George Floyd

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
So what about your “7 people fired with rubber bullets”? Are you seriously advocating for police to stand idly by and just watch a $100k+ vehicle get destroyed by rioters?

You do realize that 7 people were actually shot in Louisville on May 29th during the riots. And shot by other rioters.
Yeah, I do. That is not a good thing, and there is an element that just wants mayhem and/or free stuff. There is a video going around with some millionaire you tube channel guy looting stores too. That is the epitome of what this shouldn't be about.

What I find pretty strange is that out of all the videos, you find one that is in a gray area and try to make a point on it, and downplay assault on completely innocent people in several others. There are two videos of cops driving their car into protestors. Do you think the cops who did those actions will face a reprimand or any sort of consequences?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
Yeah, I do. That is not a good thing, and there is an element that just wants mayhem and/or free stuff. There is a video going around with some millionaire you tube channel guy looting stores too. That is the epitome of what this shouldn't be about.

What I find pretty strange is that out of all the videos, you find one that is in a gray area and try to make a point on it, and downplay assault on completely innocent people in several others. Do you think the cops who did those actions will face a reprimand or any sort of consequences?
WTF! Stopping a mob from destroying a police truck is a “gray area”!!!?? You are an incredible rioter apologist.

If the police try to stop a rioter from burning a building is the rioter “just crossing the line”. C’mon man! Wake up. We have people destroying livelihoods and you are excusing their disgusting behavior, I challenge you to turn on MSNBC RIGHT NOW and tell me that the police are not showing incredible restraint from idiots and rioters burning cars and throwing stuff at them.

I am all for law enforcement needing training not to abuse freedoms, but I am not anti-police and certainly not pro-destruction of property.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
The best thing would be to out the extremists now and learn from this to make our police force better in the future.

Call it racism, overreaction by the police, whatever you want. We have a system that makes it very difficult for the average person to see justice when someone in uniform takes it too far. In the long term there needs to be training and development of people who wear the badge. I think the majority of them are trying to do the right thing. But you get some who are, for lack of a better word, pricks, and they get a career opportunity where they can bully people and get away with it. You also have people who try, but just don't have the training to handle things when it gets real. I was reading a Facebook post about the Camden, NJ police department. A few years ago they went to a policy intended to de-escalate events instead of using traditional tactics and it seemed to work. Stuff like that nationwide would really help. We're here right now because a guy had a medical emergency in the middle of an arrest. The minute he says he can't breathe, if the cops took him at his word, backed off and got an ambulance there this doesn't happen. That isn't going to happen overnight.

Right now though, our problem is extremists are taking over the narrative and people are scared and lapping it up. A month ago we had armed insurrections in multiple state capitols. Those were set in motion by right wing extremists who were using the pandemic as an opportunity to promote anarchy. This past weekend, 90% of the protesters were good people who have had enough and took to the streets. These were peaceful protests and in many communities it was a beautiful thing (looking at you Flint Michigan-I wish every community had a public servant half as amazing as your county sheriff). But in many it was sad. Looking at videos I saw a lot of people trying to be peaceful and then some jackass takes it too far. The people trying to take it too far had an agenda and it wasn't peaceful civil disobedience because a black man lost his life due to police brutality. There are extremists on both sides who wanted to use this moment to promote anarchy and they were very successful. Many here equate BLM to a terrorist organization (I wonder what you would have thought about MLK 60 years ago but that is a debate for another day) but honestly what I saw was people associated with them telling those breaking things to cut it out because they weren't helping. Certain organizations planted people who are good at orchestrating violence and inciting others and they were very successful the last 48 hours. Those organizations will continue to do so as long as they are left unchecked. Find their leaders and charge them with domestic terrorism and we will all be better off for it.

Apr 7, 2006
I don't find that shocking, but like everything else in the job it depends on how you administer it and how you interpret aggression and resistance.

Thats the thin line law enforcement has to walk. They have to deal with the worst/most dangerous members of society on a daily basis and enforce the law with fairness - all the while protecting themselves, the powerless and the rights of those that in some cases harm them.

