Fall Camp 2019 old thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
Exactly why I normally do not post in these types of discussions. I do not know. He is already 40 lbs. heavier than his brother when he was recruited. He played in a pissant town. There were a lot of DEs available and evaluators thought others were better. Who knows, but if signs are right, he could be in the mix for early PT.
Pissant town my ass! Germanfest happens there every year! Who doesn't love beer!

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
The thing is.... outside of the transfers, the reason they don't have many starts is because the guys that played last year were better than them.

\.
good lord.... and CornDog was better than our QBs this year, so now we are doomed. And Hill was better than Hubbard, so now we are doomed. And the 5-star WR left... what ever are we going to do?

of course the next guy has to step up, that's how it works every season.

We had enough talent last year that we were able to redshirt some kids, including the JUCO kid. One kid played through injury, and he's healthy now (Evers, I think).

We shall see what we shall see. Maybe some will step it up, maybe they will just get it done as a collective unit, maybe they won't.

I think we're okay on the DLine... we're fixing to find out.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
good lord.... and CornDog was better than our QBs this year, so now we are doomed. And Hill was better than Hubbard, so now we are doomed. And the 5-star WR left... what ever are we going to do?

We had enough talent last year that we were able to redshirt some kids, including the JUCO kid. One kid played through injury, and he's healthy now (Evers, I think).

We shall see what we shall see. Maybe some will step it up, maybe they will just get it done as a collective unit, maybe they won't.

I think we're okay on the DLine... we're fixing to find out.
Good apples and orange comparison. I'm willing to bet you're a blast at parties...people probably enjoy watching you argue with yourself.

Defense is never as plug-n-play as offense is... and yes, Corndog was the best option last year.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
This. The old argument of "kids that were on the bench last year will be starters this year, therefore we won't be as good" makes no sense. By that logic every football team on the planet is in constant decline.

Defense is never as plug-n-play as offense is...
Interesting. I would have thought the opposite. Obviously you need a lot of natural ability to play football at this level, but in my experience with other sports so much of playing defense is about positioning, understanding the flow of the game, recognizing situations, etc. And in football, a lot of it is speed and strength. Those are all things (maybe not speed) that can be improved with time in the program. For offensive players, OTOH, it seems like it would be tough to teach things like hands, vision, moves, etc.

<------ [not a football player]

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
This. The old argument of "kids that were on the bench last year will be starters this year, therefore we won't be as good" makes no sense. By that logic every football team on the planet is in constant decline.

Interesting. I would have thought the opposite. Obviously you need a lot of natural ability to play football at this level, but in my experience with other sports so much of playing defense is about positioning, understanding the flow of the game, recognizing situations, etc. And in football, a lot of it is speed and strength. Those are all things (maybe not speed) that can be improved with time in the program. For offensive players, OTOH, it seems like it would be tough to teach things like hands, vision, moves, etc.

<------ [not a football player]
Positioning is huge on the offensive side of the ball as well. It's why people made such a huge deal about Leach's super wide OL splits when he was at Texas Tech. It's why today's NFL looks for great route runners more than they look for anything else. Those other things are important and, for the most part, not particularly teachable, but what you can control is timing and execution... so coaches that excel in teaching and practicing these things are the coaches that will be in super high demand moving forward. It's why I'm really glad about Gleeson... and, frankly, Knowles.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Defense is never as plug-n-play as offense is...
When it comes to the defense the only thing I have to go on, because I'm not a football player just a band nerd, is many years ago I heard Robert Allen say that their best bet was to be several years ahead in scholarships. In that they could bring somebody in as a freshman they could redshirt and potentially spend one to two more years not playing and then be put into the defense as either a redshirt sophomore or a redshirt Junior.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Good apples and orange comparison. I'm willing to bet you're a blast at parties...people probably enjoy watching you argue with yourself.

Defense is never as plug-n-play as offense is... and yes, Corndog was the best option last year.
remind me not to attend any parties with you - I don't want to be told by you which corner I'm supposed to stand in.

for gosh sakes.... you really don't have to make it personal. If you don't agree.. just say why. What in the heck is the matter with you people that you have to make personal derogatory comments every time?

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
remind me not to attend any parties with you - I don't want to be told by you which corner I'm supposed to stand in.

for gosh sakes.... you really don't have to make it personal. If you don't agree.. just say why. What in the heck is the matter with you people that you have to make personal derogatory comments every time?
I guess I'm struggling to understand what was personal about saying what is exactly true... you do argue, with everyone! And I'll ignore the double standard in regards to your "personal attack".

So back to football.

The defensive line is the least experienced unit we have this year and it's not because the current players won't or can't be good... it's that they weren't better than what was playing last year (or weren't in the program). Defensive players, specifically in the trenches almost always take longer to develop.

I'd rank our areas of strength on both sides in this order...
1. WR
2. OL
3. RB
4. DB
5. CW
6. QB
7. LB
8. K/P/ST
9. DT
10. DE

I think 3 and 4 could be argued either way and 5 and 6 could be argued either way... with the potential of 6 moving to 4.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I guess I'm struggling to understand what was personal about saying what is exactly true... you do argue, with everyone! And I'll ignore the double standard in regards to your "personal attack".

So back to football.

The defensive line is the least experienced unit we have this year and it's not because the current players won't or can't be good... it's that they weren't better than what was playing last year (or weren't in the program). Defensive players, specifically in the trenches almost always take longer to develop.

1. WR
2. OL
3. RB
4. DB
5. CW
6. QB
7. LB
8. K/P/ST
9. DT
10. DE

I think 3 and 4 could be argued either way and 5 and 6 could be argued either way... with the potential of 6 moving to 4.
Interesting you should start a new thread with this, I would rank them:
1. WR
2. DB
3. RB
4. LB
5. OL
6. CW
7. DE
8. QB
9. DT
10.ST

Nov 6, 2010
Interesting you should start a new thread with this, I would rank them:
1. WR
2. DB
3. RB
4. LB
5. OL
6. CW
7. DE
8. QB
9. DT
10.ST
Hard to argue, but I think maybe OL should be a little higher. I bet we have as many or more starts returning on our OL than any team in the league. That usually equates to good OL play.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal

So back to football.

1. WR
2. OL
3. RB
4. DB
5. CW
6. QB
7. LB
8. K/P/ST
9. DT
10. DE

no I don't, that is your opinion. And it's wrong. And rude.

there are a few jerks on here that like to argue with me.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
no I don't, that is your opinion. And it's wrong. And rude.

there are a few jerks on here that like to argue with me.
No you come up with outrageous claims like "San Diego State would be a huge TV draw!" and then get butthurt when people tell you that you're probably not right... then you copy and paste some article from google to try and support your crazy opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.