George Floyd

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Do we have an issue with how police behave when arresting black people in some instances? YES, for sure.
Should cities be burned to the ground and the innocent punished because of it? NO, not at all.

The mentality that the entire society should pay a drastic price for the poor/obscene actions of a few is how we slip into anarchy. Why must city's burn in order to prove a point that has nearly universal agreement, at least in this case...what happens when some of the people escalates into violence and property destruction is that the point of the outburst is lost and/or is now seen as justified by some if not many. The stoking of the fire is the problem, as is the incident...this is like when the guys show up with AK's at the Michigan capital...you lose the focus on your argument when you overreact.

These are the types of things that happened when Obama was in office and early on in the Trump administration...Police incident with minority victim due to heavy handed arrest followed by protest...we have seen this record played on and on...I'm not questioning it's truth Or that it needs to stop, it is and it does, I'm only questioning if the reaction too it is going to stop it, because it the past the extremes of the reaction only seems to divide more and make it worse. A different reaction is needed.
I wonder statistically what your odds are of dying in police custody if you’re an African American male. It has to be absolutely minuscule. In any profession where you put the lives of others into the hands of those professionals you will have bad apples that don’t take that privilege as they should. Whether it be doctors, pilots, etcetera. If these officers overstepped their bounds then they should be fully prosecuted and punished. The training and education should always be top notch but I don’t see any proof that it isn’t.

But I find it disingenuous that these instances of police impropriety are (keeping in mind that in virtually every one of these instances that become famous the officers are almost always exonerated) get so much notoriety from the MSM. The agenda by the media is to incite riots and violence and nothing else. As a minority, I’m far more outraged at what happens in our inner cities and the blind eye that gets turned to that. But as always, I refuse to be duped by our corrupt national media.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
The first tweet was in response to peaceful protests. The second tweet was in response to looting & burning buildings to the ground. It isn't really a valid comparison.

I've always had a great deal of respect & admiration for Dr. Martin Luther King. He did things the right way and created lasting change. The world needs more people like him.

BTW, I absolutely agree with the outrage. I just don't agree with the way some people are showing it.
Here's what he had to say:

…I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation’s summers of riots are caused by our nation’s winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention.
In other words. Think about why these people feel they even have to act this way and start fucking listening to them.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The extremes in the reaction will stop when the extremes in the policing stop. You can not expect one extreme to be tolerated repeatedly without an extreme response....because the extreme response is the most effective way to shine a spotlight on and draw attention to extreme policing in a world of 24hr information sharing.

Police have a an abundance of less than lethal tools to subdue individuals and make an arrest today. However, the training and regulation of use of the less than lethal technology is so varied from dept to dept and state to state by police and many times the less than lethal is the 2nd or 3rd option

Many police depts now use a system of Physical force, then less than lethal, and then Lethal force. However, many times the Physical leads straight to Lethal when the Physical fails. I'm not so sure if more police depts would embrace Less than Lethal FIRST vs physical if it wouldn't curb some of the extreme outcomes
I disagree, the extremes of reaction cause a continued, and even escalated, extreme in police brutality because it confirms their ignorant biases. Just as the Michigan protest was HURT severely but the idiots that showed up for war with their AK's...I'm not debating the wrongs done by the cop...he was wrong and IMHO acted in a disgusting murderous bully way and is IMHO, guilty of nothing less than man slaughter, but that isn't for me to decide...it's for a jury and judge. He needs to be in jail and if he isn't that was just stupid on the part of the city and would have deescalated this entire response. It makes me question the sanity or the agenda of the city? Still, the response to one mans action and a few of the other cops inaction (I think due to bullying, yes I have no evidence of this), is not productive but counter productive and shines a negative light on the people rioting and looting (not the protestors that is more than appropriate). The focus was squarely on this without the riots...now it moves into political territory instead of being mutually condemned. That's the problem with escalating...it moves it into political territory when it should not be political but mutually outrageous.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I wonder statistically what your odds are of dying in police custody if you’re an African American male. It has to be absolutely minuscule. In any profession where you put the lives of others into the hands of those professionals you will have bad apples that don’t take that privilege as they should. Whether it be doctors, pilots, etcetera. If these officers overstepped their bounds then they should be fully prosecuted and punished. The training and education should always be top notch but I don’t see any proof that it isn’t.