I'm not defending law enforcement here, just saying it's a difficult job for those who do it well.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
WTF! Stopping a mob from destroying a police truck is a “gray area”!!!?? You are an incredible rioter apologist.

If the police try to stop a rioter from burning a building is the rioter “just crossing the line”. C’mon man! Wake up. We have people destroying livelihoods and you are excusing their disgusting behavior, I challenge you to turn on MSNBC RIGHT NOW and tell me that the police are not showing incredible restraint from idiots and rioters burning cars and throwing stuff at them.

I am all for law enforcement needing training not to abuse freedoms, but I am not anti-police and certainly not pro-destruction of property.
Still sidestepping my question I see?

I don't agree with rioting and destruction of private property, but I can understand some of the targeting of police vehicles from people who don't feel heard. Some, as I mentioned before, just like mayhem. Its not right either, but one I hold to a higher standard, cause it is their job.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
So, you know all the facts that will be presented to a jury?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get the hell over it. Pretty much every athletic department is releasing a statement on it. What would be "not wise" is not acknowledging that they have their athlete's backs.
Having your athletes’ back’s is one thing, but essentially describing Floyd’s death as racially motivated murder without all the facts is way premature. Yes, many signs point to that. But in the US, you’re innocent until PROVEN guilty, or haven’t you heard?

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Having your athletes’ back’s is one thing, but essentially describing Floyd’s death as racially motivated murder without all the facts is way premature. Yes, many signs point to that. But in the US, you’re innocent until PROVEN guilty, or haven’t you heard?

Welp, good luck with your outrage then. I'm not sure what repercussions you think the athletic department is going to face for putting out this statement.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Welp, good luck with your outrage then. I'm not sure what repercussions you think the athletic department is going to face for putting out this statement.
Uh, the same reason any public figure/institution should choose their words wisely - so they don’t appear to pre-judge final justice and potentially have to walk back their comments.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city

They are an athletic department not an American court of law. You are not necessarily innocent until proven guilty for having a smartass look on your face while kneeing someone’s neck for 8 minutes until they die in the opinion of an athletic department. Americans are constitutionally allowed to voice opinions that are formed regardless of what happens in court, or haven’t you heard?

I suppose you now think OJ didn’t kill his wife since he was PROVEN innocent. Or, nah, given your opinions on this issue so far that was a REALLY bad example.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Outraged? No. I just said the AD comments weren’t wise.

Not wise for a public figure/institution to pre-judge final justice.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

They are an athletic department not an American court of law. You are not necessarily innocent until proven guilty for having a smartass look on your face while kneeing someone’s neck for 8 minutes until they die in the opinion of an athletic department. Americans are constitutionally allowed to voice opinions that are formed regardless of what happens in court, or haven’t you heard?

I suppose you now think OJ didn’t kill his wife since he was PROVEN innocent. Or, nah, given your opinions on this issue so far that was a REALLY bad example.
The AD declaring the cop guilty of racially motivated murder sends the message to the athletes it’s okay to pre-judge. Not sure that’s a solid message to send students you’re trying to educate.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
The AD declaring the cop guilty of racially motivated murder sends the message to the athletes it’s okay to pre-judge. Not sure that’s a solid message to send students you’re trying to educate.

When a large segment of our population is clearly hurting, making BS excuses like “innocent until proven guilty” instead of standing in solidarity for something so blatantly obvious to the naked eye and in line the prior acts of the perpetrator is definitely not a solid message.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK

What signs point to it being racially motivated? I’m not really following the story so I’m asking in earnest.

Also, I saw somebody post something earlier that said Floyd didn’t die of suffocation but of basically a drug overdose coupled with pre-existing conditions. Was that a hoax or something?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

When a large segment of our population is clearly hurting, making BS excuses like “innocent until proven guilty” instead of standing in solidarity for something so blatantly obvious to the naked eye and in line the prior acts of the perpetrator is definitely not a solid message.
So let’s all stand in solidarity and take the cop behind the jail and lynch him. That work for you?

Better idea. Let’s let the justice system solve this incident while we respectfully ask law enforcement to continue to work towards enforcing our laws more equally in the areas where they fall short.