Former National powers . . . now, not so much

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Anyone not appreciative of the roll that OSU has been on since 2007, needs to look at the National landscape.

We continue to be good (OSU is Good) while some of the Blue Bloods continue to be not-so-good.
I'd like to do better than 8-3, but we are staying at a high level and that is tough to do.

Texas 6-5
Miami 6-5
Florida State 6-5
Nebraska 5-6
Washington 6-5
UCLA 4-7
Tennessee 6-5

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'll do the math later, but I'm guessing we are still #2 in the conference since 2006.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Anyone not appreciative of the roll that OSU has been on since 2007, needs to look at the National landscape.

We continue to be good (OSU is Good) while some of the Blue Bloods continue to be not-so-good.
I'd like to do better than 8-3, but we are staying at a high level and that is tough to do.

Texas 6-5
Miami 6-5
Florida State 6-5
Nebraska 5-6
Washington 6-5
UCLA 4-7
Tennessee 6-5
Considering the lack of experience on this team and all the parts we’ve had to replace, I’m very pleased with 8-3. I’ll be ecstatic with 9-3. Either way, expectations go up next year. Should be at least a 10-win season.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2004

Texas 6-5
Miami 6-5
Florida State 6-5
Nebraska 5-6
Washington 6-5
UCLA 4-7
Tennessee 6-5
But, but Spencer Sanders, TC, turtles defense, mullet, offensive coordinators, kickers and blah blah blah.

Come on man. Have you not been tuned in to this board and all the expert analysis from some of our very football savvy fans?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I remember back in the days of playing Nebraska and wondering just how much they were going to kill us by this time. That used to be a monumental thing when someone in the conference not named OU beat Nebraska.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

Texas 6-5
Miami 6-5
Florida State 6-5
Nebraska 5-6
Washington 6-5
UCLA 4-7
Tennessee 6-5
Arkansas 2-9, lost to LSU yesterday by 36 points.

People who want to change coaches every year need to pay attention. There's no guarantee changing coaches will make anything or everything better.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I remember back in the days of playing Nebraska and wondering just how much they were going to kill us by this time. That used to be a monumental thing when someone in the conference not named OU beat Nebraska.
Nebraska makes me both happy and sad at the same time. They deserve all the college football karma they reap, because they assumed that they could dominate the B1G. But at the same time, it's sad to see a once proud program and the pride of the Big 8 having fallen so badly and can't get up. In the 90s when I lived in Mississippi, Nebraska was about the only Big 8 football that I could get on TV so I watched them a lot. There was a time when in order to beat them you had to get psychologically over seeing the "N" on the helmets. Now, they put fear into no one.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Nebraska makes me both happy and sad at the same time. They deserve all the college football karma they reap, because they assumed that they could dominate the B1G. But at the same time, it's sad to see a once proud program and the pride of the Big 8 having fallen so badly and can't get up. In the 90s when I lived in Mississippi, Nebraska was about the only Big 8 football that I could get on TV so I watched them a lot. There was a time when in order to beat them you had to get psychologically over seeing the "N" on the helmets. Now, they put fear into no one.
Not having 150 scholarships every year sure can hinder a program.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
Nebraska still has a football team?:rolleyes:

I don’t follow pac 12 closely enough but UW and Stanford are probably in a temporary state, I would think. I know USC isn’t horrible but they’ve been on the same level as UT for around a decade now it seems.

Apr 14, 2017
Earth
This is the most sustainable success in the football program. Gundy has done a great job of recruiting good players, but most importantly good kids who represent OSU the right way. Very proud of the team this year, no matter the outcome of ou game. It’s mentioned before but we are the youngest team in a power five conference this year.

Mar 8, 2010
You can probably add Arkansas to that list although its been a while since they were relevant. Back in the SWC day Texas and Arkansas were the Nebraska and uo of their league.

Aug 26, 2004

Texas 6-5
Miami 6-5
Florida State 6-5
Nebraska 5-6
Washington 6-5
UCLA 4-7
Tennessee 6-5

Awesome. But we need to quit watching them fall down the ladder and get ourselves off the current rung and step up.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Rhule has been able to milk the last bit of Briles's talent stockpile. He won't be there much longer. I just wonder how long Texas will not go after a Briles or Myer because they can't take losing anymore.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Rhule has been able to milk the last bit of Briles's talent stockpile. He won't be there much longer. I just wonder how long Texas will not go after a Briles or Myer because they can't take losing anymore.
I don’t think Rhule is depending on Briles’ recruits anymore. He has his own and has done a heck of a job. I hope he moves on to a bigger school in another conference soon or better yet, the NFL.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I don’t think Rhule is depending on Briles’ recruits anymore. He has his own and has done a heck of a job. I hope he moves on to a bigger school in another conference soon or better yet, the NFL.
They have a bunch of seniors that played for Briles, this is his shot to move.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Moving to a conference with no rivals and switching the recruiting area by an entirely different region also doesn't help.
This is what people who wanted us to move to the Pac-12 "anyway" or "by ourselves" aren't taking into account. It very well kill our recruiting. As it is we're having to rely on development of diamonds in the rough.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Considering the lack of experience on this team and all the parts we’ve had to replace, I’m very pleased with 8-3. I’ll be ecstatic with 9-3. Either way, expectations for up next year. Should be at least a 10-win season.
A Big 12 Title and Playoff level season if Chuba and Tylan were to return. Yeah I know they probably won't, but if they did we'd be a Top 10 Team pre-season. C'mon guys, buy an insurance policy and come back and make Cowboy history, first team to make the playoffs and play for a title!