Gundy’s comments today- the non sports parts

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Absolutely agree about not wearing one every time you "step off your property," but that is not the issue. The issue is if you go near people even though you are not showing symptoms you should wear a mask because it's the asymptomatic people that are the most worrisome to the health experts. I go off my property multiple times a day without wearing a mask but I have it with me or around my neck in the event I encounter people at a closer range. That's the simple courtesy I've been talking about. I go into the post office, I put it on. I come out, I take it off. In the grocery store on, off when I'm done etc, etc. I will never comprehend how a simple act of courtesy becomes conflated with attacks against my constitutional rights.
How do you feel about requiring someone to wear a mask in a public space or place of business where social distancing isn't an issue?
Outdoors in a wide open space, no problem.
Outdoor sidewalk used by others, wear a mask.
Indoor non-busy private area, no problem.
Indoor public area, wear a mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Some experts disagree.

Simple test. Breathe into a paper towel for 10 minutes. You’ll notice the paper towel becomes moist. That’s not condensation. That’s the moisture aerosol in your breath. Moisture that does not make it into the atmosphere. The virus clings to moisture droplets.

Does a cloth mask stop all or most of the virus laden aerosol in your breath? No, but it does stop some. And that’s the point.

You probably advocate wearing gloves to. All the experts will tell you that is the worst thing you can do because you don't wash them then touch yourself and your stuff with them. I cringe every time I see workers wearing gloves instead of having a can of hand sanitizer near by. Hand sanitizer between customers is much safer for the worker and the customers.
Nope

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Some experts disagree.

Simple test. Breathe into a paper towel for 10 minutes. You’ll notice the paper towel becomes moist. That’s not condensation. That’s the moisture aerosol in your breath. Moisture that does not make it into the atmosphere. The virus clings to moisture droplets.

Does a cloth mask stop all or most of the virus laden aerosol in your breath? No, but it does stop some. And that’s the point.

Walk around with a surgical mask on for 8 hours. You will notice it doesn't become moist. Had to do it at the hospital when I got my heart check up.
Do the test.

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
How do you feel about requiring someone to wear a mask in a public space or a place of business where social distancing isn't an issue?
I would be comfortable not wearing a mask in a large building or outdoor area if people are not crammed too close together. That is where the other hygiene practices will be most helpful such as hand sanitizers and washing because the main threat at that point is from picking it up from other surfaces. If people would use common sense instead of the in-your-face , the constitution says I don't have to do it mentality we would be fine. Unfortunately too many among us would rather be righteous than right.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Do the test.

I did a real world test with the actual thing people are wearing. It doesn't get moist. I actually wear an N95 when I go into places that have a lot of people. Set it on my dash in the sun when not in use to allow ultra violet to kill what it can for using it again.

Oct 30, 2007
I would be comfortable not wearing a mask in a large building or outdoor area if people are not crammed too close together. That is where the other hygiene practices will be most helpful such as hand sanitizers and washing because the main threat at that point is from picking it up from other surfaces. If people would use common sense instead of the in-your-face , the constitution says I don't have to do it mentality we would be fine. Unfortunately too many among us would rather be righteous than right.
That's very reasonable. I just don't like the fact that some municipalities have taken a broad-brush approach by requiring everyone to wear a mask at their place of business. I work in an office where social distancing isn't an issue, and I don't see any point to wearing a mask for 8 hours per day. I'll wear a mask in places where social distancing is difficult, but I feel like it's overkill to go beyond that. Common sense goes a long way.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Do the test.

I did a real world test with the actual thing people are wearing. It doesn't get moist. I actually wear an N95 when I go into places that have a lot of people. Set it on my dash in the sun when not in use to allow ultra violet to kill what it can for using it again.
I wear all sorts of masks while skiing - 100’s of times. All sorts of fabrics and coverage. They always get moist despite the constant drying effective of the wind. I’ve also done the paper towel test. Moist every time. Maybe you just didn’t notice or didn’t know to look. But if you don’t think your every breath is an aerosol of lung moisture, you’re sadly mistaken.

So, if you wear a mask in public around others, what’s your beef? Are you beefing because you think mask are silly and ineffective but wear one anyway?

Last edited:

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
I wear all sorts of masks while skiing - 100’s of times. All sorts of fabrics and coverage. They always get moist despite the constant drying effective of the wind. I’ve also done the paper towel test. Moist every time. Maybe you just didn’t notice or didn’t know to look.

So, if you wear a mask in public around others, what’s your beef? Are you beefing because you think mask are silly and ineffective but wear one anyway?

Stated my beef earlier. Part of living in a free country is having the right to choose. I don't feel the government has the right to be tyrannical and take that right away from free citizens. Once you give them that power they will never give it up and it will carry over into other aspects of our lives.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I wear all sorts of masks while skiing - 100’s of times. All sorts of fabrics and coverage. They always get moist despite the constant drying effective of the wind. I’ve also done the paper towel test. Moist every time. Maybe you just didn’t notice or didn’t know to look.

Stated my beef earlier. Part of living in a free country is having the right to choose. I don't feel the government has the right to be tyrannical and take that right away from free citizens. Once you give them that power they will never give it up and it will carry over into other aspects of our lives.
Wear a seatbelt?
Get your car inspected?
Wear a motorcycle helmet?
Get your vaccinations?
Obey traffic signals?
Use a trash can?
Use a toilet?

