GOP lawmakers tout projects in the stimulus bill they opposed

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
GOP lawmakers tout projects in the stimulus bill they opposed

By David Lightman, McClatchy Newspapers – Fri Feb 13, 6:37 pm ET

WASHINGTON — Rep. John Mica was gushing after the House of Representatives voted Friday to pass the big stimulus plan.
"I applaud President Obama's recognition that high-speed rail should be part of America's future," the Florida Republican beamed in a press release.

Yet Mica had just joined every other GOP House member in voting against the $787.2 billion economic recovery plan.
Republicans echoed their party line over and over during the debate: "This bill is loaded with wasteful deficit spending on the majority's favorite government programs," as Minority Whip Eric Cantor, R- Va. , put it.

But Mica wasn't alone in touting what he saw as the bill's virtues. Rep. Don Young , R- Alaska , also had nice things to say in a press release.

Young boasted that he "won a victory for the Alaska Native contracting program and other Alaska small business owners last night in H.R. 1, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act."

One provision would have made it harder for minority businesses to win contracts, and Young explained that he "worked with members on the other side of the aisle to make the case for these programs, and was able to get the provision pulled from the bill."
Yet later in the day Young — who recently told McClatchy that he would've included earmarks, or local projects, in the bill if it had been permitted — issued another statement blasting the overall measure.

"This bill was not a stimulus bill. It was a vehicle for pet projects, and that's wrong," he protested.
That was more in line with the Republican message.

Young wouldn't return a request for comment on the apparent contradiction of his press releases.
Mike Steel , a spokesman for House GOP Leader John Boehner of Ohio , at first ducked when asked about Mica and Young issuing press releases praising the bill they'd opposed.

"I don't work for Mica or Young," Steel said initially.
But then he explained that what Mica and Young did in touting aspects of the bill was in fact consistent with the Republican message.
"Being supportive of one portion of a trillion dollar bill, but voting against the entire trillion dollar bill, is perfectly reasonable," Steel said.

Mica is the top Republican on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee , and a longtime backer of high-speed rail. GOP committee spokesman Justin Harclerode explained that Mica saw the bill's $8 billion for rail as a "silver lining," and "he's encouraged others are supporting high speed rail too."

But nowhere in the Young or Mica statements was any mention that they opposed the bill.

Harclerode wasn't sure why Mica didn't mention his opposition. "It's not really secret," he said. "I guess it just wasn't the focus."

Aug 1, 2006
Ponca City
Couple stuff like this with the wasteful spending republicans did over the last 10 years and you can see that the NO vote by most republicans was an attempt to fashion an identity for the party. If anyone can control the message it's the republicans.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA), who broke with his party to support President Obama's stimulus package last week, said before the final vote Friday that more of his colleagues would have joined were they not afraid of the political consequences.

"When I came back to the cloak room after coming to the agreement a week ago today," said Specter, "one of my colleagues said, 'Arlen, I'm proud of you.' My Republican colleague said, 'Arlen, I'm proud of you.' I said, 'Are you going to vote with me?' And he said, 'No, I might have a primary.' And I said, 'Well, you know very well I'm going to have a primary.'"

Specter, along with centrist Maine Republican Senators Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe, joined with Democrats last week to move the stimulus bill forward. Specter said he doubted there would be any more Republican votes than those three Friday night.

"I think there are a lot of people in the Republican caucus who are glad to see this action taken without their fingerprints, without their participation," he said.

Specter was asked, How many of your colleagues?

"I think a sizable number," he said. "I think a good part of the caucus agrees with the person I quoted, but I wouldn't want to begin to speculate on numbers."

Being the 60th and deciding vote isn't easy for a centrist who will likely face a more conservative primary challenger and then a more liberal general election opponent.

"I'd feel less uncomfortable about being the sixty-first and even better about being the sixty-seventh, but I'll take 'em one at a time," he said.

Specter added that his hope was that next time there would be more Republicans joining within him. But is that realistic?

"I didn't say it was my expectation, it was my hope," said Specter, before walking on to the Senate floor.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/13/specter-republicans-suppo_n_166875.html

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
This is no surprise to me, and why the republicans got their asses handed to them the last couple elections. There really is no practical difference between republicans and democrats anymore. The biggest difference is how big they want tax cuts to be.

I blame our current situation ENTIRELY on Republicans. Why? Because for a long time they had control of congress. Then for 8 years republicans controlled the white houe. The only time the republicans acted like republicans in terms of their votes and laws was when Clinton was president.

Frankly. republicans deserved every bit of the blame they can get, and they have earned their right to be marginal voices in what happens now. Because of that, I think our country is in deep trouble. There are few TRUE voices for conservatism anymore. There is no one fighting for the kind of policies that conservatives want to see.

The real downside of all of that is that conservatives have taken the hit as well, and there hasn't been a legit conservative in charge in washington since Newt, IMHO. I really never thought I would miss that guy. I love him now, but conservatism does seem in exile at this point.

I pray Obama, Pelosi, and Reid are right and I am wrong for the sake of our nation. I also hope the republicans realize playing the coward is no way to lead this nation, even in the minority. Minorities have NEVER grabbed any recognition or respect by being to scared to do what is right.

Slugger926

Federal Marshal
Oct 19, 2004
This is no surprise to me, and why the republicans got their asses handed to them the last couple elections. There really is no practical difference between republicans and democrats anymore. The biggest difference is how big they want tax cuts to be.
You got that right.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
You're right about conservatism being in exile. Reaganomics is dead not because it failed but because there aren't any practitioners left. Obama, Pelosi, and Reid are dead wrong. The only thing the porkulus will stimulate with any great success is government growth.

