George Floyd

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
CNN, as per usual, is fanning the flames of the riot. They are advertising a special program tomorrow titled “I Cant’t Breath, Blacks Living aNd Dying in America”.

Somebody should live fact-check how many factually Incorrect statements are made during that program - designed to further divide America.
You can start from a place of hate and anger. Sure. But how about you watch it with an open mind?

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
https://twitter.com/joyannreid/status/1266742842489176069?s=21
That would actually make sense. Criminals and other low life’s had to see that for several preceding nights the cops did nothing. They saw a huge open mark and rushed in. Betting more than a few are from Chicago. This is still on MN officials though. If they crack down a couple of nights ago the proverbial neon sign saying they were open for looting would not have gotten lit up.

Mar 11, 2006
You can start from a place of hate and anger. Sure. But how about you watch it with an open mind?
I prefer to have an open mind and to better understand the situation. And definitely don’t condone hatred. Are you okay with lies being spread to create more division? We need people to amplify the truth. Too many are willing to allow factually incorrect statement to prosper and fester because it helps with a divisive agenda. And are unwilling to recognize and admit, or some don’t care, that those factually incorrect thinking is creating more division and stoking fear.

Promoting riots and excusing violent behavior is not conducive to a workable society. It can’t be and we should not continue to stay quiet while people continue to make false statements that just grow fear.

There was a clip on social media I saw last night. It was a local TV reporter interviewing what appeared to be a 13-14 year ole African American young man. The child said, I loosely quote, “this is what happens when you continue to kill us. This is what happens when you hunt us down and kill us”. It was sad listening to this young man. I think his fear was very real. If I was his parent, I would be sad my child was so fearful and thinks people are out to kill him while he is outside.
However, we as adults know that is not the case. We can look at data and know that law enforcement involved with citizen deaths is very rare. And we know that more white citizens die due to police shooting than black citizens. However, the media falsifies this narrative and makes it seem that horrors like the George Floyd murde are commonplace. This is dangerous and results in people justifying turning protests into riots. It helps people justify burning down someone else’s private property.
It is time to push back on the MSM and SJSs false information. It is too divisive and it is causing destruction and further death.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
That would actually make sense. Criminals and other low life’s had to see that for several preceding nights the cops did nothing. They saw a huge open mark and rushed in. Betting more than a few are from Chicago. This is still on MN officials though. If they crack down a couple of nights ago the proverbial neon sign saying they were open for looting would not have gotten lit up.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergei...as-from-out-of-state-mayor-says/#2de3b9bc264d

According to Saint Paul Mayor Melvin Carter, every person arrested in the city last night was from out of state: “We don’t know these folks,” he reiterated.

Department of Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington confirmed evidence of white supremacist groups trying to incite violence; Many posted messages online that encouraged people to go loot in Minneapolis and cause mayhem.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Curious what you all think is the right way to handle these riots?

I don't know. I can't believe I watched the police and national guard retreat, but according to the Governor they were still out working. They are at an incredible disadvantage because they are trying to handle these people with caution cause they don't want to be seen hurting people. They recognize that the antagonists within the riots are spoiling for the violence to go both ways. They want that big open battle to play out.

So how do they restore order without giving them what they want?

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Curious what you all think is the right way to handle these riots?

I don't know. I can't believe I watched the police and national guard retreat, but according to the Governor they were still out working. They are at an incredible disadvantage because they are trying to handle these people with caution cause they don't want to be seen hurting people. They recognize that the antagonists within the riots are spoiling for the violence to go both ways. They want that big open battle to play out.

So how do they restore order without giving them what they want?
What the secret service and park police did in front of the White House last night seemed to be the best (though they were dealing with a single stationary target). The put up fence barriers and stood behind them. When protesters ripped those away they just kept putting new ones up. When things started to be thrown they put on helmets and got shields but never did anything other than hold the protestors back. They never arrested anyone (which might have set the others off if they did) and they stood and took the verbal abuse. Atlanta did well also as they brought in local celebrities on loud speakers to convince the rioters to calm down and just peacefully protest. Then those very few that still did not were tear gassed, pepper sprayed, dispersed or arrested

Oct 30, 2007
He won't. There isn't a rational person defending the former officers actions right now. I've seen online posts from deputies and officers I know who are pretty defensive about actions of their contemporaries that spark national debate say this isn't what they stand for and he murdered that guy. If it's proven tomorrow he died of a drug induced heart attack the actions of the former officer significantly contributed to his death.