SMH

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
There is an article in the news today from both right and left publications (for those conspiracy advocates) about an Ice Cream store in Massachusetts that was allowed to open to regular customers. The customers were so out of control, and defying social distancing that the shop had to close down. One employee quit because of the abuse she took.
This was on Cape Cod, home of wealthy, highly educated families. Massachusetts has the highest ranked public schools in the nation. Apparently that means nothing when it comes to common sense. They became animals because they couldn't get a scoop of ice cream served to them quickly enough. The store finally has re-opened after a public shaming of the customers. Just imagine if you were one of the law abiding customers who got caught up in that mess with people yelling and screaming all on top of each other. You now have to fear that you may have contracted the virus because others simply don't give a damn. If it can happen there, it can and will happen anywhere. Being educated or a constitutionalist doesn't guarantee you are capable of making wise decisions. Looks like it was an excellent way to help re-open the economy.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
There is an article in the news today from both right and left publications (for those conspiracy advocates) about an Ice Cream store in Massachusetts that was allowed to open to regular customers. The customers were so out of control, and defying social distancing that the shop had to close down. One employee quit because of the abuse she took.
This was on Cape Cod, home of wealthy, highly educated families. Massachusetts has the highest ranked public schools in the nation. Apparently that means nothing when it comes to common sense. They became animals because they couldn't get a scoop of ice cream served to them quickly enough. The store finally has re-opened after a public shaming of the customers. Just imagine if you were one of the law abiding customers who got caught up in that mess with people yelling and screaming all on top of each other. You now have to fear that you may have contracted the virus because others simply don't give a damn. If it can happen there, it can and will happen anywhere. Being educated or a constitutionalist doesn't guarantee you are capable of making wise decisions. Looks like it was an excellent way to help re-open the economy.
Stupid people being stupid, but there is a lot of pent up frustration by a large chunk of the population tired of being told they can't earn a living, go to church, or even go get a scoop of ice cream.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Man this weekend was brutal. I needed something a Lowes . My wife and I went out. The parking lot was full, so only I went in to the store. It was nuts, people rudely walking over you. I turned around and exited the store.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Wear a seatbelt?
Get your car inspected?
Wear a motorcycle helmet?
Get your vaccinations?
Obey traffic signals?
Use a trash can?
Use a toilet?

SMH

Lol Strawman much.
Driving is a privilege carried out on public property not a right. So there are going to be rules.
No, I didn't get my car inspected not required.
No, I don't wear a Motorcycle helmet not required.
Yes I got my mandatory vaccines. We are doing something wrong in that department in the U.S. Infant mortality rate is way to high in the U.S. vaccines are supposed to help with that. We do way more vaccines than any other country so we should have the lowest infant mortality rate right.
Yes I obey traffic signs see #1
Yes I use a trash can. Don't like wading in trash. Then there is the whole public property thing where rules are made concerning public property and its use. Also on private property the owner has the right to make whatever rules he wants regarding trash.
Yes I use a toilet unless I'm out in the woods then I do like the bears. Once again one of those property rights things the owner of the property can determine how he wants that handled and on public property rules are set according to public standards.

Yes the government has an obligation to set rules for public properties. If they want to impose mask rules on public properties I have no problem with that. They have no right to do it on private properties. Costco has a mask policy if you want to go in you wear a mask. It's perfectly within their right to do that on their property.

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
Stupid people being stupid, but there is a lot of pent up frustration by a large chunk of the population tired of being told they can't earn a living, go to church, or even go get a scoop of ice cream.
Agreed but this is the proverbial 1 step up 2 steps back. We will get our ice cream, our churches and hopefully
our jobs back in time but pent up frustration is not a good excuse and this just proves that in a lot of cases we aren't ready to open up responsibly. This was a business doing exactly what everyone is clamoring for and then they get treated like this. Over ice cream for God's sake.

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
Man this weekend was brutal. I needed something a Lowes . My wife and I went out. The parking lot was full, so only I went in to the store. It was nuts, people rudely walking over you. I turned around and exited the store.
I had the same experience at Home Depot. I got halfway in the door and saw the crowd and just turned around.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Agreed but this is the proverbial 1 step up 2 steps back. We will get our ice cream, our churches and hopefully
our jobs back in time but pent up frustration is not a good excuse and this just proves that in a lot of cases we aren't ready to open up responsibly. This was a business doing exactly what everyone is clamoring for and then they get treated like this. Over ice cream for God's sake.
Reasonable response, but if we wait for people to stop being jack wagons we'll all be broke before we reopen.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I had the same experience at Home Depot. I got halfway in the door and saw the crowd and just turned around.
You guys make it sound like storming the beaches and Normandy. I went and got some stuff at Home Depot this weekend. It was crowded like Home Depot is on the weekend in the spring. Somehow I survived. Should I get buried in Arlington cemetery when I die because I made it?

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
You guys make it sound like storming the beaches and Normandy. I went and got some stuff at Home Depot this weekend. It was crowded like Home Depot is on the weekend in the spring. Somehow I survived. Should I get buried in Arlington cemetery when I die because I made it?
Which one did you go to ? I told my wife, it was like a war zone with people running around with no regard.

It was so crowded that you had to wait for someone to leave to just park. It was like Christmas on crack or like Black Friday. Lots of pent up demand.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Heck Home Depot and Lowes in Tulsa have been mad houses the entire time this has been going on.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Which one did you go to ? I told my wife, it was like a war zone with people running around with no regard.
I went on the NW Expressway in OKC. It was busy, but it always is this time of the year, on the weekend. I was buying a new edger blade and some grass seed. Had to make the inside purchase then go out and re-enter the outside part for the grass seed. A little nutty but I didn't really think about it being so different than any other time.