InTheKnow

Usually Last to Know
A/V Subscriber
Apr 1, 2007
Oklahoma

I blame our current situation ENTIRELY on Republicans. Why? Because for a long time they had control of congress. Then for 8 years republicans controlled the white houe. The only time the republicans acted like republicans in terms of their votes and laws was when Clinton was president.

Frankly. republicans deserved every bit of the blame they can get, and they have earned their right to be marginal voices in what happens now. Because of that, I think our country is in deep trouble. There are few TRUE voices for conservatism anymore. There is no one fighting for the kind of policies that conservatives want to see.

The real downside of all of that is that conservatives have taken the hit as well, and there hasn't been a legit conservative in charge in washington since Newt, IMHO. I really never thought I would miss that guy. I love him now, but conservatism does seem in exile at this point.

I pray Obama, Pelosi, and Reid are right and I am wrong for the sake of our nation. I also hope the republicans realize playing the coward is no way to lead this nation, even in the minority. Minorities have NEVER grabbed any recognition or respect by being to scared to do what is right.
I agree with you on the second bold comment regarding how Republicans acted better when Clinton was president, but I don't see how the "current situation" can be blamed on Republicans only? Sure, Bush spent too much money, but how is that a problem? According to most economists, we need government spending, right?

There's plenty of blame to go around and it's not just the Republicans who are at fault, IMHO.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I agree with you on the second bold comment regarding how Republicans acted better when Clinton was president, but I don't see how the "current situation" can be blamed on Republicans only? Sure, Bush spent too much money, but how is that a problem? According to most economists, we need government spending, right?

There's plenty of blame to go around and it's not just the Republicans who are at fault, IMHO.
I don't blame Bush completely. His greatest failure to me is his inability or refusal to use the VETO power given him by the US Constitution!

Let me put it his way. Republicans were elected to be conservatives. They did a great job, for the most part, during the Clinton years, and that split government worked out pretty well overall.

Republicans are elected to serve a role as conservatives. That is, reign in spending, cut taxes, national defense, and so on. When republicans decided to act like liberals on a drunken spending spree, well, why the hell are they there?

Republicans failed to capitalize on the power they did have. Obama ran successfully on the idea of failed conservative principles. There were NO FAILED REPUBLICAN PRINCIPLES at all.

The tax cuts, so demonized by the press and dems, that raised revenues into the government every single year. The failure was inability to quit spending.

I am seriously considering changing my registration to Independent. Conservatives do NOT have a voice, as evidenced by this ridiculous article. Ridiculous because we have managed to elect a bunch of tools with no balls whatsoever.

I loved Reagan because he had the stones to do what was necessary and stand up for his beliefs. These guys and gals are bigtime wimps.

InTheKnow

Usually Last to Know
A/V Subscriber
Apr 1, 2007
Oklahoma
I don't blame Bush completely. His greatest failure to me is his inability or refusal to use the VETO power given him by the US Constitution!

Let me put it his way. Republicans were elected to be conservatives. They did a great job, for the most part, during the Clinton years, and that split government worked out pretty well overall.

Republicans are elected to serve a role as conservatives. That is, reign in spending, cut taxes, national defense, and so on. When republicans decided to act like liberals on a drunken spending spree, well, why the hell are they there?

Republicans failed to capitalize on the power they did have. Obama ran successfully on the idea of failed conservative principles. There were NO FAILED REPUBLICAN PRINCIPLES at all.

The tax cuts, so demonized by the press and dems, that raised revenues into the government every single year. The failure was inability to quit spending.

I am seriously considering changing my registration to Independent. Conservatives do NOT have a voice, as evidenced by this ridiculous article. Ridiculous because we have managed to elect a bunch of tools with no balls whatsoever.

I loved Reagan because he had the stones to do what was necessary and stand up for his beliefs. These guys and gals are bigtime wimps.
GP, thanks for the clarification. I was wondering where you were coming from. I agree with you for the most part. It's sort of ironic, really. When it came to spending, Bush was more liberal than many liberals.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future and whether or not Obama will be held accountable as Bush has been.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
GP, thanks for the clarification. I was wondering where you were coming from. I agree with you for the most part. It's sort of ironic, really. When it came to spending, Bush was more liberal than many liberals.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future and whether or not Obama will be held accountable as Bush has been.
Why would he be? Obama spending like an idiot isn't out of character or beyond what was expected when he became president.

Bush doing it was the opposite of what was expected. He deserves the blame in some ways for that.

InTheKnow

Usually Last to Know
A/V Subscriber
Apr 1, 2007
Oklahoma
Why would he be? Obama spending like an idiot isn't out of character or beyond what was expected when he became president.

Bush doing it was the opposite of what was expected. He deserves the blame in some ways for that.
Well, I didn't really explain what I meant. I was "typing out loud" so to speak. I was just thinking about how Obama said he was going to "fix" the economy with the "stimulus plan". I'm not trying to be negative here, but it won't have much a positive effect, IMHO. So, I'm wondering how long Obama will receive a free pass before people start saying - "Okay Mr. President, when are things supposed to get better?".

Of course, his reply will be "I didn't create this mess, etc." But he has promised HE could fix it with these kind of policies. So, I'm just wondering if he'll be held accountable for the failure of these policies to stimulate the economy in the magnitude he claims they will.

PS For the sake of our great Country, I truly hope I'm completely wrong and his policies work. :D