Former National powers . . . now, not so much

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
Like I said earlier, this is the first time in a decade a Gundy team has gone two consecutive years without a 10 win season. Right now, that’s a hiccup. I think we need more data before we can say it’s a downward trajectory.

As others stated, gained experience alone should lead to improvement considering we were the youngest P5 team in the nation.
This is fair

Good points and well said

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I can read, surely if you can type you can read. I said cheating or problems, not just cheating. These illustrations were mainstream sports news stories.

Clemson- Had three players suspended for PEDS
Alabama- Has the normal crime and lack of punishment
UO- Kennedy Brooks (woman beater), punter (woman beater), Money Joe Mixon, need we continue?
LSU- Three suspended for pot, two suspended for beating down a guy at a bar
tosu- Player suspended for taking money to send family to a bowl game

That's the stuff from the past four months, you want more? We can go back ten years if we need to, but it ain't changing. The NCAA was so made at tosu that they suspended Missouri from the bowls for self reporting.
You really wanna go back 10 years? Because OSU would be on that list if you did.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Wut...? Explain how more money would help him change his mind about bringing 4-5* recruits to Stillwater.
Seriously, you can’t figure that out?
Attracting upper tier recruits takes time and money with a lower success rate. If you spend the money on a loosing effort with a limited budget it is difficult. Expand that budget and you expand the risk tolerance for chasing the higher tier recruits.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
You asked for examples, I gave them. Why are you butthurt that I'm right?
Because you're acting like OSU hasn't had issues at times. Every team does. You're bringing in 100 kids from all over the country to a college campus. Its inevitable. You remember a guy named Tyreek Hill? What about a guy named Justin Blackmon? Those are just off the top of my head. Sure, some teams absolutely cheat or bring in questionable guys so they can succeed, but for you to make the assertion that success requires cheating or legal issues is just a wild guess. The risks are massive, and they know it. But you have that perception, and you went out and found a few examples to confirm your bias.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Seriously, you can’t figure that out?
Attracting upper tier recruits takes time and money with a lower success rate. If you spend the money on a loosing effort with a limited budget it is difficult. Expand that budget and you expand the risk tolerance for chasing the higher tier recruits.
Gundy complained that they tried to recruit some big names, but they never came here, so he quit going after them (unless they are local). Never mentioned funding as the primary reason. He just doesn't believe the big names want to come to OSU / Stillwater, so he gave up.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Gundy complained that they tried to recruit some big names, but they never came here, so he quit going after them (unless they are local). Never mentioned funding as the primary reason. He just doesn't believe the big names want to come to OSU / Stillwater, so he gave up.
Gundy’s concerns: salaries for coaches and support personnel, plus recruiting budgets and resources.

“In comparison to the league, I need them to be in the middle of the pack,” Gundy said. “I think they’ve earned that with what we’ve accomplished in football. We need recruiting budgets to be in the top three or four in the league. Otherwise, it becomes difficult for me, to convince myself, to convince young people, that we can continue to do this or take the next step.” [NewsOK]

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Gundy’s concerns: salaries for coaches and support personnel, plus recruiting budgets and resources.

“In comparison to the league, I need them to be in the middle of the pack,” Gundy said. “I think they’ve earned that with what we’ve accomplished in football. We need recruiting budgets to be in the top three or four in the league. Otherwise, it becomes difficult for me, to convince myself, to convince young people, that we can continue to do this or take the next step.” [NewsOK]
And yet he's the only one that ended up with the fat check. Hmmm..... Like I said - he's better at advocating for himself than his staff or the program, or he'd have his requests met.

You either have a short or very convenient memory. Remember him flirting with other schools constantly to get raises? Because that happened.
Do you remember him pulling other similar antics to get his assistants paid or recruiting budget increased? Me either.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
And yet he's the only one that ended up with the fat check. Hmmm..... Like I said - he's better at advocating for himself than his staff or the program, or he'd have his requests met.

You either have a short or very convenient memory. Remember him flirting with other schools constantly to get raises? Because that happened.
Do you remember him pulling other similar antics to get his assistants paid or recruiting budget increased? Me either.
Yep, I remember. Still you were wrong about recruiting budget and now you want to change the dialogue to salary.

