Grayson Boomer is in the transfer portal

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

H2Orange

Sitting on the Group W bench
A/V Subscriber
Nov 17, 2007
Edmond
It's one kid. Nothing to point towards trouble in the locker room. We have like 6 guys in the portal, none of which played meaningful snaps this year. Pretty normal for a P5 program.

I'm sure it was tough for him being out all year. I wish him well wherever he ends up.
I see Jeter, Boomer, McCune, and Junior. Who are the other 2?

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
2 receptions per game is "taking good advantage of the Cowboy Back"? You serious.........???
Absolutely! What's the matter with you guys - do you know anything about football??????

Let's look at OU's tight ends:

Calcaterra: 5 recs for 79 yards 15.8 avg 0 TD
Stogner: 5 recs for 42 yards 8.4 avg 2 TD
Total OU tight ends: 10 recs for 131 yards 13.1 avg 2 TD
Total OSU Cowboy Backs: 23 recs for 149 yards 6.5 avg and 2 TD

OSU Cowboy Backs have nearly double the receptions as OU Tight Ends, a little more yardage and the same TD's. If you wanted more chances to touch the ball you would be transferring to OSU. You will find similar numbers for most other teams. Let's get over the "under-utilized" BS. One thing I would like to see is more of the "seam" route which is a little deeper route than many of the ones we run for CB Backs.

Last edited:

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
There are only so many plays. I'm curious who you would take touches away from to give Jelani more touches. Not saying that it's wrong, just curious.

And OU averages 11 yards per game to Tight Ends.....
Just a thought, watch the pros when they get close to the goal line. There are a lot of passes to the tight ends. Why? Because it often works. Tight ends add another element of offense to cause the defense to defend. Not second guessing, just commenting.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
There are only so many plays. I'm curious who you would take touches away from to give Jelani more touches. Not saying that it's wrong, just curious.

This is easy. You take away 20% of your runs up the middle. We should be trying SO much more PA on 1st down. I feel very strongly that we could have gained at least 2 more TDs against uo had our coaching staff gone PA instead of 1st down runs in the redzone. It makes zero sense that we do it so rarely.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Absolutely! What's the matter with you guys - do you know anything about football??????

OSU Cowboy Backs have nearly double the receptions as OU Tight Ends, a little more yardage and the same TD's. If you wanted more chances to touch the ball you would be transferring to OSU. You will find similar numbers for most other teams. Let's get over the "under-utilized" BS. One thing I would like to see is more of the "seam" route which is a little deeper route than many of the ones we run for CB Backs.
How is their usage of the TE position relevant? There are a lot of other college and NFL teams out there. Also, you realize that Calcaterra just quit football, right? He has been injured, and decided to leave.

But if uo is some TE-comparison standard, then I'd be curious to know how much they used their TEs when Mark Andrews was there. You know......an NFL caliber TE like we had with Blake Jarwin, and may have with Jelani Woods???

The basic idea is that you want to keep defenses guessing who might get the ball by spreading the ball around. Look at how the Patriots generated receiving yardage with Gronk and RBs. Look how the Saints work the ball everywhere with guys out of the backfield. Look at how Andy Reid gets the ball to his playmakers. The best coaches know how to get a lot of different people involved to keep defenses guessing. Our coaches can't even figure out how to get more than about 2-3 guys significantly involved, and they seemingly don't even try.

That said, I do feel like Dru Brown got significantly more guys involved when passing. He clearly had a better feel for reading defenses and throwing to the open guy as opposed to just locking on to the primary on any given play. Sure, he still makes mistakes (all players do), but it was refreshing to see his ability to scan for open guys. Even Rudolph never progressed in that regard during his time at OSU. You can see him still struggling with it in the NFL, now.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I don't give two :poo: about uo's TE usage this season. How is that relevant to this topic of discussion?

Also, you realize that Calcaterra just quit football, right? He has been injured, and decided to leave. But if uo is some TE-comparison standard, then I'd be curious to know how much they used their TEs when Mark Andrews was there. You know......an NFL caliber TE like we had with Blake Jarwin, and may have with Jelani Woods???

