Grayson Boomer is in the transfer portal

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We lost another player to transfer this morning.

Oklahoma State's Xavier Player hits the transfer portal
STILLWATER, Okla. — For the second day in a row, an Oklahoma State football player has entered the transfer portal. Freshman cornerback Xavier Player, a former 3-star prospect from Cibolo, TX., appeared in the portal Tuesday morning.
Does this mean we have lost them or just that they are looking around to see who might have interest in them? Do we pick up kids this way as well...I’m kind of old school and don’t like this but it is freedom I suppose.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
How busy is the portal right now with all the teams finished for the year awaiting bowls? Does the ability to enter the portal at any time hurt all the teams except the blue bloods whom I’d assume would exert pressure on kids to wait until the seasons over and they are still in champion games? Thus blue blood back ups don’t enter until after others?? Like most NCAA attempts to make things more “fair,” is this just another one that will make the rich richer and keep everyone else down??

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You hit the nail on the head about Dru Brown scanning the field for receivers better than Spencer. I think the only reason Spencer got the nod over Dru was because of his running ability and his ability to make a play more with his legs than Dru. Granted, Dru runs the ball pretty well himself contrary to what people say on here. They just need to go look at his highlights at Hawaii before he came here. He is a very good passer and its sad that this coaching staff didn't use his abilities more while he was here. I don't understand the dink and dunk passes the last two games with him as he is a very good downfield passer. Maybe its because our Oline is not very good i don't know. He made some mistakes yes, but I think he is the better thrower of the two. Gundy just went with a guy that had better legs than a guy who is a better passer. My two cents
And the guy that is going to be here at least 2 more, likely 3 more...years

Oct 30, 2007
Does this mean we have lost them or just that they are looking around to see who might have interest in them? Do we pick up kids this way as well...I’m kind of old school and don’t like this but it is freedom I suppose.
I don't think we've ever had a player return after entering the transfer portal. I'm not sure the coaching staff would allow them to return if they wanted to. Last year we picked up Jordan McCray & Israel Antwine, so we've benefited from it as well.

I'm not a big fan of the transfer portal. It provides a lot of freedom freedom for players, but it can be harmful as well. We had a couple players enter the transfer portal last year, and no schools picked them up. I'm not even sure if they're still playing the sport now.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
How does Boomer (4*) and CJ (4*) fit this narrative that we can't mold 2-3 stars into being competitive ?

Don't you need to list some 2-3 star guys to fit your narrative ?
No, I don't. All I have to do is look at how the 2-3* players play against the 4-5*. Saw plenty of that Saturday on the O and D line. Both were dominated. There have been individual successes for sure with some underrated players falling through the cracks, but the difference in talent is obvious. If you don't think losing players like Boomer affects recruiting I don't know what to tell you. We'll just have to disagree.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
How busy is the portal right now with all the teams finished for the year awaiting bowls? Does the ability to enter the portal at any time hurt all the teams except the blue bloods whom I’d assume would exert pressure on kids to wait until the seasons over and they are still in champion games? Thus blue blood back ups don’t enter until after others?? Like most NCAA attempts to make things more “fair,” is this just another one that will make the rich richer and keep everyone else down??
I don't know about any of the rest of your questions, but as of 8:30 this morning, I think Brett McMurphy mentioned it, that there were 69 players who had entered the transfer portal from 38 different teams including five teams from the Big 12.

Edit: my numbers were off and this is in just the past 24 hours.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1201884570569920512?s=19

Nov 6, 2010
I hope OSU uses the Transfer Portal this off-season. Could use a starting corner with experience too go beside Rodarius Williams next year.
We need to be mining it hard every year. It is part of the recruiting game now, and if we're not doing it, we are selling ourselves way short.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
We need to be mining it hard every year. It is part of the recruiting game now, and if we're not doing it, we are selling ourselves way short.
Agreed but until the NCAA actually fixes the scholarship problem with it we likely won’t be able to take more than a few guys.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
No, I don't. All I have to do is look at how the 2-3* players play against the 4-5*. Saw plenty of that Saturday on the O and D line. Both were dominated. There have been individual successes for sure with some underrated players falling through the cracks, but the difference in talent is obvious. If you don't think losing players like Boomer affects recruiting I don't know what to tell you. We'll just have to disagree.
I never said 2-3 stars can beat 4-5 stars.
I never said losing players like Boomer doesn’t effect recruiting.

