George Floyd

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
Coach Boynton typed a letter about this and posted it to Twitter. It's sad to think that he worries his son won't be safe when he leaves the house.

And that is a problem. It is very sad that he feels that way. Boynton is an educated man and I completely understand why he feels that way. The media hypes these tragic events and makes untrue statements that make it seem like this happens a lot. Media and social media has created a great divide by pushing factually incorrect data that scares people.

The fact of the matter is that a police officer killing a citizen is very, very, very rare. And when that happens, the majority of the time the citizen is white. US citizens are 30x more likely to be killed by another citizen than by police. And in some areas that number increases to over 350x.

About 1.1 African-Americans per 100k are killed by police each year. George Floyd’s death is rightly condemned as murder, but I think most agree that most of the 1.1/1k is police fighting criminals.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
And that is a problem. It is very sad that he feels that way. Boynton is an educated man and I completely understand why he feels that way. The media hypes these tragic events and makes untrue statements that make it seem like this happens a lot. Media and social media has created a great divide by pushing factually incorrect data that scares people.

The fact of the matter is that a police officer killing a citizen is very, very, very rare. And when that happens, the majority of the time the citizen is white. US citizens are 30x more likely to be killed by another citizen than by police. And in some areas that number increases to over 350x.

About 1.1 African-Americans per 100k are killed by police each year. George Floyd’s death is rightly condemned as murder, but I think most agree that most of the 1.1/1k is police fighting criminals.
But the highest levels of inequality in mortality risk are experienced by Black men. Black men are about 2.5 times more likely to be killed by police over the life course than are white men. Black women are about 1.4 times more likely to be killed by police than are white women. Therefore, I don't blame Boynton one bit for being concerned about his son's safety. So, cableok do you really completely understand why he feels that way? Did you fail to notice where he wrote, "I've had my own frightening experience with law enforcement..."

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN

Deaths get the headlines but it's a little more than that. I don't understand why he feels that way at all.

Mar 11, 2006
But the highest levels of inequality in mortality risk are experienced by Black men. Black men are about 2.5 times more likely to be killed by police over the life course than are white men. Black women are about 1.4 times more likely to be killed by police than are white women. Therefore, I don't blame Boynton one bit for being concerned about his son's safety. So, cableok do you really completely understand why he feels that way? Did you fail to notice where he wrote, "I've had my own frightening experience with law enforcement..."
I certainly understand. There are a lot of us that have had bad experiences with law enforcement.

Instead of using race as a variable, how about you look at income level? Low income is the main driver because crime occurs in the low income communities at a significantly higher rate... abundant there is a much higher police presence.

I am not blind or insensitive to Boynton’s feelings. As I said, it is understandable given the media’s false portrayal (see link below). If he feels that way, that is very sad. But not to be callous, it doesn’t matter what race you are...would you rather your child grow up in Stillwater or South Chicago, or Detroit, or Minneapolis?
https://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2019/the-truth-behind-racial-disparities-in-fatal-police-shootings/

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Do we have an issue with how police behave when arresting black people in some instances? YES, for sure.
Should cities be burned to the ground and the innocent punished because of it? NO, not at all.

The mentality that the entire society should pay a drastic price for the poor/obscene actions of a few is how we slip into anarchy. Why must city's burn in order to prove a point that has nearly universal agreement, at least in this case...what happens when some of the people escalates into violence and property destruction is that the point of the outburst is lost and/or is now seen as justified by some if not many. The stoking of the fire is the problem, as is the incident...this is like when the guys show up with AK's at the Michigan capital...you lose the focus on your argument when you overreact.

These are the types of things that happened when Obama was in office and early on in the Trump administration...Police incident with minority victim due to heavy handed arrest followed by protest...we have seen this record played on and on...I'm not questioning it's truth Or that it needs to stop, it is and it does, I'm only questioning if the reaction too it is going to stop it, because it the past the extremes of the reaction only seems to divide more and make it worse. A different reaction is needed.
I'm a law and order person, I don't like anything about flouting the law by anyone. The problem is we have a system of selective and harsh police action. How many times are your doors blown off by a patrol car on the highway? How many times are you talked to like an idiot by a town cop or sherrif's deputy if you have to interact with them in their line of duty? It doesn't matter what color you are, if you get the wrong officer you are just a potential perp. Unfortunately this is not a one off incident. We have lots of Barneys with no Andy's to modify them. These guys should have the book thrown at them and then be locked up. Enough of this crap, act like a public servant and not damn thug.

