GET OUT YOUR BOWLING SHOES!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2005
As much as I would like to beat ou 50% of the time, it is not very likely. Of the teams that have played them at least 10 times, only Notre Dame (2-9) and Texas (46-62) have at least even records. That being said, we have been knocking on the wins door much more frequently and I hope for a much better record in the future.

Nov 19, 2009
Jenks, America
It's something to be very proud of actually. It's impressive to go to a bowl 13 straight years. Very few programs can say this. It's more practices for our younger players, special for Seniors, great for recruiting and another chance for my family to enjoy a gameday experience and watch the Pokes play!

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
When you say bowl seasons, you really mean a .500 or better regular season. Not too sure I want to get real excited about that. How about more conference championships or beating uo once in a blue moon. I don't know how anyone could describe this year as anything but underachieving as we had the talent to beat Boise State, Texas and WVU but still found a way to lose to K-State, Baylor and Tech. A very disappointing season overall.
Understand your statement, and not aiming this at you at all, but I'm using this as a teaching moment. Sure, it's disappointing to lose to K-state, Baylor, and Tech. It's disappointing to lose to uo and Iowa State. It's disappointing to lose at all. That's how far we've come as a program.

Those of us who go back beyond Pat Jones, Jimmy Johnson, or even Jim Stanley, have a different perspective on this. We remember not going to bowls. We remember 0-10-1. Heck, some of us remember KU being the good Kansas team, and KSU being the joke. And we remember sitting home and watching other teams go to bowls year after year after year after...

So this 13 year streak of bowl eligibility IS a big deal. It's a point of great pride that we DO have fans disappointed in the destination. Yeah there's lots of bowl games now, but remember, we may be assigning TCU, a team picked to vie for the top of the league, to a spot on the couch during bowl season. We, on the other hand, are going bowling!

Nov 8, 2007
As much as I would like to beat ou 50% of the time, it is not very likely. Of the teams that have played them at least 10 times, only Notre Dame (2-9) and Texas (46-62) have at least even records. That being said, we have been knocking on the wins door much more frequently and I hope for a much better record in the future.
I used to be of the opinion that we could win all our games and lose to OU and it would fine. I had an "aha" moment before Bedlam this year. Basically, we own Texas and we are playing .700 or better against the rest of the Big 12. The only year we have sniffed the national championship was 2011, and we beat OU (granted a below par OU) soundly. It dawned on me that the mindset of going 11-1, but losing to OU will never result in us getting over the hump for a national championship. We have to be of the mindset that we will beat OU. If we do, then the rest will fall into place.

I agree, we have been knocking on the door. We need to bust through it. I don't care that Gundy's record against them is 2-12, as long as next year's record is 1-0. I will carry that mindset every year.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
When you say bowl seasons, you really mean a .500 or better regular season. Not too sure I want to get real excited about that. How about more conference championships or beating uo once in a blue moon. I don't know how anyone could describe this year as anything but underachieving as we had the talent to beat Boise State, Texas and WVU but still found a way to lose to K-State, Baylor and Tech. A very disappointing season overall.
I think it's a huge deal. There are 8 teams who've done it longer than we have and 2 of them are getting ready to drop out. I don't think it's a disappointing season, I more frustrated than disappointed. Someone said it another post, in another thread, but we are 3 plays from being 9-2.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I used to be of the opinion that we could win all our games and lose to OU and it would fine. I had an "aha" moment before Bedlam this year. Basically, we own Texas and we are playing .700 or better against the rest of the Big 12. The only year we have sniffed the national championship was 2011, and we beat OU (granted a below par OU) soundly. It dawned on me that the mindset of going 11-1, but losing to OU will never result in us getting over the hump for a national championship. We have to be of the mindset that we will beat OU. If we do, then the rest will fall into place.

I agree, we have been knocking on the door. We need to bust through it. I don't care that Gundy's record against them is 2-12, as long as next year's record is 1-0. I will carry that mindset every year.
I think our record next year needs to be 2-0. There is only one way for that to happen.