I thought you said Boomer leaving and CJ not playing supported your view of the false theme that OSU develops 2-3 stars into great players. I was saying those can’t be examples since neither were 2-3 stars.

After re-reading your original post, I now see that those statements, along with a bunch more, were just a bunch of bitching jumbled together. Sorry for not following it the first time

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
I’ve spent zero time looking into the transfer portal, but I’m curious what the average star ranking (from HS recruitment) is for the players entering. Are these 3 and 4 stars looking for a better situation, or 2 stars just looking for some PT anywhere they can find it. Not sure there’s any real correlation. I get the feeling players that have a ton of offers (3, 4, & 5’s) out of HS might get buyer’s remorse if things don’t seem to be going their way. Not all the kids, but the portal gives them an easy way the bail out. So Gundy is just OK at recruiting these kids the first time, now we have to keep recruiting them every year just to get them to stick around. The NCAA needs to tweak this system. So far I like the old way better. Could you imagine if Barry would have thought....I don’t want to sit behind Thurman for another year, I’ll just enter the portal???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I don't know about any of the rest of your questions, but as of 8:30 this morning, I think Brett McMurphy mentioned it, that there were 69 players who had entered the transfer portal from 38 different teams including five teams from the Big 12.

Edit: my numbers were off and this is in just the past 24 hours.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1201884570569920512?s=19

Interesting to see that 1 team lost 10 players at once.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Recruiting 3 star players with the intentions of it paying off when they are Juniors/Seniors doesn't work when they bail before then. We will see how the next few months go. If we start getting 8+ Fresh/Sophs transferring out, then we need to take a look at recruiting and retention better. The count is at 2, hopefully it won't get past 5.

Probably should burn every redshirt possible, when it is determined that you want them to be a part of the long term. Or at least get them the 4 games to make them feel wanted before they bail. Time to clear the bench against McNeese State. :lol:

The portal definitely needs to be mined better.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I’ve spent zero time looking into the transfer portal, but I’m curious what the average star ranking (from HS recruitment) is for the players entering. Are these 3 and 4 stars looking for a better situation, or 2 stars just looking for some PT anywhere they can find it. Not sure there’s any real correlation. I get the feeling players that have a ton of offers (3, 4, & 5’s) out of HS might get buyer’s remorse if things don’t seem to be going their way. Not all the kids, but the portal gives them an easy way the bail out. So Gundy is just OK at recruiting these kids the first time, now we have to keep recruiting them every year just to get them to stick around. The NCAA needs to tweak this system. So far I like the old way better. Could you imagine if Barry would have thought....I don’t want to sit behind Thurman for another year, I’ll just enter the portal???

Since most players are 3*, then stats tells me that you'll find most of the players in the Portal are 3*s.

I would guess the #1 reason is playing time.

Which makes me admire our walk-ons even more. They know that they'll get zero playing time but they put in the work anyway (I'm sure some quit, but there's no portal for them).

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Four stars and five stars don’t always pan out. They look great on recruiting classes, but just because they are highly touted doesn’t mean anything. CJ Moore may still be a good player for you guys. Sometimes it takes time for the light to come on or for them to physically adjust to the college level. I’ve seen 4-5* guys at OU just not show up at all. They’ll wash out or transfer. It’s exciting to get them, but once the pads get put on, all the stars get thrown out the window.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
Four stars and five stars don’t always pan out. They look great on recruiting classes, but just because they are highly touted doesn’t mean anything. CJ Moore may still be a good player for you guys. Sometimes it takes time for the light to come on or for them to physically adjust to the college level. I’ve seen 4-5* guys at OU just not show up at all. They’ll wash out or transfer. It’s exciting to get them, but once the pads get put on, all the stars get thrown out the window.

You're correct of course but, when there are 20 4-5* players recruited there is an attrition rate factored in. Losing 5 5* players w 15 left isn't near the loss as losing an exponentially larger percentage.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Baylor won every 50/50 toss up game this year. 2 OT to TTU (which they should have lost but for a poor call on a fumble), won in 3OTs at TCU, last second field goal over WV, 8 points over Rice !!!

I don't take 2019 W-L record for BU as "proof" of anything.
They had a magical season where many little things barely worked out in their favor; it could have been a mediocre season very easily. We will see if this season has "legs" in the next few years.