GOT - The Final Season

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Is anyone really excited for the episode tonight?
Not really. I know they're just going to rush through stuff and give minimal story development to appease the Big Bang Theory crossover fans with flashy battle scenes.

The sloppiness of this season really has ruined the series for me. I love it... But dang, guys. Why even rush to a finish?

Jul 22, 2011
Who could have seen it coming? Dany encounters a problem and her solution was to burn it with dragon fire.;)

I thought that one was great. Much better than the previous 2 episodes. I wish Cersei had had a more satisfying end, though.

Jul 22, 2011
Do we actually know for a fact that Cersei is dead?
"When your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

I mean, her little brother did have his hand(s*) around her throat, kind of.
It would be a nice Coop DeGrassi if Tyrion could find her still alive in the rubble and put her out of her misery.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Loved episode 3. Episode 4 was Ok, but I'm a little bored with the Mad Queen bit. I was hoping Dany would have a counter, but in terms of story she has lost virtually everyone that matters to her. Jon not being interested in his auntie makes me happy, but clearly compounds her problem. He's the one character that could comfort her through it.

I absolutely loved the Arya stuff. Her stumbling around with the commoners trying to survive and losing those she is protecting was powerful. In a way, Dany might have "woke the Dragon" on that one. Pretty sure the last person in Westeros I want coming for me is Arya Stark.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Loved episode 3. Episode 4 was Ok, but I'm a little bored with the Mad Queen bit. I was hoping Dany would have a counter, but in terms of story she has lost virtually everyone that matters to her. Jon not being interested in his auntie makes me happy, but clearly compounds her problem. He's the one character that could comfort her through it.

I absolutely loved the Arya stuff. Her stumbling around with the commoners trying to survive and losing those she is protecting was powerful. In a way, Dany might have "woke the Dragon" on that one. Pretty sure the last person in Westeros I want coming for me is Arya Stark.
I was over the Mad Queen bit about 2 seasons ago. Her character's been a one note character for awhile now, with really nothing to offer, aside from a title that just gets longer & longer.

And what she did to King's Landing with the dragon just points out how silly it was to sit idly by at Winterfell while the White Walkers descended upon the place. That was a battle literally fought with one hand tied behind their backs.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I was over the Mad Queen bit about 2 seasons ago. Her character's been a one note character for awhile now, with really nothing to offer, aside from a title that just gets longer & longer.

And what she did to King's Landing with the dragon just points out how silly it was to sit idly by at Winterfell while the White Walkers descended upon the place. That was a battle literally fought with one hand tied behind their backs.
The Winterfell Battle was literally a waste of time for anyone not named Bran. He was totally just bait. There was nothing they were going to do to defeat that army. It happened the way it had too. That doesn't bother me.

Dany turning Mad Queen was silly. I know she's lost a lot, but Jon not wanting to hook up with his aunt is not a shocker. Seems to me she's been through too much to go out this way.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The Winterfell Battle was literally a waste of time for anyone not named Bran. He was totally just bait. There was nothing they were going to do to defeat that army. It happened the way it had too. That doesn't bother me.

Dany turning Mad Queen was silly. I know she's lost a lot, but Jon not wanting to hook up with his aunt is not a shocker. Seems to me she's been through too much to go out this way.
Have to disagree. The fact that she wiped out the Greyjoy fleet & took down King's Landing, with one dragon, makes the Winterfell battle look absolutely silly.

Sep 22, 2011
There was a lot of great dialogue and drama in this episode, the battle scenes were gorgeous, cleganebowl was great. We all knew the mad queen was coming, and unfortunately I feel if fell way short of believable, they really needed at least 1 more episode to sell dany going crazy, as it is she goes from breaker of chains and savior of the world to literally worse than the night king, and the only reasons are because Sansa was mean to her and Jon won’t have sex with her. This was the dramatic climax of the entire series and I just couldn’t make myself believe it. Like I said they really needed all 10 episodes this season, that way they wouldn’t have had to rush the night king or rush dany going evil.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

It seemed clear to me in Episode IV when Varys & Jon talked that Varys thought Dany needed to be taken out & that she was capable of anything in her quest to sit on the throne. So I thought we'd see him try to orchestrate her downfall.

It's a subtle scene from Episode 5, but his intent seems clear to me, particularly given his ultimate fate.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainme...ison-plan-game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-5/

"Varys made it clear to Tyrion in Episode Four that he believed Jon Snow would make a better ruler than Daenerys Targaryen. The beginning of Episode Five found Varys at Dragonstone writing a letter naming Jon as the true heir to the Iron Throne and consulting with one of his "little birds," an adorable kitchen girl named Martha.

“She won’t eat,” Martha told Varys.

"We’ll try again at supper,” he replied.

Martha let Varys know that she thought soldiers were watching her. “Of course they are,” he responded. "That's their job. What have I told you, Martha?”

"The bigger the risk, the bigger reward,” the girl replied."

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Have to disagree. The fact that she wiped out the Greyjoy fleet & took down King's Landing, with one dragon, makes the Winterfell battle look absolutely silly.
There was nothing she could accomplish through fear and anyone she dropped was simply reanimated by the Night King. She tried killing him directly and the dragon fire was useless. What else could they do? What was going to affect the Night King? You had to get him on the ground and create an opening. They did that at the cost of half Dany's forces and a few characters.

On the contrary, Dany smartly attacked the scorpions and created a massive amount of fear. That move the wiped the Golden Company would be temporarily effective against the army of the dead until the Night King resurrected them again. I don't think any character was about to straight-up 1v1 the Night King, hence Arya's sneak attack and slight of hand to get the job done.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Went back & rewatched the episode & like I thought he would, Varys tried to take Dany out.

His conversation with the little kitchen girl, Martha, seemed much more obvious the 2nd time around.
I agree with this. He was trying to poison her just like in the earlier season when he orchestrated the Wine dealer trying. Dany would have already been poisoned if Jorah didn't step in.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I agree with this. He was trying to poison her just like in the earlier season when he orchestrated the Wine dealer trying. Dany would have already been poisoned if Jorah didn't step in.
Hmmm, I'm forgetting that from earlier in the season.

There's some interesting theories floating around out there as to why Varys takes his rings off in the last episode. People are tying it in to how Joffrey was poisoned.

I'm curious to see what roles Bran & Briyenne are going to play in this final episode. Something tells me those 2 will have a big hand in what transpires.