Gundy’s comments today- the non sports parts

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
You guys make it sound like storming the beaches and Normandy. I went and got some stuff at Home Depot this weekend. It was crowded like Home Depot is on the weekend in the spring. Somehow I survived. Should I get buried in Arlington cemetery when I die because I made it?
They didn't get to turn around and leave at Normandy. Their mission was little more important than my bag of mulch. I get it, people are going to do what they want regardless. I didn't yell at anyone, I used my constitutional right and quietly left.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
They didn't get to turn around and leave at Normandy. Their mission was little more important than my bag of mulch. I get it, people are going to do what they want regardless. I didn't yell at anyone, I used my constitutional right and quietly left.
I respect that and shouldn't make sarcastic comparisons to something so serious, but you likely would have been fine with your mulch.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Agreed but this is the proverbial 1 step up 2 steps back. We will get our ice cream, our churches and hopefully
our jobs back in time but pent up frustration is not a good excuse and this just proves that in a lot of cases we aren't ready to open up responsibly. This was a business doing exactly what everyone is clamoring for and then they get treated like this. Over ice cream for God's sake.
Do you think it might have been a better idea had local governments NOT closed down businesses? That way people could have spread out responsibly instead of going to the one ice cream shop that is open or the one beach that is open. If we hadn't closed all those places of business down and just let Americans practice social distancing and mask wearing on their own while the elderly and immune compromised shelter in place...IMHO, these types of things would not have occurred.. and we would have still mitigated the virus while keeping the economy going. Instead we put all kinds of limits on businesses and even forced them to close, we may have mitigated the virus (that is debatable), but we certainly killed the economy and peoples personal livelihoods plus we forced people to crowd the few places that remained open.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Heck Home Depot and Lowes in Tulsa have been mad houses the entire time this has been going on.
The home depot I use is never a mad house and they are only allowing entry in the contractors area...which IMHO is counter productive as you funnel people into one entrance instead of allowing them to entry at various socially distant locations. The Lowes on the other hand...ugh that place is nuts and I'm steering clear for a while.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Wear a seatbelt?
Get your car inspected?
Wear a motorcycle helmet?
Get your vaccinations?
Obey traffic signals?
Use a trash can?
Use a toilet?

SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol Strawman much.
Driving is a privilege carried out on public property not a right. So there are going to be rules.
No, I didn't get my car inspected not required.
No, I don't wear a Motorcycle helmet not required.
Yes I got my mandatory vaccines. We are doing something wrong in that department in the U.S. Infant mortality rate is way to high in the U.S. vaccines are supposed to help with that. We do way more vaccines than any other country so we should have the lowest infant mortality rate right.
Yes I obey traffic signs see #1
Yes I use a trash can. Don't like wading in trash. Then there is the whole public property thing where rules are made concerning public property and its use. Also on private property the owner has the right to make whatever rules he wants regarding trash.
Yes I use a toilet unless I'm out in the woods then I do like the bears. Once again one of those property rights things the owner of the property can determine how he wants that handled and on public property rules are set according to public standards.

Yes the government has an obligation to set rules for public properties. If they want to impose mask rules on public properties I have no problem with that. They have no right to do it on private properties. Costco has a mask policy if you want to go in you wear a mask. It's perfectly within their right to do that on their property.
The point is, somewhere in the US, ALL of those items are required by law yet inevitably someone feels abused by the government having to abide by something they don’t agree with.

BTW, if you ride a motorcycle without a helmet, you’ve clearly abandoned logic in your everyday life.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
The point is, somewhere in the US, ALL of those items are required by law yet inevitably someone feels abused by the government having to abide by something they don’t agree with.

BTW, if you ride a motorcycle without a helmet, you’ve clearly abandoned logic in your everyday life.

