Good article on the current state of our politics

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Some good points but I find it funny that an article complaining about polarization actually repeats many of the nonsense that has helped cause the polarization. I guess they can't help themselves even when they actually think they're being reasonable and unbiased.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I couldn't actually make it through the BS.... I got through the first 2 paragraphs of seemingly left wing nonsense and rhetoric, disagreeing with most of the statements and cringing at the rest --- until I got to this sentence... then I just gave up and wrote the whole thing off as pure-T crap.

"That said, there’s no question that the United States is at a level of political polarization unseen for many decades."

He had just spent 2 paragraphs outlining how bad it has always been, then has the audacity to make an inflammatory claim like that.

Trump's fondness for "authoritarians"? What the heck is that clown even talking about? Trump plays the dictators like a fiddle and has them dancing around like marionettes.

It was Obama that had the fondness for authoritarians, and when out of his way to demonstrate such. (off mic admissions to Putin, Cuba and Castro, Book exchange with Venezuela, Cash for Mullahs, and on, and on, and on).

This "journalist" is nothing more than a partisan hack, spewing more leftist rhetoric.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
no wonder.... I looked the clown up..... figures. Left wing kook

Stephen M. Walt
Stephen M. Walt is the Robert and Renée Belfer professor of international relations at Harvard University.

John C

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2011
Meh. We're nowhere near this....

"Tin soldiers and Nixon's comin'
We're finally on our own
This summer I hear the drummin'
Four dead in Ohio

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are gunning us down
Should have been done long ago
What if you knew her and
Found her dead on the ground?
How can you run when you know?"

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Meh. We're nowhere near this....

"Tin soldiers and Nixon's comin'
We're finally on our own
This summer I hear the drummin'
Four dead in Ohio

Gotta get down to it
Soldiers are gunning us down
Should have been done long ago
What if you knew her and
Found her dead on the ground?
How can you run when you know?"

LOL.... I hope Neil Young will remember, a Southern Man don't need him around anyhow...

it was way, way worse just under the last president.... with cities burning, police shootings, politicians being targeted.... my word

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
LOL.... I hope Neil Young will remember, a Southern Man don't need him around anyhow...

it was way, way worse just under the last president.... with cities burning, police shootings, politicians being targeted.... my word
It’s been way, way worse. We had a civil war for Christ’s sake. Civil rights fight, assassinations, mass protests. Things are actually pretty tame right now. It’s just that people on the left now see hurt feelings and mean tweets as being on a level worse than anything that has ever happened. That should tell us something.

Nov 6, 2010
I couldn't actually make it through the BS.... I got through the first 2 paragraphs of seemingly left wing nonsense and rhetoric, disagreeing with most of the statements and cringing at the rest --- until I got to this sentence... then I just gave up and wrote the whole thing off as pure-T crap.

"That said, there’s no question that the United States is at a level of political polarization unseen for many decades."

He had just spent 2 paragraphs outlining how bad it has always been, then has the audacity to make an inflammatory claim like that.

Trump's fondness for "authoritarians"? What the heck is that clown even talking about? Trump plays the dictators like a fiddle and has them dancing around like marionettes.

It was Obama that had the fondness for authoritarians, and when out of his way to demonstrate such. (off mic admissions to Putin, Cuba and Castro, Book exchange with Venezuela, Cash for Mullahs, and on, and on, and on).

This "journalist" is nothing more than a partisan hack, spewing more leftist rhetoric.
Well, at least you clicked on the link, a big step. But it's too bad you gave up so quickly. While the author could not help himself with the jabs at the current administration, the actual point he was trying to make is the cause of our polarization is the fact that since the collapse of the Soviet Union, we haven't had a viable enemy to unite against, so we've turned on each other. It reminds me of that old movie Canadian BAcon, where the president needed an enemy so badly that he decided to start a war with Canada.

Nov 6, 2010
It’s been way, way worse. We had a civil war for Christ’s sake. Civil rights fight, assassinations, mass protests. Things are actually pretty tame right now. It’s just that people on the left now see hurt feelings and mean tweets as being on a level worse than anything that has ever happened. That should tell us something.
The author said "in decades". The year is 2019, so decades doesn't take us back that far. I presumed he was referencing the 60's as the time period when it was worse.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Well, at least you clicked on the link, a big step. But it's too bad you gave up so quickly. While the author could not help himself with the jabs at the current administration, the actual point he was trying to make is the cause of our polarization is the fact that since the collapse of the Soviet Union, we haven't had a viable enemy to unite against, so we've turned on each other. It reminds me of that old movie Canadian BAcon, where the president needed an enemy so badly that he decided to start a war with Canada.
It's an interesting theory and could be true. My own theory is that the change came after the 2004 election. Prior to that we had an enemy in radical Islam to unite against, and we're. Right or wrong, the Reps had the reputation of being tougher on national security and the Dems found it harder to win in that kind of united electorate. So they decided to be against the war.....and painted the whole thing as bad (blood for oil, bush lied people died, etc.). The divisiveness has only gotten worse since then.

Don't get me wrong, both parties use different subjects to divide us and keep us divided....it's better for them and they both like it that way.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I think I did the right and stopped reading..... the guy is a leftist wacko professor from Harvard writing an opinion piece.

it was stupid. Do'n't even agree with the premise. He didn't even make a point of it even being true, and like I said, he started out proving that his premise was false.

I've never heard of that publication, but reviews claim that it is "neutral bias" in it's NEWS ----- obviously not in it's opinion columns.