Former Sooner Mookie Blaylock in critical condition....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RedRoss

Joe Rugby
A/V Subscriber
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Following a car wreck in Georgia yesterday. He was air lifted to an Atlanta hospital and was actually on life support for a time but came off it and is in guarded and critical condition. Unfortunately a passenger in the car he collided with passed away. Mookie has a history of seizures that flare up at any time so they are trying to figure out what happened. I have a link but pretty much explained it all. Pretty crappy day all around. Mookie was a good one.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9330727/daron-mookie-blaylock-stable-condition-car-crash

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Fun fact: Pearl Jam's original name was Mookie Blaylock

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
No kidding? Spike Lee's character in Do the Right Thing was named Mookie.

With the addition of Dave Krusen on drums, the band took the name Mookie Blaylock, in reference to the then-active All-Star basketball player. The band played its first official show at the Off Ramp Café in Seattle on October 22, 1990,[12] and soon signed to Epic Records. However, concerns about trademark issues necessitated a name change; the band's name became "Pearl Jam".[6] In an early promotional interview, Vedder said that the name "Pearl Jam" was a reference to his great-grandmother Pearl, who was married to a Native American and had a special recipe for peyote-laced jam.[13] In a 2006 Rolling Stone cover story however, Vedder admitted that this story was "total bullshit", even though he indeed had a great-grandma named Pearl. Ament and McCready explained that Ament came up with "pearl", and that the band later settled on "Pearl Jam" after attending a concert by Neil Young, in which he extended his songs as improvisations of 15–20 minutes in length.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Jam

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
Sep 24, 2007

I've always like this one...
Years ago, I read an interview with Gibby Haynes of the Butthole Surfers in Spin magazine. "Pepper" had recently been released and after so many years of making quality music the Surfers finally had a song in the Top 40. Gibby attributed their breakthrough to Beavis & Butthead making it acceptable to say the word "butthole" on public airwaves.

At the end of the interview, the interviewer asked Gibby whether, in hindsight, he would have chosen a different name for his band. Gibby thought about it for a while, took a slug of his whiskey bottle, and replied, "Yeah. I'd call it 'Take a Sh$t in Your Mother's Vagina.'"

Jun 8, 2012
Fun fact: Pearl Jam's original name was Mookie Blaylock
Which makes me love them even more.

Edit & Funner Fact: I saw them at a little teeny amphitheater on Maui during Yield, and because it was on Maui, there might have been a couple of people there who had smoked a lil somethin before the concert... It was a super small venue just off the beach & half the people were in swimsuits and barefooted, and there was this guy laying on the ground at the back wearing (obviously) someone else's suit & randomly yelling

MOOOOOKIE...
MOOOOOOOOOOOKIIIIIEEEEEEE!!

It was righteous.