Ford's Moment of Truth Starts Next Year

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 17, 2007
I think Travis has done well with the players that he has inherited, but we will start to see next year what kind of talent evaluator he is. I hope I am wrong but it does not seem like he is bringing in the type of talent that you must in order to compete in the big 12.

Oct 24, 2003
I think he will be fine, but to be honest, we are "vertically" challenged - meaning most teams we play have decent height advantages on us at all 5 positions...that makes it very hard to win games b/c you have to shoot lights out.

okstateguy987

Teamo Supremo
May 7, 2007
Ford has recruited the players he needs. He's recruited height, and he's recruited shooters, and he's teaching them good defense.

The reason you don't see it all right now is because they're all freshmen, and we have four veteran players who need to see the court if we hope to win.

I'm really glad Ford didn't just go out and recruit a bunch of Jucos to fill in. They'd be gone in two years, and our program would get nowhere. This year's class and next year's class have the opportunity to lead us to a Final Four in a few years.

In the meantime, we need to just expect an NCAA berth, and a good showing in conference play. We're not going to be winning 13 or 14 games in conference for another couple of years.

Apr 5, 2007
Planet earth
I think Travis has done well with the players that he has inherited, but we will start to see next year what kind of talent evaluator he is. I hope I am wrong but it does not seem like he is bringing in the type of talent that you must in order to compete in the big 12.
IMHO - Ford's moment of truth was pulling the team together when many fans wrote us off last season and getting to the second round of the tourney.

Which players coming in next season are you not happy with?

http://oklahomastate.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?sport=2

InTheKnow

Usually Last to Know
A/V Subscriber
Apr 1, 2007
Oklahoma
IMHO - Ford's moment of truth was pulling the team together when many fans wrote us off last season and getting to the second round of the tourney.

I agree, and I believe we'll see improvement in this team as the year progresses. However, it won't always be easy to notice as this conference is very talented now.

okstateguy987

Teamo Supremo
May 7, 2007
if they are like the guys we have now all of them.
I just had to reply to this. Here you go again, showing your ass. Cobbins is the #38(rivals) player in the nation, and you're not happy with him? We've got 2 four stars according to Scout. We've got three guys coming in at 6'7, 6'8, and 6'8, no one under 6'3, and you're not happy? Then WHAT are you happy with? Do you want KU's recruiting class? Will that make you happy?

Jul 29, 2006
I just had to reply to this. Here you go again, showing your ass. Cobbins is the #38 player in the nation, and you're not happy with him? We've got three guys coming in at 6'7, 6'8, and 6'8, no one under 6'3, and you're not happy? Then WHAT are you happy with? Do you want KU's recruiting class? Will that make you happy?
yep. Sure will. Or at least Baylors.

Feb 17, 2007

You won't see me questioning Ford's coaching ability. In my mind he has already proven to be very capable. All I am saying is that it takes a combination of recruiting and coaching to be consistent.

As far as next years recruits I will have to see them on the court to make any judgements. I will say that with his first class there are some nice players but there are no difference makers that I can see. With the loss of Anderson Ford better find some difference makers pretty soon or he may have to look for them elsewhere.

Nov 9, 2005
Edmond, Oklahoma
You won't see me questioning Ford's coaching ability. In my mind he has already proven to be very capable. All I am saying is that it takes a combination of recruiting and coaching to be consistent.

As far as next years recruits I will have to see them on the court to make any judgements. I will say that with his first class there are some nice players but there are no difference makers that I can see. With the loss of Anderson Ford better find some difference makers pretty soon or he may have to look for them elsewhere.
We'll have to find some really good players because we lose obi and james. That is a lot of scoring. Ray has got the ability to become one of the top point guards in the Big 12. He has played pretty solid the last 5-6 games. I just hope the cobbins kid is able to come in and contribute. Franklin also shows flashes at times. A good juco shooting guard wouldn't hurt.

pokefan_4

The Colossus of Clout
A/V Subscriber
Jun 23, 2008
Kansas City, Missouri

All of the new guys he has brought in are still VERY VERY young. Penn will be a threat to score next year when he isn't so passive to get the ball in the hands of the "key players."

Give the guy a chance, it's been 1 and 1/2 years since he's been here....

InTheKnow

Usually Last to Know
A/V Subscriber
Apr 1, 2007
Oklahoma

You don't think that Penn has the potential to be a difference maker?

Pilgrim?

Sure, the loss of Anderson will be ruff, but it would be tough on any team.

When this team learns to move the ball better, shot selection will be greatly improved and we'll see more wins.

Do you remember how much Tony Allen improved from junior to senior?

Ford has said, on more than one occasion, that we need better ball movement. I expect that to improve.

Feb 17, 2007
All of the new guys he has brought in are still VERY VERY young. Penn will be a threat to score next year when he isn't so passive to get the ball in the hands of the "key players."

Give the guy a chance, it's been 1 and 1/2 years since he's been here....
Penn could become a very solid point guard. He already plays great defense. He needs to work on his outside shot if he wants to become an elite pt guard in this league.

I like Franklin a lot I think he will be a very sold contributer but never a superstar ( Not that every player needs to be a superstar ) He is the type of player every team needs a solid savy steady workhorse.

As far as superstar quality players after James is gone we have no one. If anyone can refute that I would like to hear the logic.

I am definitely not passing judgement on Ford. All I am trying to do is look at the situation without orange colored glasses.

Feb 17, 2007
You don't think that Penn has the potential to be a difference maker?

Pilgrim?

Sure, the loss of Anderson will be ruff, but it would be tough on any team.

When this team learns to move the ball better, shot selection will be greatly improved and we'll see more wins.

Do you remember how much Tony Allen improved from junior to senior?

Ford has said, on more than one occasion, that we need better ball movement. I expect that to improve.
I think Pigrim is a capable player. By that I mean a glue type guy. He will never be the man.

Penn could be a great one before he leaves. His long range shooting must improve. With a lot of work Penn could be one of the better pt guards in the league.

Yes I remember how much Allen improved but I also remember how much of a freak athlete that he was. No one on this current roster even comes remotely close to that level of athleticism.

okstateguy987

Teamo Supremo
May 7, 2007
Penn could become a very solid point guard. He already plays great defense. He needs to work on his outside shot if he wants to become an elite pt guard in this league.

I like Franklin a lot I think he will be a very sold contributer but never a superstar ( Not that every player needs to be a superstar ) He is the type of player every team needs a solid savy steady workhorse.

As far as superstar quality players after James is gone we have no one. If anyone can refute that I would like to hear the logic.

I am definitely not passing judgement on Ford. All I am trying to do is look at the situation without orange colored glasses.
WTF, dude, not every team NEEDS (or even has!) a superstar, lottery pick like Anderson to succeed! He's the conference's leading scorer! And you have NO IDEA if someone is going to mature enough in the offseason to completely take his place. Stop speculating so negatively about our future players when you have nothing at all to base it on.

Sep 10, 2009

pretty fair assessment right there