#Flyers statement on Kate Smith:

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 22, 2011
Any word from the Philadelphia 76'ers? Their team is named in commemoration of a bunch of slave owners.

Teams from the state of Washington? Teams from Washington D.C.?

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
This is insane. Dims could not get rid of Sen Sheets Byrd, but can stop God Bless America because a singer sang some songs 90 years ago that possibly could offend a snowflake??

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That's_Why_Darkies_Were_Born

"That's Why Darkies Were Born" was a popular song written by Ray Henderson and Lew Brown. It originated in George White's Scandals of 1931. It was most famously recorded by Kate Smith, whose rendition was a hit in 1931,[1] and by Paul Robeson.[2][3] It was also featured in a 1931 all-star recording of a medley of songs from George White's Scandals, where it was sung by Frank Munn on Brunswick and just as famously part of Paul Whiteman medley sung by Mildred Bailey on Victor.

The song has been described as presenting a satirical view of racism.[4]

The song is referenced in:

• The Marx Brothers film Duck Soup, when Groucho Marx's character Rufus T. Firefly says, "My father was a little headstrong, my mother was a little armstrong. The Headstrongs married the Armstrongs, and that's why darkies were born."[4] Part of Marx's line, primarily the term "darkies," was removed from television prints of this film in the early 1970s. The full dialogue was restored in 1980 for home video releases and future broadcast syndication.
  • Gordon and Revel's satirical song "Underneath the Harlem Moon", recorded by Don Redman in 1932 and by Randy Newman in 1970, explains: "They just live for dancing, They're never blue or forlorn, Ain't no sin to laugh or grin, That's why darkies were born."
  • William Dieterle's 1936 film Satan Met a Lady, when Arthur Treacher's character Anthony Travers begins to say "That's why..." and is cut off by Warren William's character Ted Shane who says sarcastically "...darkies were born."
It's a historical cleanse-job.

Randy Newman, they're coming for you next.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Meanwhile the political party that violently fought to preserve slavery and then argued in favor of segregation for a century still won't change it's name. How can the word "Democrat" NOT be offensive when some of the crap like this is?

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://koanewsradio.iheart.com/fea...ent/2019-04-22-its-a-looking-for-love-monday/

HERE ARE JUST SOME LIBERAL HEROES WHO NEED TO BE SCRUBBED FROM HISTORY BECAUSE OF THEIR RACISM Last Friday we told you about the Yankees banning Kate Smith because she recorded two songs deemed racist by today's standards (even though one of them is believed to a satire song). So I thought it would be fun to put other liberal heroes through the "Revised History-O-Rama Meter" and see how they fared. So from now on, these people must be scrubbed from all mentions by liberals:

Franklin Delano Roosevelt. From interning Japanese people en masse to only inviting the white athletes from the 1936 Olympics to the White House (no Jesse Owens, sorry) to refusing to back anti-lynching legislation to appointing a member of the KKK to the Supreme Court, he's a real winner!

Margaret Sanger: She is the liberal hero behind Planned Parenthood, the abortion mill which operates mostly in minority neighborhoods. A eugenicist who believed that the addled and mentally infirm should be sterilized, worked especially hard in black communities.

Alexander Hamilton: The Founding Father adored by the Left since Lin-Manuel Miranda made a hip hop musical about him, is portayed as anti-slavery in the musical, but that's not quite right. One would think a staunch abolitionist wouldn't buy or sell people for others, and yet, he did. Multiple times. I'm not the only one who noticed.

Gertrude Stein: The mother of second wave feminism was a total anti-Semite (her loathing for Jewish patriarchy overriding her own Jewishness) and supporter of the Vichy regime.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton: One of the mothers of the Women's Suffragette movement wasn't above calling black men stupid while fighting for the right of white women ONLY to vote.

Anti-lynching legislation[edit]
Roosevelt condemned lynching as murder, but he did not support Republican proposals to make it a federal crime, although his wife Eleanor did so. Roosevelt told an advocate: "If I come out for the anti-lynching bill now, they [Southern Democratic senators] will block every bill I ask Congress to pass to keep America from collapsing. I just can't take that risk".[

Gertrude Stein:
Her activities during World War II have been the subject of analysis and commentary. As a Jew living in Nazi-occupied France, Stein may have only been able to sustain her lifestyle as an art collector, and indeed to ensure her physical safety, through the protection of the powerful Vichy government official and Nazi collaborator Bernard Faÿ. After the war ended, Stein expressed admiration for another Nazi collaborator, Vichy leader Marshal Pétain.

Last edited:
May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Meanwhile the political party that violently fought to preserve slavery and then argued in favor of segregation for a century still won't change it's name. How can the word "Democrat" NOT be offensive when some of the crap like this is?
Meh, flavor of the month.

Anybody been watching 'Reconstruction: America After the Civil War' on OETA?

I can only get through about an hour at a time with out turning it off. As a nation, we are pretty aware of the slavery.

However, I think the 100 year period after the civil war is the period that our nation likes to gloss over the most.