Finished watching the film....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Noticed that a lot as well. He looks like he runs across the line and can't figure out whom to block. Maybe he's just that bad at pulling and that's why there are so many in this film, but then why run those schemes so much?
But why are we pulling at all on a simple dropback pass? I don't recall ever seeing anything like this at any level of football.

I'll say this, though.......Keyes looks pretty fast. If he could improve his awareness, he would be a great pulling guard.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
But why are we pulling at all on a simple dropback pass? I don't recall ever seeing anything like this at any level of football.

I'll say this, though.......Keyes looks pretty fast. If he could improve his awareness, he would be a great pulling guard.
If he hadn't whiffed it would have been a pretty effective blitz pick-up.

Nov 28, 2008
Wish the bye week was now so this could get figured out.

What I don't comprehend is:
1) how the coaches don't see it? or if they do, why don't they do anything?
2) aren't the "consultants" supposed to look at you from the "outside perspective" and give you critiques? What are these guys doing? Just validating everything that we do?

Oct 7, 2009
The common phrase "...better than nothing!" comes to mind but, on several plays, no. "Nothing" would have been better because (1) it would have removed any doubt from teammates about a blocker's presence, and (2) removed a stumble/fallen log that RBs and the QB were faced when trying to dodge defenders AND errant O-linemen.

"Having No One There" would have opened up the field at least. Removed all indecision about presumptive blocks.

This is an indictment of the coaches. They have decided "This is the best we can do" because apparently they can't 'coach up' anyone to do a superior job - which, when looking at that Page 1 video - is really REALLY a sad statement on recruiting decisions. And while no head-coach is responsible for day-to-day technique teaching, he IS completely responsible for hiring assistants who DO. When the head-coach can't figure out Good from Bad, programs need to accept less-than-mediocrity.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

To mask RPO I'd guess. That's all I can come up with.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
lol

Just try to fool the DL in that .05 seconds so they'll be just as lost as our OL! Brilliant coaching idea! ;)
Those with more knowledge than me can comment, but I would guess it's more about freezing safeties and LBs who are trying to help with run defense. RPO reads are more frequently safeties and LBs anyway, right? Either way, it's clearly confusing us as much as them

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
lol

Just try to fool the DL in that .05 seconds so they'll be just as lost as our OL! Brilliant coaching idea! ;)
Or they'll just run straight to the QB and laugh as our linemen run around like headless chickens.

Watching that film, it would appear this is by design in a lot of cases. Sure, 75 whiffs a lot. But once again, the coaches are designing/running plays that actually compound the problems instead of fixing them.

Our entire coaching staff has a lot of questions to answer. They get paid big money. Let's see some freaking results!