Gundy’s comments today

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 7, 2006
this. 100%. It used to be such a good resource for all things OSU, but something changed and now there seems to be this undercurrent of anger or resentment. It is all clickbait, and the fact that they have written FOUR articles about this yesterday alone should tell us something.
Seemed to me around 18-24 months ago that they just completely sold out and with that they just threw click bait/controversial headlines to generate traffic. Also saw an uptick in the amount of merchandise they were trying to sell and trying to force everyone to their 'premium' site.

Who knows what any of those guys actually think, but the takes they publish strike me as consistently negative about OSU now and a bit heavy on their admiration of OU/Riley. I probably read 5% of what they put out at this point and had to completely stop listening to their podcast - which is just too much bro and Gundy hate mixed together for me.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Personally I'd rather we didn't even know his politics.
Exactly. The politicization of EVERY DAMN THING IN THE WORLD is more than exhausting.

I was thinking about when I saw BlackKlansman, by Spike Lee, the other night. Good movie, btw.
Anyway, the undercover detective trying to infiltrate both the KKK (as a black guy, btw) & the Black Rights Movement meets and starts hanging out with this young woman who's a real vocal leader in their movement. Turns out she's Angela Davis, fwiw. Well things progress between the two of them and they go out a few times together, then about the 3rd date he asks her "do you ever talk or think about anything besides politics?" She replies "what else is there?"

So, it just kinda reminded me how just completely all-consumed by politics people can be. I still think the vast majority of us are busy living our lives & choose not to be consumed by politics, but damn, there are people out there who can politicize anything.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2011
Exactly. The politicization of EVERY DAMN THING IN THE WORLD is more than exhausting.

I was thinking about when I saw BlackKlansman, by Spike Lee, the other night. Good movie, btw.
Anyway, the undercover detective trying to infiltrate both the KKK (as a black guy, btw) & the Black Rights Movement meets and starts hanging out with this young woman who's a real vocal leader in their movement. Well things progress between the two of them and they go out a few times together, then about the 3rd date he asks her "do you ever talk or think about anything besides politics?" She replies "what else is there?"

So, it just kinda reminded me how just completely all-consumed by politics people can be. I still think the vast majority of us are busy living our lives & choose not to be consumed by politics, but damn, there are people out there who can politicize anything.
It is exhausting for sure. Not only that, it seems that civil discourse between those who disagree is a lost cause most of the time. Which is sad, in my humble but correct opinion. :p

Also, dude... spoiler alert! I kid, as I know that movie has been out long enough for me to ample oppurtunity to have seen it. It's still on my list.

Feb 5, 2007
Sorry for bringing politics into this. That's my bad. I said more than I wanted to. Blame the devils sweet juice. The facts are Gungy was spot on for 95% of what he said. I, like everyone else would love to see the country open for business yesterday. But there was that 5% that was better left unsaid. It tainted the other 95% to the point no one is talking about it. Maybe this all just blows over. But I am curious to see the butterfly effect on recruiting.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Wow, you really don't get happy about much in life do you?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Personally, I get happy about plenty of things. I am an optimist and it takes a lot to get my feathers ruffled. I also have been ardently in Gundy’s corner on nearly every occasion (you can check my post history).

But I agree Gundy needs to keep these opinions to himself. This was irresponsible and dangerous to say. Some people were already taking this lightly and they don’t need further encouragement. This is a life or death issue. We should be listening to health experts (especially epidemiologists and virologists), not cable news talk show hosts who are trying to boost their ratings, not football coaches who listen to those talk show hosts.

My wife and I have lost 80% of our income due to the restrictions we’re under. But I’m not going to put my 71 year old father with diabetes at risk (even though he’s in better physical shape than I am). I’m also not going to do that to my 13 year old son who is VERY athletic, but is immunocompromised. Each person that disregards these restrictions puts at-risk individuals in greater risk, by spreading the disease.

I’m not saying Gundy is proposing disregarding the requirements, but his statements were laced with skepticism that can feed the disregard that already exists in others. He’s a leader and he has to be more responsible with how he leads.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Personally, I get happy about plenty of things. I am an optimist and it takes a lot to get my feathers ruffled. I also have been ardently in Gundy’s corner on nearly every occasion (you can check my post history).

But I agree Gundy needs to keep these opinions to himself. This was irresponsible and dangerous to say. Some people were already taking this lightly and they don’t need further encouragement. This is a life or death issue. We should be listening to health experts (especially epidemiologists and virologists), not cable news talk show hosts who are trying to boost their ratings, not football coaches who listen to those talk show hosts.

My wife and I have lost 80% of our income due to the restrictions we’re under. But I’m not going to put my 71 year old father with diabetes at risk (even though he’s in better physical shape than I am). I’m also not going to do that to my 13 year old son who is VERY athletic, but is immunocompromised. Each person that disregards these restrictions puts at-risk individuals in greater risk, by spreading the disease.

I’m not saying Gundy is proposing disregarding the requirements, but his statements were laced with skepticism that can feed the disregard that already exists in others. He’s a leader and he has to be more responsible with how he leads.
Are you missing the daily briefings????

Furthermore, the insinuation that even having a discussion about this in a free society is a bad thing, or "irresponsible" is flat out scary. I'm not saying Gundy needed to go there, btw.

Hopefully all those projections that were sky high & now falling precipitously mean it'll be safe for you & your wife to return to work sooner rather than later.:thumbup:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Wow, you really don't get happy about much in life do you?

I wasn't talking to you honestly. Older is crotchety about pretty much everything it seems.

Oct 30, 2007
There's no doubt that Coach Gundy has lost a lot of his filter as he gets older. That's both refreshing & scary at the same time. I wish that people weren't so sensitive, but we live in a world where people will get butthurt over just about anything. Coach gave his opinion. There's no reason to get upset if you disagree with it. He won't be the one making this decision anyways.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Are you missing the daily briefings????

Furthermore, the insinuation that even having a discussion about this in a free society is a bad thing, or "irresponsible" is flat out scary. I'm not saying Gundy needed to go there, btw.

Hopefully all those projections that were sky high & now falling precipitously mean it'll be safe for you & your wife to return to work sooner rather than later.:thumbup:
Thanks for the well-wishes. Sincerely.

I respectfully disagree with you regarding it being scary that his comments could be deemed irresponsible. It has long been illegal to yell “Fire!” in a crowded venue, like a theater. I’m not saying what Gundy said should be illegal, but it is irresponsible by comparison... IMHO. To sow skepticism toward “so called” medical experts while promoting political punditry is irresponsible as a leader. He is a cultural leader in Oklahoma and beyond. As Uncle Ben told Peter, “With great power...” ah, you know the rest.

Once again, I love Gundy. I just think he made a major misstep here. Hopefully he’s more careful with this topic in the future.