But I find it disingenuous that these instances of police impropriety are (keeping in mind that in virtually every one of these instances that become famous the officers are almost always exonerated) get so much notoriety from the MSM. The agenda by the media is to incite riots and violence and nothing else. As a minority, I’m far more outraged at what happens in our inner cities and the blind eye that gets turned to that. But as always, I refuse to be duped by our corrupt national media.
While I have no doubt that some cops are racist bastards, I also have no doubt that some cops are dirt bags to all races, AND that other cops (the vast majority) are civil and upstanding citizens who just want to help fight crime and protect the citizenry. As someone who has been brutalized (twice) personally by police in my past, I know this occurs regardless of race (and in Stillwater back in the day no less). The problem is that we have too many are power hungry and easily triggered Barney Fifes...this doesn't mean that the majority are that and when entire communities are escalated for political purposes we have a national problem. We shouldn't choose sides, but rather we should rise above the BS and attempt to preach love and understanding across racial lines...walk a mile in someone's shoes, understand that ideas aren't universal even within a race...that people are individuals and think for themselves and don't ALL fall pray to groupthink BS that the media seems to think they do. The POTUS doesn't help when he makes silly snide remarks that only foster the political divide further rather than offer understanding. He needs a DAMN filter badly. Sure, condemnation needs to be evident for both the incident and the reaction too it, and a question should be asked as to why the guy wasn't immediately put in jail while being investigated...but reactionary statements are absurd when they don't put water on the fire. what types of statements or reactions would have curbed this violence...I think if they would have jailed the cop in separate quarters until trial? maybe?

Wisdom would be to take a deep breath and a step back and serve justice...our nation is lacking in wisdom because our top down leadership isn't displaying it and hasn't since Bush was in office. Escalation and side taking isn't leadership...it's undisciplined bravado...What we need is Wisdom and sound speech...it's times like these that I really wish we would have elected Dr. Carson, a person of sound reason, love for country, and deep life experience wisdom.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
Here's what he had to say:

…I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation’s summers of riots are caused by our nation’s winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention.
There's a lot of wisdom in what he said there. He starts out by saying that riots should be condemned vigorously, but he goes onto illustrate the fact that they're a symptom of the underlying sickness of injustice. As a nation, we should always seek to provide freedom & justice to all, regardless of race. The President has called for an expedited investigation so that justice will be served quickly. It appears that he's doing his part to make sure that happens.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
One of my weirdo friends on facebook posted a conspiracy about all of this being staged (not fake but orchestrated by Soros). Initially I just blew it off, but dang, all the blatant acts that have been occurring... The event itself, the CNN crew getting arrested on live broadcast, the officer pepper-spraying a group of people as he drove by in his cruiser. Like WTF?? None of it seems like things that "just happen"... I've had to pause and glance over at my foil a few times today already...

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
One of my weirdo friends on facebook posted a conspiracy about all of this being staged (not fake but orchestrated by Soros). Initially I just blew it off, but dang, all the blatant acts that have been occurring... The event itself, the CNN crew getting arrested on live broadcast, the officer pepper-spraying a group of people as he drove by in his cruiser. Like WTF?? None of it seems like things that "just happen"... I've had to pause and glance over at my foil a few times today already...
Oh, so an agent for Soros told a cop he would pay him an irresistible sum of cash for putting the knee to Floyd, along with a bunch of other people paid to be in on the act as well? Maybe his problem is that he takes Alex Jones seriously.

Last edited:

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Oh, so an agent for Soros told a cop he would pay him an irresistible sum of cash for putting the knee to Floyd, along with a bunch of other people paid to be in on the act as well?
Does that really sound much more insane than what has actually happened so far? The behavior (on the side of the police) has been pretty ballsy, like I have a hard time seeing them acting the way they have unless they thought they were 100% in the clear of any consequences.

Mar 11, 2006
No, you're all out WRONG. From his position, Colin Kaepernick is speaking for millions of blacks who are not fabulously rich, well privileged and who don't have a national stage. They don't want it by being shown looting. He isn't speaking for the looters.
Kaepernick is LITERALLY funding riots. Go read his tweets. @bleedinorange is right. He is NOT a good dude.

Oct 30, 2007
Coach Boynton typed a letter about this and posted it to Twitter. It's sad to think that he worries his son won't be safe when he leaves the house.