Grayson Boomer is in the transfer portal

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK

You hit the nail on the head about Dru Brown scanning the field for receivers better than Spencer. I think the only reason Spencer got the nod over Dru was because of his running ability and his ability to make a play more with his legs than Dru. Granted, Dru runs the ball pretty well himself contrary to what people say on here. They just need to go look at his highlights at Hawaii before he came here. He is a very good passer and its sad that this coaching staff didn't use his abilities more while he was here. I don't understand the dink and dunk passes the last two games with him as he is a very good downfield passer. Maybe its because our Oline is not very good i don't know. He made some mistakes yes, but I think he is the better thrower of the two. Gundy just went with a guy that had better legs than a guy who is a better passer. My two cents

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
This is not really apples to apples. First off Stogner & Calcaterra didn't really play the same position. Calcaterra played an outside "Y" receiver position. He shared with Lee Morris and only played 5 games before giving up football due to concussions. Morris had 23 catches for 330 yds. Bridges moved over to back up Morris after they lost Calcaterra. He had 7 catches for 82 yrds and 2 TD's

I would think our FB/H-Back/TE would be more similar to your Cowboy back.
Hall 15 rec 164 yds 3Tds
Willis 9 rec 148 yds 3Tds
Stogner 5 rec 42 yds 2 Tds

29 recs 354 yds 12.2 avg 8 Tds
They are the only 2 TE's on the OU roster.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
This is not really apples to apples. First off Stogner & Calcaterra didn't really play the same position. Calcaterra played an outside "Y" receiver position. He shared with Lee Morris and only played 5 games before giving up football due to concussions. Morris had 23 catches for 330 yds. Bridges moved over to back up Morris after they lost Calcaterra. He had 7 catches for 82 yrds and 2 TD's

I would think our FB/H-Back/TE would be more similar to your Cowboy back.
Hall 15 rec 164 yds 3Tds
Willis 9 rec 148 yds 3Tds
Stogner 5 rec 42 yds 2 Tds

29 recs 354 yds 12.2 avg 8 Tds
They are the only 2 TE's on the OU roster.
Riley uses two types. He uses a Y and a H. Morris and Stogner are Y and Hall and Willis are H. He doesn’t use a traditional in-line tight end a lot. But he utilizes them in ways other offenses use a traditional tight end. Just depends on the set or formation. Grayson would probably be used as a Y in OU’s offense based on his size. Stogner occasionally gets put at H because he’s a very good run blocker, especially for a true freshman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
Gundy is far and away the most successful coach OSU has ever had, that's a given. What's also a given is Boomer was recruited by everyone and was Oklahoma's top recruit. With the evidence at hand that nothing changes whomever the assistants are, one can only conclude that there is some shortsightedness or the peter principal is in full effect. Things happening like the Boomer situation can and will further cripple recruiting efforts which to all appearances are weak at best. Keep an eye on C.J. Moore, another top recruit. The idea that OSU can recruit 2-3 star players and mold them into being competitive with 4-5 stars is proving to be false. That the coaching staff doesn't have the acumen or the desire to develop the state's top recruit into their "system" speaks volumes to the level of coaching available at OSU. The more things change (coaches) at OSU the more the results remain the same as evidenced by two wins and twelve losses, losing even when favored.

Let the pillorying begin. ;)

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
BINGO!
Gundy is far and away the most successful coach OSU has ever had, that's a given. What's also a given is Boomer was recruited by everyone and was Oklahoma's top recruit. With the evidence at hand that nothing changes whomever the assistants are, one can only conclude that there is some shortsightedness or the peter principal is in full effect. Things happening like the Boomer situation can and will further cripple recruiting efforts which to all appearances are weak at best. Keep an eye on C.J. Moore, another top recruit. The idea that OSU can recruit 2-3 star players and mold them into being competitive with 4-5 stars is proving to be false. That the coaching staff doesn't have the acumen or the desire to develop the state's top recruit into their "system" speaks volumes to the level of coaching available at OSU. The more things change (coaches) at OSU the more the results remain the same as evidenced by two wins and twelve losses, losing even when favored.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I know no one asked me, but i will answer. How about we take a touch away from Chuba on a 2nd and 8 or 10 situation where the defense has 8 guys in the box? Play action with Chuba in the backfield, and pop them over the top for 10 or 12 yards.

Maybe if we spent a little more money on our coaching staff they could figure it out?
That's just crazy talk.

Oct 30, 2007
Cowboy back recruiting under Coach McEndoo:
2019 - Grayson Boomer
2018 - Jake Ross
2017 - Sione Finefeuiaki
2016 - Empty class

Coach McEndoo has brought 3 scholarship cowboy backs into the program. 2 have left, and the 3rd was a role player. He's done a decent job of developing serviceable walk-ons, but I'm not sure how good of a recruiter he is.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla

Umm how do you develop him into your system when he was out all year injured??? Sorry to disrupt your Gundy rant with facts...

Feb 15, 2017
Texas

How does Boomer (4*) and CJ (4*) fit this narrative that we can't mold 2-3 stars into being competitive ?

Don't you need to list some 2-3 star guys to fit your narrative ?

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Cowboy back recruiting under Coach McEndoo:
2019 - Grayson Boomer
2018 - Jake Ross
2017 - Sione Finefeuiaki
2016 - Empty class

Coach McEndoo has brought 3 scholarship cowboy backs into the program. 2 have left, and the 3rd was a role player. He's done a decent job of developing serviceable walk-ons, but I'm not sure how good of a recruiter he is.
Sounds like Mac can recruit, maybe he can't evaluate very well . . . . .

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Last year there were kids that didn't get picked up also. The kids need to think about this. They could be left going nowhere.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Those players would return to their original school. They don't have to leave if they're in the portal.
Many quit school or had their scholarships pulled and given away to someone else. Would you want someone to come back to your program that has said they don't want to be there?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
We lost another player to transfer this morning.

Oklahoma State's Xavier Player hits the transfer portal
STILLWATER, Okla. — For the second day in a row, an Oklahoma State football player has entered the transfer portal. Freshman cornerback Xavier Player, a former 3-star prospect from Cibolo, TX., appeared in the portal Tuesday morning.
WOW- we'll lose Green and Silverland so I would have though CB had some playing time available next year

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I don't buy it. He never actually got a start here. Something is going on in the locker room with this team. This kid was gung ho on coming to OSU and recruited others here. I don't blame him if its because we never utilize our cowboy backs except for blocking. Wish him well but this loss stings.
You can say somethings going on in the locker room when one of the three guys in front of him enters the portal. Maybe the kid just wants to start over. Maybe he realizes he’s not going to start here. Not only due to injury but whom is in front of him. Bottom line, who knows...but to assume it’s a locker room issue is divisive and likely wrong.

Last edited: