Google Chromebook

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
From a tech perspective SSD's are superior to HDD's in almost every way except price.
Save battery life, faster access, less likely to break from dropping your computer. All reasons Chromebooks and high end computers have made the switch to an SSDs. However storage wise, an HDD is pennies on the dollars, and SSDs are well dollars.

Happy to inform. Technology gets a bit complicated, especially with the way advertisements manipulate information. :)
Oh believe me, I know all that...(I actually work in IT)...so that is kind of embarrassing I made that mistake...Just careless web browsing :(

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
necro-ing this one.

picked up an HP stream 11 chromebook around xmas. Only 2 GB of non-upgradable ram, and 16GB of eMMC ssd, and a celery processor. Pretty underwhelming specs, but for web browsing, and basic functionality, it is pretty sweet. Good enough, disposable computing. The build quality is pretty tight, and battery life is good too.

the struggle for me is the Chromebook keyboard, and the lack of particular keys and the lack of right clicking. I know the ALT allows you to get that back, but the learning curve kind of annoyed me. The chromebook, also forced me to search the chrome web store which has improved a lot since it originally launched. there are some really good tools in there now.

this is a good sub 200 dollar basic functionality PC.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
Australia
necro-ing this one.

picked up an HP stream 11 chromebook around xmas. Only 2 GB of non-upgradable ram, and 16GB of eMMC ssd, and a celery processor. Pretty underwhelming specs, but for web browsing, and basic functionality, it is pretty sweet. Good enough, disposable computing. The build quality is pretty tight, and battery life is good too.

the struggle for me is the Chromebook keyboard, and the lack of particular keys and the lack of right clicking. I know the ALT allows you to get that back, but the learning curve kind of annoyed me. The chromebook, also forced me to search the chrome web store which has improved a lot since it originally launched. there are some really good tools in there now.

That is an interesting attachment on one of these small machines.

Just curious since I haven't seen one, could you put other veggies through or does the cloud-only processor limit you only to processing celery? Carrots? Potatoes? I would think if it could process celery, softer ones like zucchini would be ok.

Maybe mid year they could add a meat slicer. Get more male customers that way.

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
necro-ing this one.

You'll get use to it after awhile. Unless I am needing to write or edit computer code on the road I generally bring my chromebook over my windows laptop. (while you can technically use a chromebook to do my editing, it is a lot slower, and to much of a hassle imo) Unlike windows computers, the battery life on chromebooks seems to last a lot longer when similar specs are involved.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
necro-ing this one.

Necro-ing this thread. Again. If you have a chromebook and are out of warranty, check out https://mrchromebox.tech/

GalliumOS is pretty slick and provides you with a full linux environment (which Chrome browser benefits of ChromeOS). For my HP chromebook 11, it was pretty painless. I had to open the laptop up and remove a screw to enable firmware writing, but the rest is pretty straight forward.

Sep 18, 2017
Virginia
I've had one for a couple years now. I use it to remote into my home PC when I need to but that is few and far between. Most of my stuff is all on the cloud. Love how cheap they are and how if it gets damaged/stolen or I want to upgrade it, it doesn't bust my wallet.