Nov 14, 2010
I can read, surely if you can type you can read. I said cheating or problems, not just cheating. These illustrations were mainstream sports news stories.

UO- Kennedy Brooks (woman beater), punter (woman beater), Money Joe Mixon, need we continue?

That's the stuff from the past four months, you want more? We can go back ten years if we need to, but it ain't changing. The NCAA was so made at tosu that they suspended Missouri from the bowls for self reporting.
I would imagine you know about these things because they are high profile schools, so it makes the National News.

If the back up H back at San Jose State gets caught with marijuana, I'm sure it's much more difficult for that story to make its way across the nation as being any kind of news.

First and foremost, I'm sure it's quite a bit easier for the lower profile schools to sweep things under the rug because the National Media isn't at their front doorstep.

According to Fox Sports, in 2015, over the previous 5 year span to that date, Washington State had the most players arrested and Iowa State, Missouri and West Virginia were in the top Ten.

Iowa, Kentucky, Marshall, Oregon State, Pitt, Arkansas, Purdue and yes Oklahoma State were all in the top 20.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I was listening to a sports show in the past couple of weeks where the subject of blue bloods was being discussed. There is no definitive answer to who is considered a blue blood program. Depending on one’s connotation, there are a number of schools that could be on the list.

But based on some quick research, there are 8 programs since post World War II that has been issued the moniker blue blood program. The label has more to do with the strength of the program post Worker War II than anything. Those teams are Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, Michigan, Texas and Nebraska.

Again, the label is as misleading as what it takes to become a blue blood program. Does one become part of the exclusive club based on number of national championships, consistently being ranked, etc.? If what ABC defines as blue blood is accepted, then there can never be additions or subtractions from the elite club.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I remember him turning one of those flirts into raises for the staff and minimal for him.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 14, 2010
As of last year our highest paid assistant was 39th in terms of highest paid assistants in College football.

After that, our next highest paid assistant was 87th

After that our next highest paid was 194th, then 195th

Kasey Dunn was 202nd highest paid assistant in College Football.

Then 250 was our next coach, then 284, then 357, then 408, then 555

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I would imagine you know about these things because they are high profile schools, so it makes the National News.

If the back up H back at San Jose State gets caught with marijuana, I'm sure it's much more difficult for that story to make its way across the nation as being any kind of news.

First and foremost, I'm sure it's quite a bit easier for the lower profile schools to sweep things under the rug because the National Media isn't at their front doorstep.

According to Fox Sports, in 2015, over the previous 5 year span to that date, Washington State had the most players arrested and Iowa State, Missouri and West Virginia were in the top Ten.

Iowa, Kentucky, Marshall, Oregon State, Pitt, Arkansas, Purdue and yes Oklahoma State were all in the top 20.
But show me where Baylor is on that list? They had the cooperation of local of to sweep things under the rug. You don't think that the high profile schools are able to sweep things away? With big donor money helping?

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
As of last year our highest paid assistant was 39th in terms of highest paid assistants in College football.

After that, our next highest paid assistant was 87th

After that our next highest paid was 194th, then 195th

Kasey Dunn was 202nd highest paid assistant in College Football.

Then 250 was our next coach, then 284, then 357, then 408, then 555
But how are they compared to those assistants with the same titles? Just lumping all assistants in together is apples to oranges.

Nov 14, 2010
But how are they compared to those assistants with the same titles? Just lumping all assistants in together is apples to oranges.

There were 38 coordinators or position coaches paid higher than our offensive coordinator
There were 86 coordinators or position coaches paid higher than our defensive coordinator.

There were 193 assistant coaches paid higher than Josh Henson and Joe Bob Clements
There were 201 assistants paid higher than Kasey Dunn. Etc.......

There were 14 Head Coaches paid higher than Gundy

Nov 14, 2010
But show me where Baylor is on that list? They had the cooperation of local of to sweep things under the rug. You don't think that the high profile schools are able to sweep things away? With big donor money helping?

That plays to my point as Baylor isn't a blue blood and doesn't have the media attention a Blue Blood does.