Gee says football will go on even if players get

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
From 247 sports:

A name that is very familiar to Ohio State fans made some very interesting comments on Monday that are getting a lot of attention. West Virginia president E. Gordon Gee -- the former president at Ohio State -- appeared on the Paul Finebaum show on SEC Network. The conversation surrounded what the 2020 college football season might look like when it starts, and what the protocols might be if a player tests positive for the coronavirus.
"I think we're learning how to control it," Gee said. "And one thing is we need to get over the panic. We need to be calm about this thing. It is here and we have to deal with it, but if one of our athletes for example -- and we're talking about football right now -- if one of our athletes gets the coronavirus, we can't just shut the whole thing down. We need to figure out how to control that part of what we're doing. Someone is going to come down with the coronavirus, let's just be clear about that. So, the question is how do we handle that? Do we have isolation rooms? Do we put them into quarantine? A number of things like that.
"Then the final thing in terms of college football is how do we make certain that our team and all the visiting teams are given the opportunity to protect themselves from the virus, but also to be able to play the game in a safe environment."
College football analyst Laura Rutledge gave her take while appearing on ESPN's Get Up Tuesday morning.
"There's been a shift over the last couple of weeks, maybe a little longer than that, where some of the decision-makers in college football have said exactly what you heard Gee say right there: That they know it is inevitable that someone will test positive for coronavirus, so how do we handle that? Those are the types of things that are being discussed daily and there are differing opinions across the country as you might imagine.
"But I have spoken to a few lately who have said they would take a model that is similar as when a player gets the flu. And let me be clear here: No one is saying that the coronavirus is just like the flu. There are obviously differences there and they are taking the severity into consideration. But they would isolate players who have tested positive and then go forward from there."
Finebaum then gave his opinion on Gee's comments.
22COMMENTS
"I think what President Gee said is the most significant moment of the push to get college football back," Finebaum said. "Because until now, all we have heard is 'What if?' And the feeling was that the whole thing would get shut down like we saw back in March. What Gee is saying is we can't be fearful and I have heard that from coaches. I know Laura has expressed it as well. Yes, you have to have a plan, but the season doesn't begin for another three months and I think they will have a plan. But the biggest plan they have to have is what happens if (a player gets the virus). If they can implement that, I think we are going to have college football and we're going to have it in a big way."
It sure appears as though momentum continues to mount in the direction of having a 2020 college football season this fall, and is likely very good news to everyone reading this.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
Thanks Nolaeer. I generally like your posts. Here's my nickle's worth that I have posted before. My daughter, age 48 and healthy, is an ER nurse in LA and a Covid survivor. She was sick for a few days and then fine. I think this is the norm for people under 60 WITHOUT underlying health issues. On any issue there are always some outliers that buck the norm, so there will be a few young people die of Covid, but a few young people also die from a helluva lot of other things too.

Oct 30, 2007
I've really been wondering how this will work. Under the current guidelines, you're supposed to self isolate for 14 days if you've had close exposure to anyone that has tested positive for the virus. Are we going to self isolate the entire football program for 2 weeks if a player tests positive? If that were to happen, would the games be cancelled or forfeited?

Some tough decisions are going to have to be made. I'm glad I'm not the one that has to make them.

Nov 18, 2010
The sooner we reach "herd immunity" the better for our overall, long term health. Lots of doctors have been saying this for months, but it's nice to see political leaders are now allowed to take this position.

College football might be what saves America from this "News event".

Oct 30, 2007
I would like to read about the football community thoughts when the “if”occurs what testing protocols are implemented.
It's tough to say. I think that we would have to follow national guidelines or we would open ourselves up to a lawsuit. The national guidelines may very well change over the next few months. So we'll have to wait and see.

The NBA & MLB have talked about reopening in the next few weeks. They'll have to put a plan in place to deal with this issue as well. The NCAA will likely study what they do and implement a similar plan.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
It's tough to say. I think that we would have to follow national guidelines or we would open ourselves up to a lawsuit. The national guidelines may very well change over the next few months. So we'll have to wait and see.

The NBA & MLB have talked about reopening in the next few weeks. They'll have to put a plan in place to deal with this issue as well. The NCAA will likely study what they do and implement a similar plan.
An interesting aspect of this, though, is that the NCAA doesn't really have the same power that the pro leagues do to implement something in college football. The Power 5 conferences are going to drive this, ultimately, imo.

Then you add in how different this situation is from place to place. Right now, only 5 of 12 PAC12 schools will even commit to on-campus classes in the fall. We know the SEC's likely to have full participation, so a one size fits all mandate from the NCAA is unlikely, imo. I think we'll see a lot of conference & state guidance making up the framework for returning to sports.

"NCAA president Mark Emmert said Tuesday that it won't mandate or oversee a uniform return to college sports. ... He added that the NCAA's role is to "provide guidance and support." The NCAA president additionally said he has a formal call with the nearly three-dozen Division I commissioners at least once a week. " May 13, 2020

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/02/ncaa-plan-return-collegiate-sports/

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Im betting more people aged 16-22 have died or been seriously injured by football and football training related injuries than have died of Corona. I could be wrong, but not by much if I am.

Sep 9, 2013
Curious as to why soccer wasn't included.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Soccer isnt a money making sport. Why risk athletes when their sport isnt crucial? I think they had to include w bball if they included mens bc of title ix, otherwise it likely would have just been football and basketball(m).

Feb 4, 2016
florida
Soccer isnt a money making sport. Why risk athletes when their sport isnt crucial? I think they had to include w bball if they included mens bc of title ix, otherwise it likely would have just been football and basketball(m).
Title 9 is exactly why soccer should have been included. Two men's sports should have two women's sports. The excuse of endangerment doesn't wash as soccer is starting back up worldwide