The basic idea is that you want to keep defenses guessing who might get the ball by spreading the ball around. Look at how the Patriots generated receiving yardage with Gronk and RBs. Look how the Saints work the ball everywhere with guys out of the backfield. Look at how Andy Reid gets the ball to his playmakers. The best coaches know how to get a lot of different people involved to keep defenses guessing. Our coaches can't even figure out how to get more than about 2-3 guys significantly involved, and they seemingly don't even try.

That said, I do feel like Dru Brown got significantly more guys involved when passing. He clearly had a better feel for reading defenses and throwing to the open guy as opposed to just locking on to the primary on any given play. Sure, he still makes mistakes (all players do), but it was refreshing to see his ability to scan for open guys. Even Rudolph never progressed in that regard during his time at OSU. You can see him still struggling with it in the NFL, now.
Laughable to compare the use of TE's between the 2 schools in recent years.

Nov 14, 2010

It would be when and under which scenario, not who

We have the nation's leading rusher

That forces safeties to cheat to the run

When you have a tight end/Hback that runs a route they are in a run/ pass conflict because they are responsible for both.

Corners and nickel backs, who cover the wide outs, by in large aren't in that same conflict.

It makes no sense to have such a good run game, put the safeties in conflict, then not throw the ball to the conflicted players matchup.

May 9, 2011

This is not really apples to apples. First off Stogner & Calcaterra didn't really play the same position. Calcaterra played an outside "Y" receiver position. He shared with Lee Morris and only played 5 games before giving up football due to concussions. Morris had 23 catches for 330 yds. Bridges moved over to back up Morris after they lost Calcaterra. He had 7 catches for 82 yrds and 2 TD's

I would think our FB/H-Back/TE would be more similar to your Cowboy back.
Hall 15 rec 164 yds 3Tds
Willis 9 rec 148 yds 3Tds
Stogner 5 rec 42 yds 2 Tds

29 recs 354 yds 12.2 avg 8 Tds

Dec 6, 2011

I don't give two :poo: about uo's TE usage this season. How is that relevant to this topic of discussion?

Also, you realize that Calcaterra just quit football, right? He has been injured, and decided to leave. But if uo is some TE-comparison standard, then I'd be curious to know how much they used their TEs when Mark Andrews was there. You know......an NFL caliber TE like we had with Blake Jarwin, and may have with Jelani Woods???

I kinda feel like you answered your own question to an extent there. Senior quarterback gets handed more leeway and/or can see the field better than a freshman.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
It would be when and under which scenario, not who

We have the nation's leading rusher

That forces safeties to cheat to the run

When you have a tight end/Hback that runs a route they are in a run/ pass conflict because they are responsible for both.

Corners and nickel backs, who cover the wide outs, by in large aren't in that same conflict.

It makes no sense to have such a good run game, put the safeties in conflict, then not throw the ball to the conflicted players matchup.
They probably think it can only work once this season, so they're saving it for the bowl game.

OrangeCrush

Territorial Marshal
Oct 26, 2004
Gateway to the High Plains
I know no one asked me, but i will answer. How about we take a touch away from Chuba on a 2nd and 8 or 10 situation where the defense has 8 guys in the box? Play action with Chuba in the backfield, and pop them over the top for 10 or 12 yards.

Maybe if we spent a little more money on our coaching staff they could figure it out?

Oct 30, 2007
https://oklahoman.com/article/56487...-feel-right-fit-with-cowboys?custom_click=rss
“I wasn’t really super-comfortable at OSU. I didn’t feel like it was the right fit,” said Boomer, the true freshman tight end from Collinsville who entered the NCAA transfer portal, as first reported by 247Sports.com on Monday.

“It was nothing the coaches did. They were great. I love Coach (Jason McEndoo). We built such a good relationship. But I think this is the best move for me.”

We haven't really targeted our cowboy backs very often since Blake Jarwin went to the NFL a few years ago. Boomer knew that when he came here. These things just happen. It just didn't work out for him. I wish him the best wherever he lands.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Well....

And 12 yards per game

Jelani Woods oughta have a 12 yard catch on just about every possesion we have

Look up Lee Morris, Austin Stogner, Jeremiah Hall and Bradyn Willis. They all work out of the Y or H. They all get their share. Lincoln Riley feeds four mouths and keeps them happy.

Your 11 yards a game is... uhhh... inaccurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk