Favorite Beers

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I have had some of the finest monk Belgians and the finest American Belgian dubbels. Choc dubbels is at the the top of the list 8.5 abv great smell great
Tasting dubbels. I have had the holy grail of dubbels westelevern. In my opinion. This oklahoma beer hit all the marks and inmo is as good if not better than the west you brick I got a couple years ago.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pokes28

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 26, 2003
Carl Junction, MO
facebook.com
I have had some of the finest monk Belgians and the finest American Belgian dubbels. Choose dubbels is at the the top of the list 8.5 abv great smell great
Tasting dubbels. I have had the holy grail of dubbels westelevern. In my opinion. This oklahoma beer hit all the marks and inmo is as good if not better than the west you brick I got a couple years ago.
I'm jealous that you got to try the Westy 8. Did you get it in Belgium or was it on their import fund raiser? I still have about a case of Westy 12 from my trip a couple years ago. Still among the very best beers I've ever had. There is a good reason it was #1 on all the beer rating sites for years. Their import into the US to raise money for the monastery was a bit of a disaster. They pumped up production to meet deadlines (AKA lowering quality) and then the beer was shipped over on a boat instead of air flighted over. So it got hot and cold many times before hitting the US. While it was still good, it isn't the same as getting it at the brewery.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I'm jealous that you got to try the Westy 8. Did you get it in Belgium or was it on their import fund raiser? I still have about a case of Westy 12 from my trip a couple years ago. Still among the very best beers I've ever had. There is a good reason it was #1 on all the beer rating sites for years. Their import into the US to raise money for the monastery was a bit of a disaster. They pumped up production to meet deadlines (AKA lowering quality) and then the beer was shipped over on a boat instead of air flighted over. So it got hot and cold many times before hitting the US. While it was still good, it isn't the same as getting it at the brewery.
I traded for them (ALOT). I missed out on the fundraiser bricks in 12. I love me some dubbels. I had unibroue's quad. I think that would be close to westy 12. I know the abt 12 is a copy of westy. the uniboue I feel is better than the abt. ABT's dubbel is no comparison to westy's, even though its a supposed copy. If you look a page back, I did get some west malle ordered. I have since found it at the liquor store off broadway in Edmond. Just N of Humble pie.

Last edited:

Pokes28

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 26, 2003
Carl Junction, MO
facebook.com
I've had Unibroue's quad. It is nice and smooth, but I still rate Westy over it. Maybe it is sentimentality or whatever, but out of all the quad's I've ever had, I put the Westy 12 at the top. I do find it odd though, I prefer doubles and quads over triples. For some reason, most triples have a bit of harshness to them that I don't find in the doubles and quads.

Going in a different direction, there isn't much better than sours from The Bruery. I don't much care for their non-sours, but I'd stack their sours up against any in the world.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
20160816_155341.jpg
i agree on the triples i did just pick up a trois pistoles that is starting chill, along with west malle dubbel, rochefort 6 (dubbel) and leffe blonde since its still summer. @Pokes28

Last edited:

ST2

Cowboy
Jul 9, 2012
My favorite time of year, as the various Oktoberfest beers are out. I've been sticking with the local beers lately, so I went with the COOP Oktoberfest the other day. Very good...

Anthem's Ogletoberfest is becoming another favorite of mine.

I'm open for other local beer suggestions, though.

Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
My favorite time of year, as the various Oktoberfest beers are out. I've been sticking with the local beers lately, so I went with the COOP Oktoberfest the other day. Very good...

Not local, but Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy is one of my very favorites. It is a seasonal release and not sure if it is currently available. It should be soon if it is not because I first drank it on game day in Stillwater a few years back.

Redhawk

Rollin' bones at the Texaco
A/V Subscriber
Dec 5, 2011
Eufaula

Choc (McAlester) has a pretty solid Oktoberfest. It is a little more local to southeastern Oklahoma but it's good.

ST2

Cowboy
Jul 9, 2012
Not local, but Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy is one of my very favorites. It is a seasonal release and not sure if it is currently available. It should be soon if it is not because I first drank it on game day in Stillwater a few years back.
I had some Orange Shandy a couple of years ago and have been on the lookout for it ever since. I have pretty well given up on finding it again, but I always keep an eye out for it.

Oct 30, 2012
Tried a few different beers for the first time 2 weekends ago.

1st- Atlas IPA by Marshall. Really good beer! Good flavor/color. Would definitely recommend trying it!

2- Warsteiner premium Pilsner. Another excellent beer I would recommend trying if you haven't already!

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
My favorite beer may be one I haven't had yet. Yuengling.

My last name Orwig leads me to have an interest in Orwigsburg PA. Yes I am a direct descendant. Just 8 miles from Orwigsburg is Yuengling, the oldest brewery in North America. I have learned a bit about the history which dates back to 1829 and is still family owned. Peter Orwig, the founder of Orwigsburg, had some business interactions with the original Yuengling.

I like a good Micro brew and I love the story, but it is impossible to get these within a 1000 miles of Oklahoma. If anyone from back east is making a road trip and would pick some up for me, please let me know.

ST2

Cowboy
Jul 9, 2012

My last name Orwig leads me to have an interest in Orwigsburg PA. Yes I am a direct descendant. Just 8 miles from Orwigsburg is Yuengling, the oldest brewery in North America. I have learned a bit about the history which dates back to 1829 and is still family owned. Peter Orwig, the founder of Orwigsburg, had some business interactions with the original Yuengling.

I like a good Micro brew and I love the story, but it is impossible to get these within a 1000 miles of Oklahoma. If anyone from back east is making a road trip and would pick some up for me, please let me know.

I was in Pittsburg several years back and had some Yuengling. Very good beer. I actually work with some guys that have been traveling to that part of the country for work and I told them about it. Now, every time they go, I get a text from them from some bar where, of course, they are letting me know how good the Yuengling is.

Aaargh.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
A/V Subscriber
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Untapped this weekend in Dallas was amazing, kreiks, IPAs, imperial stouts, quads, tripels, I loved COOP Cherry DNR.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.

I've had it. Good beer.
Interestingly, one of my beer enthusiast/home brewer buddies, was telling me about an article he read yesterday or today about the price of Yuengling declining due to the election. Can't remember the details or specifics, but he was jokingly suggesting that we could get a quality beer cheaper now.