Fall Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
D1 just wrote their review of Vandy. A good read for those trying to size up the Cowboys based on last weekend.

https://d1baseball.com/fall-report/fall-report-vanderbilt-4/

Below is a direct quote.

From top to bottom, no team in college baseball has as much talent as Vanderbilt, which is loaded with premium underclassmen but also has an uncommon senior leadership core.

Sep 2, 2016
Stillwater
Hey everyone, I’m new to this so the chances of me asking some questions that are already answered are pretty high. First off, who are some guys that we should watch for this year to really have breakout seasons? Secondly, how does this team look overall and how do we feel about our chances to make the CWS?

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Hey everyone, I’m new to this so the chances of me asking some questions that are already answered are pretty high. First off, who are some guys that we should watch for this year to really have breakout seasons? Secondly, how does this team look overall and how do we feel about our chances to make the CWS?

@Matt_bob123 , add this guy to the list that thinks we should have a Cowboy Baseball Podcast!!!

@OP, most of your answers are right here already discussed in this thread. Welcome aboard! We need more loyal Cowboy Baseball die hards on here!

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
I just saw Cody Milligan signed to play at Southern Miss next fall. Hasn’t even played a game at Cowley County and he’s already signed with them.
Just another example of how much these guys have to bounce around some times. 11.7 schollies for an entire baseball roster is completely insane.....

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
Anyone hear where Cameron Dobbs wound up? Watched him play in High School and he could hit. Batted over .450. Then he gets to Big Time College Baseball and hits well under .200. I had hopes he’d be a good one. Makes you realize how difficult Hitting is at the D1 level.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
Anyone hear where Cameron Dobbs wound up? Watched him play in High School and he could hit. Batted over .450. Then he gets to Big Time College Baseball and hits well under .200. I had hopes he’d be a good one. Makes you realize how difficult Hitting is at the D1 level.
Update on Cameron Dobbs. He will be playing at UT Arlington this year. Wish him the best of luck!

OColly reporting that Neustifter is transferring as well.

Not going to lie, that's a bit troubling.

It kind of seems that it would be one of two things. Either there was something wrong and he decided to leave, or Jake Northern/Alix Garcia are mashing and he was looking at losing playing time.

What's your take @Matt_bob123 ? How does the hot corner look for us now?

I wonder if the coaching staff saw this coming a little, and that's why Funk was getting some work at 3rd? Of course, my hope is that Northern is just that good, and maybe Neustifter is just looking for a place where he'll get every start.

Either way, we're going to miss his bat and steady D.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee

It kind of seems that it would be one of two things. Either there was something wrong and he decided to leave, or Jake Northern/Alix Garcia are mashing and he was looking at losing playing time.

I wonder if the coaching staff saw this coming a little, and that's why Funk was getting some work at 3rd? Of course, my hope is that Northern is just that good, and maybe Neustifter is just looking for a place where he'll get every start.

Great questions. I was also hoping that this is indicative of what we have coming in.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas

A Jr who hit as well as he did last year isn’t transferring because he’s afraid of some freshmen taking his playing time IMO. There’s gotta be more to this and I’m not liking the trend of these kids transferring out. Especially with us getting a new stadium. I hope there’s not something deeper here.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
A Jr who hit as well as he did last year isn’t transferring because he’s afraid of some freshmen taking his playing time IMO. There’s gotta be more to this and I’m not liking the trend of these kids transferring out. Especially with us getting a new stadium. I hope there’s not something deeper here.

Jake Northern and Alix Garcia are not freshmen, and they both are very good hitters. Look up the numbers. I'm not saying they both will have monster years for sure, but don't play them off as no name freshmen. The other players who transferred were extremely unproven at the D1 level, so let's not act like Stone, Taylor, and Boone are leaving. This is the first time I can remember a solid starter transferring out under Holliday. But still, this stuff happens at every single D1 baseball program. I wouldn't read too much into it, unless there are a few other surprising transfers soon (I wouldn't count Desimone & Milligan as surprises at all).

And, regarding the new stadium, we have 2 monster recruiting classes coming in for the next 2 years. We're already seeing the benefits.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
Jake Northern and Alix Garcia are not freshmen, and they both are very good hitters. Look up the numbers. I'm not saying they both will have monster years for sure, but don't play them off as no name freshmen. The other players who transferred were extremely unproven at the D1 level, so let's not act like Stone, Taylor, and Boone are leaving. This is the first time I can remember a solid starter transferring out under Holliday. But still, this stuff happens at every single D1 baseball program. I wouldn't read too much into it, unless there are a few other surprising transfers soon (I wouldn't count Desimone & Milligan as surprises at all).
I hear you. I was just pointing out that MN was statistically one of our top hitters last year. I don’t see him leaving because he thought he was gonna get passed by some of these new kids. As weak as we’ve been offensively at times over the last couple of years we need to be ADDING to kids like him not REPLACING kids like him. Besides, he seemed to be one of Joshs go to guys as he was given a lot of opportunities when he struggled. I’ve been following College Baseball long enough to know College kids are transferring all the time but it’s usually because they aren’t getting playing time which never applied to Neus. I didn’t mind some of the kids who weren’t helping us but he was.