Oct 30, 2007
Here's a grenade to toss into the conversation. This police officer may end up walking.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/natio...trangulation-as-cause-of-george-floyds-death/
Complaint: Autopsy reveals nothing to support strangulation as cause of George Floyd’s death
The papers also said that an autopsy revealed nothing to support strangulation as the cause of death. The exam concluded that the combined effects of being restrained, potential intoxicants in Floyd’s system and his underlying health issues, including heart disease, likely contributed to his death.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Here's a grenade to toss into the conversation. This police officer may end up walking.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/natio...trangulation-as-cause-of-george-floyds-death/
Complaint: Autopsy reveals nothing to support strangulation as cause of George Floyd’s death
The papers also said that an autopsy revealed nothing to support strangulation as the cause of death. The exam concluded that the combined effects of being restrained, potential intoxicants in Floyd’s system and his underlying health issues, including heart disease, likely contributed to his death.

He won't. There isn't a rational person defending the former officers actions right now. I've seen online posts from deputies and officers I know who are pretty defensive about actions of their contemporaries that spark national debate say this isn't what they stand for and he murdered that guy. If it's proven tomorrow he died of a drug induced heart attack the actions of the former officer significantly contributed to his death.

There are riots everywhere right now. Minneapolis looks bad but now you have Atlanta, Louisville, DC, and the list goes on. If this dude walks, there is no telling how bad it gets.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I haven't been too involved in these parts lately.

Here's some perspective from me...

Yesterday I saw a video of 14yr old black kid getting absolutely getting whipped on by a cop. The kid, it turns out, is autistic. I have a 14yr old black daughter that is also autistic, and I can say with absolute certainty that she would struggle to comply satisfactorily with a cops orders. Does she deserve that beating?

I have another black daughter that came in asking me about George Floyd last night. I've tried over the years to teach her about injustice and prejudice, but the difficultly has been that she hasn't experienced much of it first hand. It's far away. This stuff looked scary to her and so I tried to explain it to her as well as I could, and boil down the history somewhat coherently behind it. She was unaffected, but I was.

For the 1st time in my life I am worried about the cops will treat one of mine. I've interacted with cops all my life. I had 2 felon step fathers, and I have had my own run ins, but NEVER have I felt particularly afraid of them. I had an OSU cop pull a gun on me during a traffic stop when I was just 18. He never approached my car, just stayed back at his door and we talked. It's clear to me now that he thought I was someone else. He ended up just leaving the scene. I am sure he didn't want me to see his badge number. How might that be different if I were black?

I know there are statistics that show very little discrepancy between races and how they are treated. How can any cop, in today's age, be so arrogant to do what this officer did in broad daylight. Bodycams aside everyone has a cellphone. What he did, he seemed to do casually. The call was for a guy suspected of passing fake money.

These riots are useless, and I feel for the legitimate protesters that get usurped every single time this stuff happens. I saw a video in Minneapolis where a guy was literally telling the antagonists that they won't stand for this. Guess they didn't listen to him.

Anyway, I feel different today. I still don't fear how cops look at or treat me, but my 16yr old is not street smart. She is foolishly innocent on a lot of these things. She doesn't like learning about slavery or civil rights stuff. I think its cause she doesn't know how to process it in light of her life being raised by white people. I would never condone violence like this from others. I honestly think COPS will have to be far more proactive at trying to be rid of bad cops. I honestly don't know that they aren't out here trying.

I just know this...

If I ever caught a cop(anyone) doing to my 14yr old what I watched yesterday, he'd have to shoot me. If someone stood on any of my kids(I realize Mr. Floyd is not a child but he's someone's someone) neck, the rage I have been trying to suppress inside myself since I was a kid would be set free. I know this, and I don't have hundreds of years of history to back up my rage.

