Google Chromebook

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Hmm, I don't know much about them...but for $429 I would just assume get a Windows netbook.

Sure, the chromebook has its perks, like the fact that it boots in 8 seconds, and that it is ultra light weight, and it boasts a dual core atom. But if you are going to pay that much, I would much rather have an "actual" computer.

I would really want to sit down with one and play with it before I could decide if I could live with the Chrome OS.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
There's no reason you can't be cloud based while still having a fully functional computer.

A chromebook is not the only way to be cloud based, but it does limit you to being only cloud based.
Well, from what I read about them (today, since I hadn't heard much about them prior), you can use them without an internet connection and store stuff locally, but that they are definitely made to be used with an active internet connection...which makes me laugh since there is no ethernet port. WiFi or 3G, however it did say something like 2 years of free VZW 3G access, but it is limited to 200MB/month.

They can probably perform 95% of all basic computing tasks with all of the google apps out there. But like I said before, I would want to play with one a lot before purchasing. Change scares me, and I would be afraid I would need windows on it a week after I bought it. haha.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
So am I the only one who would actually be interested in buying one of these?
If I needed a portable computer for work reasons, or if I was still in school, I could definitely see the appeal. Over 10 hours of battery life (and that's with WiFi on), 3 lbs, and cloud based does have a lot of selling points.

But since I don't travel much, already have a netbook, and am a poor social worker...I just don't see the need. It is a pretty cool and innovative device though.

BGeezy08

It Ain't Easy Bein' BGeezy
Oct 14, 2009
OKC
www.BlakesSportTake.com
See my situation is I have a 4 year old Dell laptop... that has crashed twice and quite honestly is a piece.

And I will be retiring it soon... Probably to just keep around as a word processor. Lol.

So this cool, new thing is exciting/appealing to me.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Yeah, I definitely understand that. It is cool to think that everything is backed up to the google cloud. If it were less money, I could see myself getting one. And really, if you could torrent on a chromebook, I'd consider one if I needed a new computer.

Basically just kind of one of those cost vs need things. It costs too much and doesn't quite meet my needs. I can definitely see the use for it though.

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
Bumping this thread because I recently got one, I love it. Pretty amazing what you can with cloud computing now.
Anybody going to get one?

I'm actually really interested, but don't claim to be knowledgable about tech-related stuff.

Would love to hear people's opinions on it.
There excellent pieces of machines.
Yeah, I definitely understand that. It is cool to think that everything is backed up to the google cloud. If it were less money, I could see myself getting one. And really, if you could torrent on a chromebook, I'd consider one if I needed a new computer.

Basically just kind of one of those cost vs need things. It costs too much and doesn't quite meet my needs. I can definitely see the use for it though.
Dont know if you tried it out yet, but I can confirm that you can torrent on them, with only 16gigs of space on most of them I wouldnt really recommend it, unless you have an external flash or hard drive to hook up to it.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
I haven't tried one out yet, but I recently noticed prices have gone WAY WAY down on them. And you can always get one with a bigger SSD.

I can pick up one with a 320GB SSD, 4GB of RAM, stuck with a celeron CPU...but it costs less than $200. If I needed a cheap computing option, I would likely consider this.

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
I haven't tried one out yet, but I recently noticed prices have gone WAY WAY down on them. And you can always get one with a bigger SSD.

I can pick up one with a 320GB SSD, 4GB of RAM, stuck with a celeron CPU...but it costs less than $200. If I needed a cheap computing option, I would likely consider this.
What chromebook has a 320 GB SSD for less than $200? Actually I am not aware of any computer with that much room on it and at that cost? Maybe your thinking cloud storage?

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
My wife loves hers. She's pretty much ditched her old laptop. The only issue we've had with it is Google Cloud Print and our HP wireless printer don't seem to get along. That's probably more of a user error though in setting stuff up.

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
HAHA, thanks for clarifying. I just quickly looked at prices...guess I didn't read the whole description.
From a tech perspective SSD's are superior to HDD's in almost every way except price.
Save battery life, faster access, less likely to break from dropping your computer. All reasons Chromebooks and high end computers have made the switch to an SSDs. However storage wise, an HDD is pennies on the dollars, and SSDs are well dollars.

Happy to inform. Technology gets a bit complicated, especially with the way advertisements manipulate information. :)