General Complaint Department

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
"Got stupid slogans?"

Got milk was not clever. Since that annoying add campaign I don't think a week has gone by I don't see some stupid parody on it. Got beer?, got fish, got insurance?, got sleep?,

Stop it. The original campaign was not clever. 2 decades, and thousands of knock offs later it's really, really not clever.

Please stop.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
"Got stupid slogans?"

Got milk was not clever. Since that annoying add campaign I don't think a week has gone by I don't see some stupid parody on it. Got beer?, got fish, got insurance?, got sleep?,

Stop it. The original campaign was not clever. 2 decades, and thousands of knock offs later it's really, really not clever.

Please stop.

Got Issues?

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
"Got stupid slogans?"

Please stop.
You're evidence that it worked.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Between a rock and hard place.

I've been teaching 10yrs but I have to try to find my way out. Ultimately, I have to find a way to make more money so that my wife can work less and stay home more with our special needs daughter. Right now, we are ok financially, but we aren't really comfortable. My wife is a machine, but she is slowly wearing herself out. I hope it's slowly.

I've taken some interviews and gotten nowhere. I usually do well in those settings, but right now I feel like I'm caught in between worlds. I got into teaching eyes wide open. You won't hear me complain often about pay because I knew the deal going in and agreed too it. Things have changed, however, and I don't know which way to turn.

I have a job the starts up again in the fall. I do some extra duty things to make some extra money and that helps, but ultimately it isn't enough imho. Understand, I have to earn enough so my wife will relax and let herself slow down.

I'll accept prayers and suggestions.

I'm looking at near $40K again this year. I need to push it more toward $50k.
I have been where you are. It worked out but it was hard. I will be honest, if you are looking for a long term solution you are probably going to have to leave the classroom. Don't get caught in what a lot of guys in their mid-fifties got caught in and cash in your retirement though

May 30, 2012
Death. People who chose to drink and not stop drinking when they are dying.
The person who hired me to the position I have now passed away today. He had psoriasis of the liver. He got sick in October of last year. He was told I stop drinking but kept doing it. How selfish is that. Your family needs you.
So many emotions I'm going thru.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Death. People who chose to drink and no stop drinking when they are dying.
The person who hired me to the position I have now passed away today. He had psoriasis of the liver. He got sick in October of last year. He was told I stop drinking but kept doing it. How selfish is that. You're family needs you.
So many emotions I'm going thru.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Sorry you are going through this

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I'm bringing it back folks! I'm so damn sick and tired of wired in smoke detectors faulting in the middle of the effing night, causing the whole system to go off! Tonight is the 3rd time in the past 5 years that it's happened to us (3 different sensors at 2 different houses) and every damn time it's been in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, waking up the entire house. The icing on the cake with this one though is that the sensor that faulted has its OWN siren on the device itself that continues to go off even after disarming the system AND it's the sensor that's in my kids bedroom who spiked a fever just before bed. F*** THESE SENSORS...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I'm bringing it back folks! I'm so damn sick and tired of wired in smoke detectors faulting in the middle of the effing night, causing the whole system to go off! Tonight is the 3rd time in the past 5 years that it's happened to us (3 different sensors at 2 different houses) and every damn time it's been in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, waking up the entire house. The icing on the cake with this one though is that the sensor that faulted has its OWN siren on the device itself that continues to go off even after disarming the system AND it's the sensor that's in my kids bedroom who spiked a fever just before bed. F*** THESE SENSORS...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Funny you bring this up.

I'll share an important lesson I learned through my parents recently on fire/smoke detectors: If you have battery-powered ones, make sure they are Bluetooth & talk to each other.

My parents' friends sat in their living room one night & one of them eventually said "do you smell smoke?" "No, I don't" the other replied.
Well, 2 minutes later, a neighbor's beating on their front door frantically.
So they go to the door to see what's going on & the neighbor tells them their house is on fire. Half the house was ablaze & they had no idea because of their alarms not talking to each other.

Feb 25, 2008
And this is why to leave your thermostat at a constant temperature.....

https://sdinspect.com/home-facts/smoke-alarms/
Most smoke detectors operate on batteries or have a backup battery. When these batteries fall below a certain voltage, the detector warns us by chirping. Electricity is produced by a chemical reaction inside the battery. As with most chemical reactions, lower temperatures cause the chemical reactions to occur more slowly. This results in reduced electrical output, so the detector is simply telling you that the battery is nearly dead.

As we all know temperatures drop during the night. When you have a battery that is near the end of its life, it may produce just enough power during the warmth of the day to satisfy the detector. However, when the evening temperatures drop enough to slow the chemical reaction of the battery, and thus the electrical output, the detector warns that the battery is too weak to function. And that is why they almost always wake us up in the middle of the night.

Chirp. Chirp.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
And this is why to leave your thermostat at a constant temperature.....

https://sdinspect.com/home-facts/smoke-alarms/
Most smoke detectors operate on batteries or have a backup battery. When these batteries fall below a certain voltage, the detector warns us by chirping. Electricity is produced by a chemical reaction inside the battery. As with most chemical reactions, lower temperatures cause the chemical reactions to occur more slowly. This results in reduced electrical output, so the detector is simply telling you that the battery is nearly dead.

As we all know temperatures drop during the night. When you have a battery that is near the end of its life, it may produce just enough power during the warmth of the day to satisfy the detector. However, when the evening temperatures drop enough to slow the chemical reaction of the battery, and thus the electrical output, the detector warns that the battery is too weak to function. And that is why they almost always wake us up in the middle of the night.

Chirp. Chirp.
I WISH it was just a chirp chirp... Instead I get "HEY! EVERYONE IN THE HOUSE! THE HOUSE IS FIRE! NOT REALLY BUT HEY! HURRY! YOU'RE TOTALLY GONNA BE PISSED WHEN YOU STUMBLE ACROSS THE HOUSE WITH A HEART RATE LIKE YOU JUST RAN A MARATHON! BOW TO ME HOUSE DWELLERS!" And then I'm awake for 3 more hrs trying to get my body and mind to chill the f*** out...

Feb 25, 2008
I've been looking to replace my smoke detectors as they claim they only last 10 years. At the hardware stores I've seen some that have a 10 year lithium ion battery. I haven't yet investigated them as I need ones to connect to my alarm system.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/health/did-you-know-smoke-detectors-expire/
(Over time they lose sensitivity. ... “It is the sensors that fail after a given amount of time, not so much the electronic circuitry or the radioactive ionization source. The sensor modules rely on an electro-chemical reaction to smoke/CO, they get saturated over time depending on exposure and also just plain start breaking down.”)

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
So, after sitting at home waiting through the 8-12 window I was given, They call me at 11 to say they'll be there closer to noon and end up finally arriving about 1... Pulls down the detector and it has a little black puck that I guess controls the air flow around the sensor, tells me it's dirty then swaps out the puck. Problem solved. He went ahead and replaced the ones on the rest of the sensors too and was gone in about 20 minutes. Man that crap is irritating... At least I hopefully don't have to deal with a middle of the night house alarm for a few years...