Fat Guy's Big 12 Rankings after Week #4

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Fat Guy

Greenhorn
Aug 23, 2019
OKC
1. Oklahoma- Should blow out Tech this weekend; We'll see if their D gets tested

2. Texas- Lost a few DBs which could be bad at the Cotton Bowl,

3. Kansas State- BIG showdown in Stillwater Saturday, Run D isn't great, Offense is great on 3rd Downs

4. Oklahoma State- Ditto above; Chuba; LD and Spencer needs to run wild, D has to get off the field on 3rd down

5. Baylor- Big game in Waco Saturday vs Cyclones, hasn't been tested yet

6. Iowa State- Ditto above; Went crazy vs ULM; This is a statement game to prove where Iowa State is

7. TCU- Laid an egg against SMU, Defense not as good as thought, KU in Ft. Worth Saturday

8. West Virginia- Hard to read this team, Kendall is up and down; have ran the ball better the last 2 weeks

9. Texas Tech- Could be ugly in Norman Saturday, Bowman out and Duffey in at QB

10. Kansas- Showing signs of life, always seem to give TCU a hard time

Week 5 Big 12 Games:
Kansas State at Oklahoma State- This is always a fistfight and I do not expect any different this year. The Cowboys need to respond after the Texas loss and a well rested K-State team is who awaits.

Iowa State at Baylor- This game may determine who is a possible contender and who is a pretender.

Texas Tech at Oklahoma- I expect Oklahoma to win handily, but what will the score be? If Tech scores 24 or more, than I think it is more of the same old poor Oklahoma Defense.

Kansas at TCU- Kansas always gives TCU issues. It will be interesting to see how both teams rebound off of losses.

Other than the game result, the trip to Austin was a fun one. I went two years ago as well and the fans could not have been nicer either time. My wife and I sat in an all Texas fan section and had a great time. Austin is a definite road destination to go to.

The only road destination I'm lacking in the Big 12 is West Virginia. I hop to get there either this year or 2021.

tmcats

Wrangler
Feb 13, 2014
actually, as a k-state fan, i'd say our run defense is better than against the pass. k-state has a deep and seasoned set of d'linemen and three solid linebackers in its 4-2 rotation. the d'backs, on the other hand, are not as deep, one has been injured, and they are, for the most part, youngsters.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I expect to see vast improvement on the play calling this Saturday.
I don't know if Gundy was overturning the play calls or what, but running Chuba up into that Texas DLine over and over and over when it wasn't working was almost making me wanting Yurcich back. Ugh! It's like a recurring nightmare.

Now everyone will try to take Wallace out with a safety over the top and CB underneath. If that happens, we have to go to the left side or have the Cowboy back on the weak side head to the open area. That's a no-brainer that was missed against Texas.

Sanders did seem to lock in on his favorite targets and miss some open receivers not named Wallace or Stoner. Everyone is going to try to run that Texas D.

Which makes me think that if they're beating up our OLine again like in Austin, Hubbard has to get outside the tackles. Whatever it takes to get him in space with a one on one situation. We didn't adjust Hubbard to what Texas was giving us.

There is no reason to lose anymore games in the Big 12. By the time Bedlam rolls around we should be very confident with the talent we have. Our D and ou's D are not showing great strength right tow, but we're young all around.
I'm not impressed with Knowles ability to make this defense an asset yet.

But, it will be tough and probably decided by a FG late.

GO POKES!!

And screw you, ESPN.

Oct 30, 2007
I expect to see vast improvement on the play calling this Saturday.
I don't know if Gundy was overturning the play calls or what, but running Chuba up into that Texas DLine over and over and over when it wasn't working was almost making me wanting Yurcich back. Ugh! It's like a recurring nightmare.

Now everyone will try to take Wallace out with a safety over the top and CB underneath. If that happens, we have to go to the left side or have the Cowboy back on the weak side head to the open area. That's a no-brainer that was missed against Texas.

Sanders did seem to lock in on his favorite targets and miss some open receivers not named Wallace or Stoner. Everyone is going to try to run that Texas D.

Which makes me think that if they're beating up our OLine again like in Austin, Hubbard has to get outside the tackles. Whatever it takes to get him in space with a one on one situation. We didn't adjust Hubbard to what Texas was giving us.

There is no reason to lose anymore games in the Big 12. By the time Bedlam rolls around we should be very confident with the talent we have. Our D and ou's D are not showing great strength right tow, but we're young all around.
I'm not impressed with Knowles ability to make this defense an asset yet.

But, it will be tough and probably decided by a FG late.

GO POKES!!

And screw you, ESPN.
Coaches missed about 9 dozen no brainers against UT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
actually, as a k-state fan, i'd say our run defense is better than against the pass. k-state has a deep and seasoned set of d'linemen and three solid linebackers in its 4-2 rotation. the d'backs, on the other hand, are not as deep, one has been injured, and they are, for the most part, youngsters.
Completely agree. The run defense is aggressive and like to hit.

Oct 30, 2007
Completely agree. The run defense is aggressive and like to hit.
Unless they put 14 in the box we will be running it up the middle on every first down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
By the time Bedlam rolls around we should be very confident with the talent we have. Our D and ou's D are not showing great strength right tow, but we're young all around.
You’re high if you think OU’s defense isn’t showing great strength. You can’t compare the two right now. OU’s taking care of business on that side of the ball through week 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk