Fall Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
You know my thoughts on fall ball so I won’t repeat them. In terms of the pub side
It’s a double edge sword and it probably takes more time than many might think. I would also argue that Ok St has more dedicated (and more knowledgeable) fans than most, that’s also a double edge sword as those fans can be as frustrating as a dogs hind leg is crooked.
If you put out something on twitter then you’re going to get the inevitable follow up questions or comments. XX is showing up today, sounds great, seems reasonable, then through 3 games XX is hit less and those fans (just back and read some of what’s been posted here over the years) start with the fall doesn’t mean anything and likely much worse (which ftmp it doesn’t) or they tweet out about a couple of arms and everyone starts questioning what about the other guys we heard so much about, now the coach or whoever either ignores the questions or worse, starts answering them. My $0.02, it’s worth less than that, most schools, MSU and a few others being exceptions to the rule, are trying to promote a product that by and large doesn’t sell on campus a lot and I mean a lot of schools would be happy to get 10 students/ fans to a fall practice, I don’t think JH & staff need to do that. I would agree that posting a, tentative, practice schedule for the crazies (of which I count you among :D) would be easy and worth it I also, selfishly, like the idea of youtube for the real scrimmages, I really don’t know if anything more, especially every practice, is necessary or adds any value.
All good points.

I agree that what happens in the fall can't be taken with much more than a grain of salt, but I do think that it gives folks an opportunity to get/stay excited about baseball and to feel closer to the program. That can only be a good thing, IMO.

Oct 6, 2012
I'm hoping to hear some first hand reports as well. I'm going to try and make it up sometime before the close of practices in October.

IMO, we should be very good on the pitching front. Elliott and Stone both had good summers on the Cape and Standlee was good in California. Every finger and toe crossed that guys can stay healthy. That should take some pressure off the offense and give it time to gel.

I threw out some stats during one of the fan meltdowns last season - that Josh's teams have averaged approximately 6 runs/game every year. Obviously, some years that's been prettier than others, but the final tally has been almost the same every year. The major difference the last two years has been an ERA that's 2+ runs/game higher than every other year under Walton. If this year's staff gets back to the 3-3.5 ERA that Walton's staffs have typically given up, we should be in really good shape.
I'm very excited about the pitching staff. Hopefully we get some healthy arms back (and legs) and Rob gets some of the new guys in the fold. Am I crazy for thinking that this could be our best pitching staff of the JH/RW tenure? The CWS rotation was hard to beat and had some great arms in the bullpen. Hopefully the pen develops this year as well.

I am also excited to see the recruiting pick up when we finish the stadium. That stadium will give our coaches such a recruiting advantage versus what they've been working with. The future is bright for Cowboy Baseball!!!

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
I'm very excited about the pitching staff. Hopefully we get some healthy arms back (and legs) and Rob gets some of the new guys in the fold. Am I crazy for thinking that this could be our best pitching staff of the JH/RW tenure? The CWS rotation was hard to beat and had some great arms in the bullpen. Hopefully the pen develops this year as well.

I am also excited to see the recruiting pick up when we finish the stadium. That stadium will give our coaches such a recruiting advantage versus what they've been working with. The future is bright for Cowboy Baseball!!!
Regarding the second paragraph, I think we're already seeing signs of that. The 2019 class promises to be a top 10-ish class, especially if all end up on campus. And the 2020 class is looking good as well. But I suspect you're right that once the stadium is more than sketches on paper, it could pick up even more.

As for the pitching, the 2016 staff turned out to be really good, not just in the starting three but in the pen as well. That's a high ceiling to meet, although the arms are there. But like I showed in those numbers, it doesn't take an all-world staff to give us a chance to be really good as long as the offense keeps up its usual pace. Hopefully everyone can stay healthy and the Wizard can have a full deck to work with for the first time in what seems like forever.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Regarding the second paragraph, I think we're already seeing signs of that. The 2019 class promises to be a top 10-ish class, especially if all end up on campus. And the 2020 class is looking good as well. But I suspect you're right that once the stadium is more than sketches on paper, it could pick up even more.

As for the pitching, the 2016 staff turned out to be really good, not just in the starting three but in the pen as well. That's a high ceiling to meet, although the arms are there. But like I showed in those numbers, it doesn't take an all-world staff to give us a chance to be really good as long as the offense keeps up its usual pace. Hopefully everyone can stay healthy and the Wizard can have a full deck to work with for the first time in what seems like forever.
It is starting to become more than sketches now. It is starting to get exciting.

Dec 21, 2008
I am ready to get back to the small ball baseball. Not a big fan of hitters hitting 5-10 HRs with a .175 avg. HRs became contagious last yr and we had big athletic guys with looping swings. I enjoy the hit and runs, bunt them over, base hit RBI type of at bats! Old school small ball.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
I attended 2 scrimmages last weekend and figure to see some more this week. I’ll reserve making any comments, because it’s like the second week of practice. So there’s no way to know whether something is a one off thing or a development. Fall is the time for the coaches to experiment and get a feel for the team.

You hate to think a guy struggles at the plate when he had a bad day, but consistently hits on other days. I hate when people make broad proclamations in spring football based on one practice. So I won’t do it.

