George Floyd

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 7, 2007
Denver
So you're saying he didn't resist arrest then.

So how much money would someone have to take from you before you cared.
Sure am. Show me the part in the video that he is resisting arrest to the point they needed to beat him up and kill him? I see him in cuffs sitting calmly after about 45 seconds. There are 4 officers, once he is in handcuffs you should not be able to use any kind of beating force if you have 4 officers and they have no weapon. Taser them at worst. Now getting them into cuffs I see a possible need for more force. Or if it is a few police and not 4.

I care about $20 to the tune of a citation and possible banning someone from a store. That is of course after evidence and a judge has come into play.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
311 - Obviously there is no excuse for the excessive force / murder used...that is why the cop is charged with murder and the other cops are now charged. However, do you think that the cops had a copy or record of a wrap sheet and that might be part of the reason he was treated differently? Once again, not an excuse for cop doing murder, but you do know he had a long wrap sheet, right? Once again, facts matter and the way they are or are NOT reported also matters. Pictures are being painted and LOTS of facts are being left out in order to incite the most unrest possible.

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
311 - Obviously there is no excuse for the excessive force / murder used...that is why the cop is charged with murder and they others are now charged. However do you think that the cops had a copy or record of a wrap sheet and that might be part of the reason he was treated differently? Once again, not an excuse for cop doing murder, but you do know he has a wrap sheet, right?
the cop accused of murder has a history as well 12+ excessive force complaints and 2 disciplinary actions because of it

You can not justify current actions based on past history here without questioning the officers history as well

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
311 - Obviously there is no excuse for the excessive force / murder used...that is why the cop is charged with murder and they others are now charged. However do you think that the cops had a copy or record of a wrap sheet and that might be part of the reason he was treated differently? Once again, not an excuse for cop doing murder, but you do know he has a wrap sheet, right?
Coco is making an excuse for sure. And sure when planning for an arrest it might help to know a persons history. That doesn't seem to be the case here. He was in cuffs by 1 officer sitting down in a matter of minutes. The arresting officer was calm and writing a citation immediately afterwards.

The problem is people like Coco and likely many others would have bought the Polices excuse for using excessive force hook, line, and sinker if it wasn't for video evidence. That is a huge part of the problem. Police have free reign and almost total immunity. Literally and figuratively. They are abusing that power in most cities. That is THE PROBLEM. This isn't new we just have cameras now.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Trump has told reporters that Esper comments were weak. Esper has ordered the 1300+ active military troops sent to DC to go home after a meeting at the WH

WH Press Sec said despite Esper's comments that Trump will still deploy military if he wants to

https://twitter.com/KTULNews/status/1268557665891950594

Mar 11, 2006
https://twitter.com/digitalforests/status/1268363871661838338?s=21

Apparently it is now racist to clean up graffiti. I love the “white privilege” comment by the woman filming.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Coco is making an excuse for sure. And sure when planning for an arrest it might help to know a persons history. That doesn't seem to be the case here. He was in cuffs by 1 officer sitting down in a matter of minutes. The arresting officer was calm and writing a citation immediately afterwards.

