Genealogy websites

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

bleedaggie

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Try Ancestry.com

You have to register, but it's free so far as I can tell. I think it's associated with the mormons though, so be careful.

okstate5968

Orange Power Goddess
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 15, 2003
Stillwater
www.remembertheten.com
You didn't offend me at all. A friend of mine moved into a new house, and was invited over to the neighbor's for dinner...turns out the neighbors are mormon...and after dinner, wanted to show them a little video. The funny part was around Christmas I kept seeing this commercial on TV about the book of Mormon...and it said to call this phone number for a copy, or ask your mormon neighbor. I laughed everytime I saw it!

bleedaggie

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
They're great people for the most part, but are sadly misinformed when it comes to truth. The (true) Christian church could learn a lot about family and moral integrity from the mormon church, but unfortunately Mormons hold to those values for all the wrong reasons.

Jan 6, 2004
Portland, OR.
You might try these websites. I think most are free.

www.ancestry.com
www.confederatearcives.com
www.ellisislandrecords.com
www.genealogicalindex.com
www.genealogy.com
www.genealogylibrary.com
www.genforum.genealogy.com
www.gensearcher.com
www.familyhistory.com
www.familyreunion.com
www.familysearch.org (this one is MORMON CHURCH)
www.familytreemaker.com (this one has some free things
but they will hound you with e-mails to buy & suscribe)

You can also do google search for individuals. Put your full great-grand father or mother's name in and search. Many people that are really into this have put their family information on their website. You might turn up a distant relative that has done a lot of the work for you.

Don't laugh too much at the Mormons. They believe that you will be reunited with your ancestors in heaven. However, you must know who they are in order to find them in Heaven. Thus, Mormon's in High School have to trace their family tree. The Mormon archives are probably the largest single source of family tree information for Americans and Western Europeans anywhere. By the way, I'm not a Mormon.

bleedaggie

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Don't laugh too much at the Mormons. They believe that you will be reunited with your ancestors in heaven. However, you must know who they are in order to find them in Heaven.
Actually, they go a little farther than that. They believe you have to know who they are, and be baptized by proxy (in their place). There are also instances in which a mormon man will marry a deceased woman by proxy since women are only granted access to their heaven by way of their husband calling them up. This is how the mormon church justified polygamy for so many years. After all, who would deny the right for so many women to be called up into heaven?

bleedaggie

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Yep. And that the God of the Bible is simply a glorified man who lived a good life on His planet and was promoted to godhood. That's a simplistic way of stating their position, but accurate.

Kind of gives a renewed meaning to Satan's original temptation in the garden of Eden... "you will be like God..."