There are riots everywhere right now. Minneapolis looks bad but now you have Atlanta, Louisville, DC, and the list goes on. If this dude walks, there is no telling how bad it gets.
I thought the exact same thing initially. It very much appeared that Floyd was choked to death by the officer's knee. There was no doubt in my mind that he would go to prison for murder. The ME's autopsy report really muddies the waters though.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthe...d9e96e708a9b0c8ba58/optimized/full.pdf#page=1
Check out this document. It has a lot more details about what happened than what has been released publicly. This incident seems fairly routine until Floyd refuses to get into the back of the police car. The police tried multiple times to get him into the car, but he resisted. He actually starts to complain that he can't breath while he's still standing. You have to wonder if he started suffering from a cardiac event prior to even being restrained on the ground.

What the officer did was absolutely indefensible. IMO, he should go to prison for acting recklessly even if it's determined that his actions weren't the primary cause of death. There are a lot of extenuating circumstance involved in this case though. A good defense lawyer may be able to create reasonable doubt.

It should be interesting to follow. Hopefully justice will be served.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
What the secret service and park police did in front of the White House last night seemed to be the best (though they were dealing with a single stationary target). The put up fence barriers and stood behind them. When protesters ripped those away they just kept putting new ones up. When things started to be thrown they put on helmets and got shields but never did anything other than hold the protestors back. They never arrested anyone (which might have set the others off if they did) and they stood and took the verbal abuse. Atlanta did well also as they brought in local celebrities on loud speakers to convince the rioters to calm down and just peacefully protest. Then those very few that still did not were tear gassed, pepper sprayed, dispersed or arrested
Yeah, I was watching all that. As a teacher, I work with a lot of hotheaded emotional young minorities. It wouldn't take much to get them going and doing crazy things. I asked them once if Eminem called for a riot on the radio, would they? They were like, of course. The fact that he wouldn't be part of it or be anywhere near it wasn't relevant.

This is what scares me. I don't feel sorry for the agitators that are pushing the violence, but there are kids out there who are legitimately mad about a legitimate history of abuse that I don't want to see get hurt. It's akin, in my mind, to terrorists that hide behind women and children to make things hard on our soldiers who want to be careful about who they shoot at.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I thought the exact same thing initially. It very much appeared that Floyd was choked to death by the officer's knee. There was no doubt in my mind that he would go to prison for murder. The ME's autopsy report really muddies the waters though.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthe...d9e96e708a9b0c8ba58/optimized/full.pdf#page=1
Check out this document. It has a lot more details about what happened than what has been released publicly. This incident seems fairly routine until Floyd refuses to get into the back of the police car. The police tried multiple times to get him into the car, but he resisted. He actually starts to complain that he can't breath while he's still standing. You have to wonder if he started suffering from a cardiac event prior to even being restrained on the ground.

What the officer did was absolutely indefensible. IMO, he should go to prison for acting recklessly even if it's determined that his actions weren't the primary cause of death. There are a lot of extenuating circumstance involved in this case though. A good defense lawyer may be able to create reasonable doubt.

It should be interesting to follow. Hopefully justice will be served.
I think that is why they went 3rd Degree.

For a civilian, if I were to assault someone and they have a heart attack and die, I am responsible for that death. If in the commission of a felony someone dies, I am held responsible for that death. The police using unnecessary force on this man and his subsequent death is on them. Had they not been sitting on his neck, he might have actually gotten some help for his cardiac event.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
There are a lot of extenuating circumstance involved in this case though. A good defense lawyer may be able to create reasonable doubt.
Juries can be stupid sometimes (Casey Anthony), but there has been too much press about this. The emotion is on George Floyd's side plus the fear factor of what if we don't convict.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
CNN, as per usual, is fanning the flames of the riot. They are advertising a special program tomorrow titled “I Cant’t Breath, Blacks Living aNd Dying in America”.

Somebody should live fact-check how many factually Incorrect statements are made during that program - designed to further divide America.
Nobody wants to touch it. Any fact checking or debate will be reduced to a simple divide. Either your accept the narrative as displayed or you are siding with the cop slowly killing George Floyd in front of the cell phones, motivated by racism.

Last edited:

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Nobody wants to touch it. Any fact checking or debate will be reduced to a simple divide. Either your accept the narrative as displayed or you are siding with the cop slowing killing George Floyd in front of the cell phones, motivated by racism.
I almost went on a twitter rant about History being whitewashed. The Tulsa Race Massacre was absolutely whitewashed and hidden from view, but in my class, we are having none of that.

Studying history is hard because it requires real thought and reading. People don't want to do that. They want easy soundbites and clips of information. History is a mixed bag where your heroes turn into villains real quick if you take too hard a look at them.

Mar 11, 2006
Apparently a car has hit a protester is Tulsa
Is there any video of the incident? Just heard a reporter from newson6 say it was a slow moving car going around protesters. They didn’t know if someone jumped on car or stood in front of car.

Saw police have now stopped traffic on I-44 both ways because protestors are standing in the highway.