "fans", it changes the entire context of his comment.

Edit: The comment is in the Tulsa World. So apparently it's accurate.

Nov 14, 2010
Considering some of our fans are seriously deranged regarding their expectations I'd agree with him in many cases.
Their expectations are deranged because they expect more than 6-6 with a coach that is making $5 million a year.

Or that we expect better recruiting?

What is deranged about that?

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Context?

on the surface that sounds like a compliment. or.... it sounds like he's talking about "certain fans", and the haters are once again grabbing the pitch forks.
I didn't hear the comment, but this provides a little bit more context. There are always going to be idiots that coaches should ignore. But it doesn't come off very well to make it sound like you could care less about your entire fanbase.

View attachment 67133
Was the question really about fan perception or was it a more nuanced question about people that don't like the way the season turned out? If the latter, then the guy is manipulating the tweet to make it worse than it was. Which wouldn't surprise me. Direct quote of the question and answer is what I want.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2006
I just listened to the last press conference and didn't hear the comment. Maybe I listened to the wrong video but I think if it was as bad as people want it to sound there would be a clip.
I'm betting it's taken completely out of context.

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
I just listened to the last press conference and didn't hear the comment. Maybe I listened to the wrong video but I think if it was as bad as people want it to sound there would be a clip.
I'm betting it's taken completely out of context.
It was a bait question and Gundy gave it an off the cuff "screw-you reporter" answer. Probably in poor taste but who really cares. He is constantly having to deflect crap questions that other coaches just don't get.

Honestly, did this really hurt any feelings out there?

Oct 30, 2007
Was the question really about Dan perception or was it a more nuanced question about people that don't like the way the season turned out? If there later, then the guy is manipulating the tweet to make it worse than it was. Which wouldn't surprise me. Direct quote of the question and answer is what I want.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
The question & answer comes at the 8:12 mark of the video.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Their expectations are deranged because they expect more than 6-6 with a coach that is making $5 million a year.

Or that we expect better recruiting?

What is deranged about that?
No one said we shouldn't expect a better year than we had...oh, twister of words. It was a glib comment to a reporter who often brings in things like "fans expectations" to get a reaction perhaps? or make a story out of nothing? who knows...

Nov 14, 2010
Okay
Gundy' comment was made in response to fans perception after this season, where we went 6-6 and didn't recruit well.

You wanted context about Gundys comment but not about yours.