Final Ranking?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 9, 2011
earrth
We should be solid in both the D and O line. That goes a long, long way as great teams start with solid lines. What could have been this year without a patchwork O line.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Not sure what you saw from Kstate that makes you think they will be there, but I think any given year you could put all the rest of your list in a hat and any of them would have equal chances to make it. Although I have to think Iowa State with what they have coming back next year would be the favorite of that group.
KSU stumbled out of the gate losing to Sunbelt, that loss was inexcusable. Then they turned around and got an elusive victory in Norman. I don't care if Rattler had 15 ints in a quarter, it is still impressive. They continued to roll until they lost their multi-year starting QB in Skylar Thompson and needed to start a 19 year old true freshman. Despite all that they still had a chance to make the CCG with 2 weeks left in the season. Thompson comes back and that little dude they have continues to develop.. They will win some football games.

Nov 6, 2010
KSU stumbled out of the gate losing to Sunbelt, that loss was inexcusable. Then they turned around and got an elusive victory in Norman. I don't care if Rattler had 15 ints in a quarter, it is still impressive. They continued to roll until they lost their multi-year starting QB in Skylar Thompson and needed to start a 19 year old true freshman. Despite all that they still had a chance to make the CCG with 2 weeks left in the season. Thompson comes back and that little dude they have continues to develop.. They will win some football games.
Good points. I was more focused on the complete late season collapse. They were not just losing games, but getting blown out.

Mar 8, 2010
If you need any more evidence that 2020 was a year straight from the Twilight Zone, just look at who's in the top 25, Costal Carolina, Louisiana, Liberty, Ball State, San Jose State, Buffalo, etc instead of folks like Auburn, Wisconsin, Washington, LSU, Florida State, Michigan, etc.

Oct 30, 2007
Here's a summary of where the preseason polls have us ranked:
Sporting News: 15th
Brett McMurphy: 18th
Athlon: 21st
247: 23rd
ESPN: Unranked
Bleachers Report: Unranked

We'll probably see a wide range of preseason rankings next year since we've lost so many players and people won't know what to expect.

On a side note, TCU & West Virginia were ranked in some polls as well. The Big 12 should be pretty good next year.
I agree the Big12 is going to be loaded next year. I think OU is going to be a monster and a strong favorite. I think OSU, WVU, TCU, ISU, UT and maybe KSU will all be in the mix to make the CCG. I have a feeling its going to be one of those really fun, but really frustrating seasons for all of those teams. I think they will all lose a game or two that they feel they could have / should have won.
I am not sure how we are on this list. Ou and ut way out in front of us. I think it is return to normal, ou and ut are it, isu might challenge a little but will miss the cut. Rinse and repeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I am not sure how we are on this list. Ou and ut way out in front of us. I think it is return to normal, ou and ut are it, isu might challenge a little but will miss the cut. Rinse and repeat

Care to share how UT is way out in front of us? Last I checked we had a better conference record than them, though they beat us it took 4 turnovers, a roughing the kicker, 4 refs, and overtime.

OU is by far the favorite but 2nd place is going to be a rat race.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Yay we're #20 in a year when we should've finished Top Ten :vomit:

Now half of this year's team has declared for the draft. Excited about the emerging talent but damn, I will never forget how loaded this year's team was. In terms of NFL talent we probably just had our best team yet.

We aren't even included in ESPN's Way Too Early. What an insult.
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...he-2021-way-too-early-college-football-top-25

Maybe some day we'll be as good as Liberty, Coastal, Penn State, U-LA-Lafayette, Ole Miss, Wash, Iowa, Cincy, Indiana, USC, Iowa State, or even UNC.... nevermind the actual big boys

Yes I realize ESPN's rankings are insane and insulting toward the Big 12, but still a valid issue...

Is next year a make-or-break year for Gundy? The last three years obviously weren't.

Last edited:

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Off topic: What the hell is a Chanticleer?
If you need any more evidence that 2020 was a year straight from the Twilight Zone, just look at who's in the top 25, Costal Carolina, Louisiana, Liberty, Ball State, San Jose State, Buffalo, etc instead of folks like Auburn, Wisconsin, Washington, LSU, Florida State, Michigan, etc.
And sadly they will never get the opportunity to play for a national championship until we expand the playoff.

On a side note, what the hell is a Chanticleer?

marvin7

Greenhorn
Dec 12, 2020
OKC
That coaches poll is screwed up. The records are updated, but the rankings are old.
Yeah, we finished #19 in the coaches poll, ahead of Texas. Apparently the coaches took into account that we had a higher winning percentage than Texas and outplayed them head-to-head based on eye test (but not scoreboard, due to a -4 turnover differential and a nullified TD in OT for illegal linemen downfield).

We had a huge leap in the AP to #20, but I bet it would've been more if the AP had been okay with ranking us ahead of Texas.

Playoff rankings of course don't get updated after the championship game, so that's not applicable.

Interesting that Notre Dame only dropped one spot in both AP and Coaches, even after ending their season by getting killed by Clemson and Alabama with back to back losses. Voters way overvalued ND's 2OT victory over a Clemson team missing maybe the best QB in college football.