Game Dates

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 12, 2010
I just looked at the schedule, and our game with Baylor is scheduled to be on the same day as the conference championship game. How is this going to work out if we are supposed to be in the CCG?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I have wondered the exact same thing. My Thoughts are that they are leaving to be flexible to:
A. Move CCG out 1 week.
B. Cancel CCG.
C. Only play game if OSU/Baylor are not in it.

I could see a situation develop in which Baylor is forced to forfeit missed games. We shall see.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
The CCG is scheduled for 12/12 OR 12/19, as needed.
But what does as needed mean? Is it going to be on the 12th unless OSU/BU have a chance to alter the participants? If OSU is a lock for the CCG would we not play Baylor then?

If OSU is a lock and we still play Baylor on the 12th with the CCG is on the 19th, that would put OSU at a disadvantage as the other team would have a bye and 2 weeks to prepare for us.

There needs to be an announcement from the B12 on how this situation will be handled.

EDIT: From the Website
The game has been rescheduled for Saturday, December 12. The Dr Pepper Big 12 Championship remains tentatively scheduled for December 12 or 19 pending game results needed to determine the championship game participants.

Still does not give much clarity/

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I have wondered the exact same thing. My Thoughts are that they are leaving to be flexible to:
A. Move CCG out 1 week.
B. Cancel CCG.
C. Only play game if OSU/Baylor are not in it.

I could see a situation develop in which Baylor is forced to forfeit missed games. We shall see.
No way teams will be forced to forfeit if the game can be rescheduled. Too much TV revenue at stake. If a game can’t be rescheduled and one team has violated COVID protocol, I can see a fine, but not a forfeit. Both teams would just have one less game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Seems pretty clear to me. If the Baylor OSU game has an impact on who plays in the CCG then the CCG will be played on the 19th. If our game doesn't impact who plays in the CCG, then they will both games will be played on the 12th.
I guess what is unclear is if the Baylor game has no bearing on the CCG, will it be played? IE if OSU /OU are a lock for the CCG regardless of the outcome of the Baylor game, would it then be canceled and the CCG be played on the 12th?

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Dang that is a shame then. In this situation the other team will have a bye with two weeks to prepare for us even if the results do not determine the participation as the conference stated.....

Way too soon to play the what-if game as this scenario is unlikely especially in this crazy season. I would say it is more likely the teams are not decided until all games are played. Its possible that other games get moved to that week as well.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
No way teams will be forced to forfeit if the game can be rescheduled. Too much TV revenue at stake. If a game can’t be rescheduled and one team has violated COVID protocol, I can see a fine, but not a forfeit. Both teams would just have one less game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think you can simply state that TV revenue is at stake without understanding the nature of the contract. Sure this year more than any, universities need every dime they can get. However I don't think any of us know the actual financial ramifications of canceling one game on the conference as a whole.

Not to be conspiracy theorist, but there could be a situation in which the conference does not want an undefeated OSU traveling to Baylor mid-December for what could be a "meaningless game" and see them turnaround and play a team fresh off a bye in the CCG. It could potentially jeopardize a Big12 participant in the CFP, which would probably make much more of a financial impact on the conference than canceling the Baylor game (which of course I am speculating and do not know).

I agree it is more likely are not forced to forfeit and just cancel / fine. However, Their inability to handle this situation warrants investigation.

Cancels OOC game with Houston because they would not move the suspension of healthy player out a week - the day before the game. Not that I do not agree with their decision but that is the reality of what happened.
Outbreak on team blamed on false negative after loss to WVU
Postpone OSU game
Still have homecoming celebration with fans and players.....

Everyone in the country is struggling with Covid but no one is handling it as bad as Baylor.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
We could always play the "game" of determining which games we would rather not play.

If we win the next 3 games, then claim we can't field a proper team for OU (avoid a risky rival game on the road, while we let some people heal up. I believe, O-line is one of the criteria). If K-State's new QB looks good, we could avoid that away game, too.

We would end up with 10 games if we play the Big12 Championship. We will have played more games than the PAC12 (6+1) and BIG10 (8+1) teams. That doesn't even include their potential systematic cancellations.

Just playing devil's advocate.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
We could always play the "game" of determining which games we would rather not play.

If we win the next 3 games, then claim we can't field a proper team for OU (avoid a risky rival game on the road, while we let some people heal up. I believe, O-line is one of the criteria). If K-State's new QB looks good, we could avoid that away game, too.

We would end up with 10 games if we play the Big12 Championship. We will have played more games than the PAC12 (6+1) and BIG10 (8+1) teams. That doesn't even include their potential systematic cancellations.

Just playing devil's advocate.
Just evil enough that it might work.....