Former Trump Admin officials, Mark Wayne Mullin business, LIFE Church, Kevin Hern bus. given MILLIONS in COVID funding for businesses

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The CARES ACT flooded multiple trillion dollars and the federal gov passed a lot of the decision making to local authorities (that is where most of the wasted spending occurred IMO).

What seems like corrupt spending by some businesses is deemed necessary by others.

Put it this way. If you are a $40k/year employee and the business you work for is seeing a massive drop in revenue — does it matter if your business is a restaurant, an airline, a hotel, a personal clothier, a strip bar, or a church? You want your employer to get relief to help secure you in payroll. All those businesses seem valid is requesting funds to help in relief.
It's got to bother you if they lie about it though.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
1)

If you think this is much different from how tens of millions of dollars were distributed then I suggest you read more as to where some of the CARES ACT money went. We propped up a lot of industries.
Ten's of millions of Tax payer dollars, distributed to organizations who are exempt from paying into taxes. In this case. A church who's annual income is $43 MILLION TAX FREE....and their CEO is worth $100+ million

I am 100% against tax free and for profit industries getting propped up by tax payer money regardless of the situation

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Ten's of millions of Tax payer dollars, distributed to organizations who are exempt from paying into taxes. In this case. A church who's annual income is $43 MILLION TAX FREE....and their CEO is worth $100+ million

I am 100% against tax free and for profit industries getting propped up by tax payer money regardless of the situation
I thought they were able to classify as not for profit if they reinvested the money in the organization and did the right accounting?

Mar 11, 2006

I am not disagreeing with your last statement. The CARES ACT had a lot of questionable dollars going to multiple locations. Your complaining about a church getting money is selective outrage.

Again, what is the difference if you are an employee of a church versus any other business negatively impacted by COVID? It doesn’t matter what type of org you work for....you want your org to get the same relief offered others.
Would you have exempted churches from CAREs ACT relief? If so, on what grounds? Didnt some gov entities strictly forbid churches from having in-person gatherings?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I am not disagreeing with your last statement. The CARES ACT had a lot of questionable dollars going to multiple locations. Your complaining about a church getting money is selective outrage.

Again, what is the difference if you are an employee of a church versus any other business negatively impacted by COVID? It doesn’t matter what type of org you work for....you want your org to get the same relief offered others.
Would you have exempted churches from CAREs ACT relief? If so, on what grounds? Didnt some gov entities strictly forbid churches from having in-person gatherings?
I have an issue with that particular Church getting the money, not all churches. It is headed by the 4th richest pastor in America who runs a very successful for profit business based on the teachings and popularity of that church. However, when hard times come calling his church puts their hand out to the Govt and not their uber rich CEO

Aug 16, 2012
the initial screw up was their definition of what constitutes a small business. Lines can be grey, but many, many recipients would not fit any other definition of a small business.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

Let's face it the government can be a little careless with the taxpayer dollars, and in a crisis situation where they are in a rush to throw money around it's going to get really nutty. They might have better results just flying around the country throwing bags of money out of an airplane.

Mar 11, 2006
Let's face it the government can be a little careless with the taxpayer dollars, and in a crisis situation where they are in a rush to throw money around it's going to get really nutty. They might have better results just flying around the country throwing bags of money out of an airplane.
That’s spot on.

This was a novel virus, but not a completely new problem. We had decades to plan for how we would handle a pandemic. We should have been better prepared as to how to move funds to needed people.

I am shocked how much money we wasted on telecommunication (it is incredulous that Tulsa Union PS paid Verizon so much for jet packs that are virtually worthless for many of their patrons).
. I am shocked how silly our school breakfast and lunch policies are that were forced tied to the CARES ACT. Tens of millions of dollars of food was wasted because of stringent policies that prohibited schools from using funds for other activities.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I personally think each church should have made the decision NOT to take the money. Even mine took a more modest amount. My advice is that Government money often comes with strings attached and they have invited Government scrutiny by taking the money (opinion)...this is why I'm also against a school voucher system. I don't go to "rock and roll, err life church," but do have several friends who do and find that it can reach a certain segment of unreached society...I didn't, however, know that the pastor was so rich...that's not good at all. Kind of makes me think of them like a televangelist.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Be
So, if they have employees, pay payroll taxes, and are trying to not have to layoff employees; the requirements of receiving the money, then why can't they receive the money again?
Because they turn around and “set” the tithing amount of those employees. And those mega churches all have million dollar cpu labs that help recover money from “Lapsed Givers.” Pyramid scheme to perfection.
Cpu labs?? And tithing is down across the board, as is most charitable giving, due to more people being out of work. It's kind ofa domino effect.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
1)

If you think this is much different from how tens of millions of dollars were distributed then I suggest you read more as to where some of the CARES ACT money went. We propped up a lot of industries.

Once again, this is based on payroll and they still pay payroll taxes.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Personally, I will say that if you have a rich pastor, whether they get a salary from the church or not, they should pony up some of those riches to keep their church solvent.

Jun 20, 2012
Cpu labs?? And tithing is down across the board, as is most charitable giving, due to more people being out of work. It's kind ofa domino effect.

Right now LifeChurch is expanding their campus on 2nd Street by city blocks. Not by an add on or expansion. City blocks. And they’re receiving government emergency funds as they do that. You don’t use taxpayers money for people on the “Church Building Fund.” There will be Hell to Pay.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2012
Part of me thinks we should go back to hanging people for corruption
Pretty easy to corrupt when you remove every IG and thwart every inquiry into said matters. Label it “Draining the Swamp” and you can even get idiots to support it.