The problem is people like Coco and likely many others would have bought the Polices excuse for using excessive force hook, line, and sinker if it wasn't for video evidence. That is a huge part of the problem. Police have free reign and almost total immunity. Literally and figuratively. They are abusing that power in most cities. That is THE PROBLEM. This isn't new we just have cameras now.
I'm sorry, I honestly don't know Coco (the poster)...AND I agree with you that racial police brutality is a problem and that this police officer took his life with what he has been charged with...but I'm also fairly sure he was treated UNFAIRLY by excessive force because of his wrap sheet nearly as much as his color and size...at least that makes logical sense in terms of my past...cops I've been stopped by instantly STILL knew stuff I did as a teen in Stillwater and I'm freaking 53 (ie a TOC and several speeding tickets)...so I can only suppose that these guys knew his felony record and his jail time...pretty sure it was pulled up in the squad car on their computer screen...NOT that any of that excuses anything, it just explains some of the over the top and unnecessary brutality and would also lesson the number of protestors that tout Mr. Floyd as something he wasn't in terms of making him some sort of idol (at least in his former life he was NOT)...others who have been brutalized by cops or shot like the Georgia jogger have much more clout in this argument...as does the Mr. David Dorn who was killed by protestors and the TDS media totally ignores. People can see both and people ought to be able to divide political motivation from the reality of police and other brutality and mistreatment of our black friends and fellow citizens. The desire to use this incident for political purposes is disingenuous and disgusting...just as is the act of taking someone's life for any reason besides protection of ones self and family. The manipulation of one portion of our society into outrage and then covering up certain facts to keep them there is not only disgusting, it's also counter productive to the good cause of getting rid of police brutality.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Sure am. Show me the part in the video that he is resisting arrest to the point they needed to beat him up and kill him? I see him in cuffs sitting calmly after about 45 seconds. There are 4 officers, once he is in handcuffs you should not be able to use any kind of beating force if you have 4 officers and they have no weapon. Taser them at worst. Now getting them into cuffs I see a possible need for more force. Or if it is a few police and not 4.

I care about $20 to the tune of a citation and possible banning someone from a store. That is of course after evidence and a judge has come into play.

Do we have a video yet of him being beaten up?

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK

That is BS, if the cops are guilty they should go to prison. THE PROBLEM is that we almost never have all the facts in these cases but they are always spun one way or the other.

You want to accuse me if buying a narrative hook, line and sinker when you do the exact same thing with the opposite viewpoint. Speaking big picture here, not just this incident. Here's an example, hands up, don't shoot never happened, yet it was chanted at every single protest. We need to find out the real truth and address it, not just continually accuse each other if believing our own biased half truths every single time.

I think we very well could have a problem with police using excessive force, and possibly there are stereotypes that cause police to behave differently when dealing with minorities. However, I do not believe that racism is rampant in our nation's police forces. Quite obviously, we do have work to do to fix what problems there are. My concern is that won't happen as long as the issue is so politically charged. And certainly burning the country to the ground does not help.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
I'm sorry, I honestly don't know Coco (the poster)...AND I agree with you that racial police brutality is a problem and that this police officer took his life with what he has been charged with...but I'm also fairly sure he was treated UNFAIRLY by excessive force because of his wrap sheet nearly as much as his color and size...at least that makes logical sense in terms of my past...cops I've been stopped by instantly STILL knew stuff I did as a teen in Stillwater and I'm freaking 53 (ie a TOC and several speeding tickets)...so I can only suppose that these guys knew his felony record and his jail time...pretty sure it was pulled up in the squad car on their computer screen...NOT that any of that excuses anything, it just explains some of the over the top and unnecessary brutality and would also lesson the number of protestors that tout Mr. Floyd as something he wasn't in terms of making him some sort of idol (at least in his former life he was NOT)...others who have been brutalized by cops or shot like the Georgia jogger have much more clout in this argument...as does the Mr. David Dorn who was killed by protestors and the TDS media totally ignores. People can see both and people ought to be able to divide political motivation from the reality of police and other brutality and mistreatment of our black friends and fellow citizens. The desire to use this incident for political purposes is disingenuous and disgusting...just as is the act of taking someone's life for any reason besides protection of ones self and family. The manipulation of one portion of our society into outrage and then covering up certain facts to keep them there is not only disgusting, it's also counter productive to the good cause of getting rid of police brutality.
Agreed on the past. I don't think any of this specific example screams racism. I think it is more cumulative events that has brought out the race bit.

Stillwater cops are the worst! By far the biggest jerks as far as police go of any city I have lived in.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
the cop accused of murder has a history as well 12+ excessive force complaints and 2 disciplinary actions because of it

You can not justify current actions based on past history here without questioning the officers history as well
NEVER did I attempt too...he shouldn't have even been on the force...and he's charged and likely will be convicted of murder.
This doesn't mean that Floyd didn't have a wrap sheet a mile long as well...I totally agree ALL the facts matter...why does the media only deal with the parts of them that forward a narrative? Covid crises is exactly the same way.

Last edited: