Final Ranking?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Any guesses on what our final ranking will be and when they will post them since Bama won big tonight and the season is over.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Going into the bowls we ranked
CFP - 21
AP - 26
CP - 21

CFP doesn’t rank post season. I’d imagine we jump a half dozen teams (give or take) by grabbing a one of the few t-25 wins and there were a handful of other teams ahead of us that lost. I could see us landing 18-22 in the AP and 15-19 in the coaches.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Here's the Sporting News projected beginning ranking for us next year:

15. Oklahoma State
The Cowboys are in their usual spot, but Mike Gundy should have another productive offense around quarterback Spencer Sanders, who closed the season strong in the Cheez-It Bowl. Offensive lineman Josh Sills returns, and the system has a knack for producing fresh skill-position talent. Oklahoma State made improvements on defense in 2020, and that will need to continue to keep pace with Oklahoma, Texas and Iowa State. The Cowboys were 1-2 against those teams last season.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid

15. Oklahoma State
The Cowboys are in their usual spot, but Mike Gundy should have another productive offense around quarterback Spencer Sanders, who closed the season strong in the Cheez-It Bowl. Offensive lineman Josh Sills returns, and the system has a knack for producing fresh skill-position talent. Oklahoma State made improvements on defense in 2020, and that will need to continue to keep pace with Oklahoma, Texas and Iowa State. The Cowboys were 1-2 against those teams last season.

Oct 30, 2007

15. Oklahoma State
That seems really high to me. We finished ranked lower than that this season, and we lost Hubbard, Wallace, Jenkins, Williams, & KHP. IMO, next season will be really successful if we end it ranked as high as 15th.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

15. Oklahoma State
That seems really high to me. We finished ranked lower than that this season, and we lost Hubbard, Wallace, Jenkins, Williams, & KHP. IMO, next season will be really successful if we end it ranked as high as 15th.
Finishing 9-3 (10-3) next year might be a long putt. On the road in Ames and Austin is tough. Of course OU anywhere next year ain’t gonna be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
Finishing 9-3 (10-3) next year might be a long putt. On the road in Ames and Austin is tough. Of course OU anywhere next year ain’t gonna be fun.
I think that 9-3 would be a really successful season next year considering all that we've lost. We'll probably be favored to lose against OU, Texas, and Iowa State, and we'll also have to show up ready to play against West Virginia, K-State, TCU, & Boise State.

I would set the over/under at 8 for regular season wins next year.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

15. Oklahoma State
Even though they have us ranked 15 they have 3 Big 12 teams ranked ahead of us. You can’t logically finish 4th in the conference and wind up in the Top 15

Ironically, ESPN has us unranked in their early 2021 rankings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalki

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Even though they have us ranked 15 they have 3 Big 12 teams ranked ahead of us. You can’t logically finish 4th in the conference and wind up in the Top 15

Ironically, ESPN has us unranked in their early 2021 rankings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalki
Well correct and incorrect. You’re correct in that it is highly unlikely that 4 Big 12 teams finish in the top 15. Unless I read it wrong, that has not happened since 2002 with 12 teams and split divisions.

However preseason rankings are not a projection of where teams will finish, just where they begin. You rank the teams from best to worst based on previous year and who they have coming back/in.

Oct 30, 2007
Here's a summary of where the preseason polls have us ranked:
Sporting News: 15th
Brett McMurphy: 18th
Athlon: 21st
247: 23rd
ESPN: Unranked
Bleachers Report: Unranked

We'll probably see a wide range of preseason rankings next year since we've lost so many players and people won't know what to expect.

On a side note, TCU & West Virginia were ranked in some polls as well. The Big 12 should be pretty good next year.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

We'll probably see a wide range of preseason rankings next year since we've lost so many players and people won't know what to expect.

On a side note, TCU & West Virginia were ranked in some polls as well. The Big 12 should be pretty good next year.
FWIW - They'll all probably change before next fall

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa

I agree the Big12 is going to be loaded next year. I think OU is going to be a monster and a strong favorite. I think OSU, WVU, TCU, ISU, UT and maybe KSU will all be in the mix to make the CCG. I have a feeling its going to be one of those really fun, but really frustrating seasons for all of those teams. I think they will all lose a game or two that they feel they could have / should have won.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I agree the Big12 is going to be loaded next year. I think OU is going to be a monster and a strong favorite. I think OSU, WVU, TCU, ISU, UT and maybe KSU will all be in the mix to make the CCG. I have a feeling its going to be one of those really fun, but really frustrating seasons for all of those teams. I think they will all lose a game or two that they feel they could have / should have won.
I honestly just hope we can play with full crowds and get back to tailgating and visiting campus again. We are all so tired and need this covid done.

Nov 6, 2010
Not sure what you saw from Kstate that makes you think they will be there, but I think any given year you could put all the rest of your list in a hat and any of them would have equal chances to make it. Although I have to think Iowa State with what they have coming back next year would be the favorite of that group.