Fall Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
What are your thoughts after seeing the team against someone else
Short answer: we aren’t Vandy, whose a Super team from last year that added a top 5 recruiting class. But it’s also just a scrimmage, for example, Gragg, Jensen & others could have thrown more quality innings. We were without Joe and Parker still which definitely affects the rotation and bullpen set ups.

Sunday we had some mental and defensive errors that are inexcusable at this point in the fall, but they didn’t happen on Saturday or earlier so I’ll just call it a bad day.

Hitters will need to find a way to score runs, but we also live a bit by the home run and Vandys Park is set up to take that away from right handed hitters, especially in colder air. Allie P will fly better than some of the outs we had.

The positives are that in Game 1 of 9 innings you limited a top team to 1 run scored. Bullpen gave up more through the weekend but the potential starters all showed signs of positive momentum for them. The team has some defined roles developing and we are in October almost having figured out our lineup and depth. The bad news for that maybe that young guys transfer to get playing time. I think one may have done that already, but we will see if they were just injured or not.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
I asked Aaron Fitt of D1 baseball his thoughts cause was there for most of the weekend and he said he feels like that we are a top 10 to top 15 team would you agree.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
I asked Aaron Fitt of D1 baseball his thoughts cause was there for most of the weekend and he said he feels like that we are a top 10 to top 15 team would you agree.
He knows college baseball much better than me but based on what he saw this weekend from us I don’t know how he could say that. Save for a couple of guys (Boone and McCusker) we didn’t really hit at all. Vandy pitching is really good but there were a lot of fly ball swings going on from our side. Guys like Gardner and Hewitt making fly ball outs every time they are up there just doesn’t make sense. It is still fall so let’s see how the spring shakes out. I’ll be there cheering them on no matter what. It was just nice to listen to a little Cowboy baseball!

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
He knows college baseball much better than me but based on what he saw this weekend from us I don’t know how he could say that. Save for a couple of guys (Boone and McCusker) we didn’t really hit at all. Vandy pitching is really good but there were a lot of fly ball swings going on from our side. Guys like Gardner and Hewitt making fly ball outs every time they are up there just doesn’t make sense. It is still fall so let’s see how the spring shakes out. I’ll be there cheering them on no matter what. It was just nice to listen to a little Cowboy baseball!
I was however encouraged by some of our pitching and that was without 2 of our expected big innings guys Stone and Parker

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Didn't Stone pitch on day 2?
Yes Stone did throw and has looked good all fall. I assume he means Joe

I think that’s fair. Fitt is going to say that in part, because we were one of his teams to watch for Omaha after last season. So there will be some confirmation bias and desire to talk up your previous assessments to get followers.

But top16 is a team expected to be in a Super. Let’s get honest, our expectations as spoiled fans is Omaha. The teams that we always discuss from the Frank era, it’s the teams that should have been to Omaha and the team remembered from the Josh era, is the Omaha team. Last year was year 2 of our rebuilding and we were ahead of schedule, but we were disappointed we weren’t further in the post season.

If last year, we had continued to play like we did in Bedlam, after the Bedlam series, we would have been Big12 champs and at least a regional host. This team should be better than last year, in spite of what we lost.

But because Omaha is the expectations, let’s compare them to that team. We got to Omaha on the back of our pitching and defense. The hitters got hot in the post season, but that wasn’t a great hitting team.

Defensively, we don’t have Donnie and JR up the middle, but outside of that, we compare favorably. Boone has every bit the speed and range Sluder did in center.

Pitching, everyone remembers the top end guys like Hatch, but that whole bullpen got drafted. This team has more top guys, but the back end of the bullpen hasn’t shown a consistency to throw strikes, if you get improvement from guys like Basso, CJ, etc then you have a legit staff.

Hitting wise, we will be streaky, but on the whole, it should be better than the Omaha team. We don’t have a lot of holes in the lineup. I mean our potential lineup is:

Huey
Navi
Tank
Boone
Carter
Nuestifter
Funk
McCusker
Cabbiness

Cabbiness struggles as a sophomore, but he hit better as a frosh and hopefully returns to that level. That’s a dangerous lineup, 2-8 have home run power, there’s speed throughout, and some good bats in the middle of the lineup (especially if Bryce Carter consistently hits, if he doesn’t, then you get another Colin Thereoux, who was tremendous for us behind the plate).

So with that, I’m comfortable with us as a top16. Will we be in Omaha? I can hope, but we don’t know. There’s too much luck, timing & matchups to know that. Every year, a nonTop25 will make Omaha, because it’s not the best 8 teams. I can say we aren’t top5, where it’s a disappointment if we didn’t make Omaha.

The big12 schedule this year is harder with road trips to Tech and TCU, but we should compete for the big12 title. Win a title and you should host... after that, it’s about being hotter than the team you are facing. The thing that gives me hope that it might happen is that the leadership on this team is outstanding. You have personalities, quiet leaders, vocal leaders, but they so far are all gelling together quite well. This could be a special team as far as playing as a team.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Question for everyone:

@Knuckleball and I have occasionally discussed doing a small weekly podcast or something about OSU baseball, is there any interest for something like that? (No one follows Cowboy Baseball recruiting more than him). He doesn’t post often, but he knows his stuff.

Obviously, I know there’s a general dearth of O.S. coverage year round and a lot of people come here for that info, but are we talking about 5 or 200 people? We don’t know if the 5 active posters is the market or if there’s 200 quiet lurkers that would regularly listen? Thoughts? A head count of likes from the quiet crowd would be nice....

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Question for everyone:

@Knuckleball and I have occasionally discussed doing a small weekly podcast or something about OSU baseball, is there any interest for something like that? (No one follows Cowboy Baseball recruiting more than him). He doesn’t post often, but he knows his stuff.

Obviously, I know there’s a general dearth of O.S. coverage year round and a lot of people come here for that info, but are we talking about 5 or 200 people? We don’t know if the 5 active posters is the market or if there’s 200 quiet lurkers that would regularly listen? Thoughts? A head count of likes from the quiet crowd would be nice....

PLEASE YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be amazing, and it would help promote our program. I think there are still plenty of OSU fans who don't know what they're missing by not following the Cowboy Baseball program closely.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
Question for everyone:

I agree

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
Baseball schedule releases today 3 games with Iowa in Stillwater. 3 games in the dodgertown classic usc,UCLA, Michigan. And a 3 game series with the defending national champs in Corvallis, OR

Sep 29, 2015
Omaha
Question for everyone:

Definitely yes!!

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Question for everyone:

Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Question for everyone:

that would be great! i'd definitely listen!