Clearly you've never ridden a motorcycle. A helmet can save you in a wreck but it also blocks your vision and your ability to hear. It's a trade off, you are more aware of what's around you without a helmet and less likely to get in a wreck especially in town riding at lower speeds. On the highway I prefer a helmet because it gets rid of the wind noise and traffic is more predictable. Anyone who has ridden a lot knows what the trade offs are and that is why they have problems with helmet laws.

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
Do you think it might have been a better idea had local governments NOT closed down businesses? That way people could have spread out responsibly instead of going to the one ice cream shop that is open or the one beach that is open. If we hadn't closed all those places of business down and just let Americans practice social distancing and mask wearing on their own while the elderly and immune compromised shelter in place...IMHO, these types of things would not have occurred.. and we would have still mitigated the virus while keeping the economy going. Instead we put all kinds of limits on businesses and even forced them to close, we may have mitigated the virus (that is debatable), but we certainly killed the economy and peoples personal livelihoods plus we forced people to crowd the few places that remained open.
You may be right but you're speaking in the world of "what if" instead of "what is." The fact is they are closed down so why not use common sense and judgment instead of mad-rushing the one open ice cream stand. This kind of situation actually makes a case that people can't be trusted and that is why we shouldn't re-open until it's safer. I'm not taking that stance but you can see where some would and justifiably so. My whole argument is that if we just act responsibly, things will get back to normal sooner than later but if we keep shooting ourselves in the foot it's going to take longer. We don't want a second wave of infections or hundreds of hotspots around the country forcing companies to close down again. If we get it right the first time we can mitigate damage and return to a sense of normalcy.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Clearly you've never ridden a motorcycle. A helmet can save you in a wreck but it also blocks your vision and your ability to hear. It's a trade off, you are more aware of what's around you without a helmet and less likely to get in a wreck especially in town riding at lower speeds. On the highway I prefer a helmet because it gets rid of the wind noise and traffic is more predictable. Anyone who has ridden a lot knows what the trade offs are and that is why they have problems with helmet laws.
Lol. I’ve been wearing helmets for almost 50 years. Your reasons are complete BS.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Not wearing a helmet and hearing danger coming has saved my butt twice. Both times at a stoplight. One bike was totaled under a car I was away from it because I heard the danger in time.
From a nurse friend of mine.

Wearing a helmet on a motorcycle just means open casket.

Most motorcycle wrecks she saw were fatal.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You may be right but you're speaking in the world of "what if" instead of "what is." The fact is they are closed down so why not use common sense and judgment instead of mad-rushing the one open ice cream stand. This kind of situation actually makes a case that people can't be trusted and that is why we shouldn't re-open until it's safer. I'm not taking that stance but you can see where some would and justifiably so. My whole argument is that if we just act responsibly, things will get back to normal sooner than later but if we keep shooting ourselves in the foot it's going to take longer. We don't want a second wave of infections or hundreds of hotspots around the country forcing companies to close down again. If we get it right the first time we can mitigate damage and return to a sense of normalcy.
I don't disagree, except that I feel we didn't get it right the first time...i.e. forced closings should have never happened killing the economy with no evidence that we really did much by going that far...But IMHO we did do something by social distancing, washing our hands, using hand sanitizer and wearing mask in tighter public spaces. I'm thinking we could have done those things without shutting down all business.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Lol. I’ve been wearing helmets for almost 50 years. Your reasons are complete BS.

Not wearing a helmet and hearing danger coming has saved my butt twice. Both times at a stoplight. One bike was totaled under a car I was away from it because I heard the danger in time.
Uh huh. And you wear no eye protection because it might hinder your sight. And you have the quietest muffler/tailpipes available because you want to hear everything.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Uh huh. And you wear no eye protection because it might hinder your sight. And you have the quietest muffler/tailpipes available because you want to hear everything.

I love the way you keep getting more and more insane to keep your strawman going trying to make a point with it.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I love the way you keep getting more and more insane to keep your strawman going trying to make a point with it.
Insane? I’m not the one that rides a motorcycle without a helmet.