Fall Camp 2019 old thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Hard to argue, but I think maybe OL should be a little higher. I bet we have as many or more starts returning on our OL than any team in the league. That usually equates to good OL play.
I try to be optimistic but we haven't had a really good O line in a long time, I could move them ahead of the LB but that's as far as I would put them. I'm bought in 100% to Coach Dickey and I was a fan of all the guys Henson was bringing in. I think next year they could be the best in the Big 12 but this year I'm still skeptical.

Nov 6, 2010
Better coach too. Takes what he has and makes them better.
Yea, but that's probably offset by the change element. I just like that we have several seniors starting this year, along with some others that have starting experience. Maturity and experience at that position is huge, pun intended.

Nov 6, 2010
I try to be optimistic but we haven't had a really good O line in a long time, I could move them ahead of the LB but that's as far as I would put them. I'm bought in 100% to Coach Dickey and I was a fan of all the guys Henson was bringing in. I think next year they could be the best in the Big 12 but this year I'm still skeptical.
I actually like our LB's, I think D. Harper is going to be a stud this year, and I'm sure we'll find another to go along with him. I'm leaving Bundage out because I think he'll play as much DE as he does LB this year just because we're so thin at DE and deep at safety. I think you'll see him at the DE position on passing downs with Knowles bringing in another safety to fill the traditional LB spot in his 4-2-5. That would put a lot of defensive speed on the field and at the same time compensating for our lack of depth at DE/DT.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
No you come up with outrageous claims like "San Diego State would be a huge TV draw!" and then get butthurt when people tell you that you're probably not right... then you copy and paste some article from google to try and support your crazy opinion.
nope... you are flat out lying. that is not what was said to draw his "party comments", and I DID NOT SAY that SDSU would be a huge "TV Draw", I said it's a huge market (but you have no evidence that it would not be).

SDSU playing against OU, and against UT, would get a large number of So Cal TVs tuned in. SDSU versus KU, maybe not.

Just because you're not a fan of the school does not mean that others share your disdain. SDSU has a student base of 35,000 and 280,000 alumni. The So Cal TV market reaches about 20 million viewers. They play football in Qualcomm Stadium (where the Chargers played).

Just who do you think the San Diego market is tuning in to watch? The Trojans? UCLA? There is no Pro team. The draw is bigger than the entire market of Oklahoma, and their appeal is greater than that of Oklahoma State, whether you thinks so or not.

The Aztecs went 2-1 against Jimmy Johnson's OSU teams and lost by 3 to the good 1984 Pat Jones team.

Tell me again why that statement would be so outrageous, even though that was not what was being discussed when you butted in with your personal attacks.

The Fresno/Sacramento market is about 5 million too. (hint, bigger than the Tulsa market)

Nov 8, 2013
Hard to argue, but I think maybe OL should be a little higher. I bet we have as many or more starts returning on our OL than any team in the league. That usually equates to good OL play.
Interesting to rank the position units. Here's a fun variant - what would the ideal ranking of the position units be for a championship team? Conference championship and national championship?

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
nope... you are flat out lying. that is not what was said to draw his "party comments", and I DID NOT SAY that SDSU would be a huge "TV Draw", I said it's a huge market (but you have no evidence that it would not be).

SDSU playing against OU, and against UT, would get a large number of So Cal TVs tuned in. SDSU versus KU, maybe not.

Just because you're not a fan of the school does not mean that others share your disdain. SDSU has a student base of 35,000 and 280,000 alumni. The So Cal TV market reaches about 20 million viewers. They play football in Qualcomm Stadium (where the Chargers played).

Just who do you think the San Diego market is tuning in to watch? The Trojans? UCLA? There is no Pro team. The draw is bigger than the entire market of Oklahoma, and their appeal is greater than that of Oklahoma State, whether you thinks so or not.

The Aztecs went 2-1 against Jimmy Johnson's OSU teams and lost by 3 to the good 1984 Pat Jones team.

Tell me again why that statement would be so outrageous, even though that was not what was being discussed when you butted in with your personal attacks.

The Fresno/Sacramento market is about 5 million too. (hint, bigger than the Tulsa market)
They all must be home watching because they sure aren’t going to games.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...season-ticket-sales-0223-story.html?_amp=true

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee

The markets are large, but people in California simply don’t care about college sports the way they do in the South. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but having large markets in California does not directly translate to viewers.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
Interesting to rank the position units. Here's a fun variant - what would the ideal ranking of the position units be for a championship team? Conference championship and national championship?
Good question... I think winning the trenches and having good QB play is the conventional recipe...

1. OL
2. DL
3. QB
4. DB
5. RB

Controlling the LOS wins you so many games and couple that with a QB who doesn't make mistakes... seems like a good combination.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
They all must be home watching because they sure aren’t going to games.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...season-ticket-sales-0223-story.html?_amp=true
that link has nothing to do with my statements, and is intentionally NOT including projections about increased interest if participating in a more prestige conference.

I get it, you don't like San Diego nor SDSU, and prefer markets and competition like Memphis and Houston.

I get it, you don't like having better access to the CA recruits (like we've recently gotten).

I get it, you don't like OSU to have success. I get it.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
that link has nothing to do with my statements, and is intentionally NOT including projections about increased interest if participating in a more prestige conference.

I get it, you don't like San Diego nor SDSU, and prefer markets and competition like Memphis and Houston.

I get it, you don't like having better access to the CA recruits (like we've recently gotten).

Houston (East Texas) puts out more athletes that we have a chance of getting than SD. I really wish you guys would quit derailing this thread. (as I contribute to the derailing of this thread.)

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
I thought it would take till the second series on offense and first series on D before people started ripping each other or the coaches. Guess I was setting the bar a lil' too high. <sigh>

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009

What projections? They can’t keep a pro team there, what does that tell you? They don’t go to the SDSU games, what does that tell you?
Surely not that OU and UT are going to put San Diego on the football map.

Basically a giant market with little interest in football. I get that you want to have OSU football in California but, this idea of adding SDSU is absurd.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
What projections? They can’t keep a pro team there, what does that tell you? They don’t go to the SDSU games, what does that tell you?
Surely not that OU and UT are going to put San Diego on the football map.

Basically a giant market with little interest in football. I get that you want to have OSU football in California but, this idea of adding SDSU is absurd.
I think you are flat out wrong on every statement that you made... and how is ISU, KSU, OSU or even KU better than having a SDSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.