That, and President Trump is a 6th grader. What the hell is wrong with that jackass? "The looting starts, the shooting starts?" That's like a throwaway line by a bad character in a straight to video action movie from the 80s. Good idea, moron, dare them.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
The police should have obeyed the law. This is their fault for not following orders.

This is a backlash against good police not calling out bad police.
While I'm sure it's an uncomfortable position for cops;
I'm confident the victims of police brutality are in a much more uncomfortable position.

Mar 11, 2006
The police should have obeyed the law. This is their fault for not following orders.

This is a backlash against good police not calling out bad police.
While I'm sure it's an uncomfortable position for cops;
I'm confident the victims of police brutality are in a much more uncomfortable position.
Whaaaaaattttt???

Please tell me you are not blaming the police for building being burned down in Minneapolis, reporters being attacked in DC, people being beaten severely in Oakland, private stores destroyed in Portland, cars set ablaze in Atlanta, or seven people shot in Louisville

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Whaaaaaattttt???

Please tell me you are not blaming the police for building being burned down in Minneapolis, reporters being attacked in DC, people being beaten severely in Oakland, private stores destroyed in Portland, cars set ablaze in Atlanta, or seven people shot in Louisville
Is the first you're are hearing about people being shot in Louisville in recent weeks?

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Do we have an issue with how police behave when arresting black people in some instances? YES, for sure.
Should cities be burned to the ground and the innocent punished because of it? NO, not at all.

The mentality that the entire society should pay a drastic price for the poor/obscene actions of a few is how we slip into anarchy. Why must city's burn in order to prove a point that has nearly universal agreement, at least in this case...what happens when some of the people escalates into violence and property destruction is that the point of the outburst is lost and/or is now seen as justified by some if not many. The stoking of the fire is the problem, as is the incident...this is like when the guys show up with AK's at the Michigan capital...you lose the focus on your argument when you overreact.

These are the types of things that happened when Obama was in office and early on in the Trump administration...Police incident with minority victim due to heavy handed arrest followed by protest...we have seen this record played on and on...I'm not questioning it's truth Or that it needs to stop, it is and it does, I'm only questioning if the reaction too it is going to stop it, because it the past the extremes of the reaction only seems to divide more and make it worse. A different reaction is needed.
After Ferguson, looters and protesters were emboldened to be violent. The mayor said to give them space for their grief and it went from there. That was under Obama. Letting people loot and burn is now becoming the norm

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
After Ferguson, looters and protesters were emboldened to be violent. The mayor said to give them space for their grief and it went from there. That was under Obama. Letting people loot and burn is now becoming the norm

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Letting cops of the hook is also a norm; Police have a difficult job and the public cedes them authority; That authority comes with a responsibility that needs to be held in check.

Mar 11, 2006
Is the first you're are hearing about people being shot in Louisville in recent weeks?
Very aware. The police shot a women through a door (impossible to see race of victim) after the police were shot at. Is that the incident you are using as an excuse for 7 other people to be shot during riots?

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Very aware. The police shot a women through a door (impossible to see race of victim) after the police were shot at. Is that the incident you are using as an excuse for 7 other people to be shot during riots?
-A registered gun owner defending his home while plainclothes officers were lurking outside his door.
-The officers were at the wrong address and no one was wearing bodycams (so you and I both are murky on the details of the chain of events)
-The suspect they were seeking was already in custody.

The registered gun owner was immediately arrested (has since been let go and charges dropped)

Imagine the Minneapolis PD wouldn't have this level of unrest if they acted with similar speed.

Mar 11, 2006
-A registered gun owner defending his home while plainclothes officers were lurking outside his door.
-The officers were at the wrong address and no one was wearing bodycams (so you and I both are murky on the details of the chain of events)
-The suspect they were seeking was already in custody.

The registered gun owner was immediately arrested (has since been let go and charges dropped)

Imagine the Minneapolis PD wouldn't have this level of unrest if they acted with similar speed.
What are you attempting to say? Are you saying that an error by the police excuses rioting and burning of property, destroying buildings, and shooting other people?

Mar 11, 2006
CNN, as per usual, is fanning the flames of the riot. They are advertising a special program tomorrow titled “I Cant’t Breath, Blacks Living aNd Dying in America”.

Somebody should live fact-check how many factually Incorrect statements are made during that program - designed to further divide America.