The areas that I am watching are the middle infield battle, pitching, and whose hitting.

As far as newcomers that I have noticed, Bryce Carter and Huey Morrill come to mind. I didn’t get to see Gragg throw, but the whispers are positive. Northern and Provost seemed to be utility guys that could get looks at several positions.
Quick question what do you think ends up happening on the middle infield.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
In the video that OSU just released, you can see Gragg on the mound. He was 90-94 yesterday and the rumors were that he was hitting 94 the week before too. He should have a role on the mound this season.

Nov 14, 2010
Bryce Carter is legit and is the catcher we've needed.

Navigato will find a role

Hewitt looks great

Boone has the potential to be the best player in the country.

Neudtifter can flat hit

Left to right
McCusker
Boone
Cabbiness

3rd to first
Neustifter
Hewitt
Navigato
Funk/Simpson/Taylor

DH see 1st base

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
Bryce Carter is legit and is the catcher we've needed.

Navigato will find a role

Hewitt looks great

Boone has the potential to be the best player in the country.

Neudtifter can flat hit

Left to right
McCusker
Boone
Cabbiness

3rd to first
Neustifter
Hewitt
Navigato
Funk/Simpson/Taylor

DH see 1st base
Have you been at practice or scrimmages, how has gragg looked and any other pitchers stand out. Is Parker Scott back yet.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Having seen another week of scrimmages, I feel a little more comfortable discussing the positions.

Catcher: I don't think we have ever had this kind of depth at the position. Tank returns, but I anticipate, he will spend more of his time in LF. That's where he spent all summer in the Cape playing for TH and where he is most projectible at the next level. He'll still catch some, but this is a sign of the depth. We can keep him in the lineup without affecting the quality of the team. Bryce Carter, Stanford graduate transfer, is a great get. If he can consistently hit, he'll be in line for Big12 awards. He struggled with a .172 average at Stanford last season, but we have him hitting in the 3 hole in scrimmages and he has hit better than that in the fall. The thing that catches your eye in practice tho is that he is already a leader on the team. He's vocal on the field calling defenses during a play, he's alerting guys to the scouting report on a batter, so they know to be ready for a batter's speed (specifically Sifrit). He blocks the plate well, has been framing pitches well when some of our freshman struggle with control. Stanford obviously has book smarts, but he is showing high a baseball IQ as well. Teams that make it to Omaha have great catchers, he very well could be a Colin Theroux level leader. Additionally, Jake Taylor returns and should see lots of innings to keep Bryce fresh. Newcomer Josh Spiegel has been catching. Seems solid with a decent bat. Nice addition to this catching corp. Jake Northern bullpen catches, but I haven't seen him go in a scrimmage at that position yet.

1st: Funk returns and figures to start. Alix Garcia, JUCO addition is keeping Funk on his toes. He has a good glove and seems to be a decent bat. If Funk struggles at the plate or gets hurt, Garcia can step in.

3rd: Nuestifter returns and has become more comfortable as a leader and vocal contributor. Cross Factor, soph JUCO transfer, again is a solid addition. He's adjusting to D1, but he hit .374 at Cowley last year. Hopefully, he turns into another Benge addition. Nuestifter didn't bat the other day, but it seemed like just a minor injury hold out, nothing to worry about.

Middle infield: Huey Morrill, freshman has a ++ arm, (will pitch). After week 1 of his at SS, I can't help, but start in my head hyping him into the next Jordy, but Huey got hurt on Thursday this week. Leadoff potential bat, haven't seen any concerns with the glove to go with that arm. His injury opened the door for JUCO Navigato to move from 2nd to SS. And he has used that to make his case. Solid glove. Thursday he went yard, Friday he had a home run and a triple. Navi definitely is showing a bat that deserves to be in the lineup. I was hoping he was our second baseman, similar to a Tim Arakawa or JR level juco addition. If you have both newcomers in the lineup, you play Morrill at SS with the better arm. It's also given Dayton Provost a chance to get some time at Second. (Dayton has been a utility guy, between INF and OF this fall). Seems solid, but a step behind those two newcomers at middle infield, he may just need a few more innings. Freshman Gendron has also been utility infield and outfield. He looks good in BP. Seems like a redshirt candidate, but if he stays, I like his potential long term. Hewitt and Gardner also return. I feel like you know what you get with both of them. Hewitt has always reminded me of a Tom Emanski prototype defender, but he made some mental mistakes last season and struggled at the plate. Hopefully, he has had a chance to adjust and will be improved, but I look for the newcomers to win positions after weeks 2-3 of the season.

CF: Its the returners Boone and Sifrit. Sifrit has the speed, but Boone isn't too far behind. Boone has the bat, and the lead for playing time. If Boone gets hurt, you should be feel comfortable with Sifrit filling in.

Corner OF: Tank will compete at LF. When he's catching or DHing, then McCusker figures to play here. Cabbiness returns in RF with McCusker. Gendron, Northern and Provost have all seen time out there, but the lead goes to the veterans, but those three will be in line to take over after the veterans leave. Cabbiness is hurt, so he plays RF, but doesn't bat.

Scott and Lienhard (looks like wrist) are being held out so far with injuries. But Tanner Sparks is back throwing and looks good. The coaches were excited about him last season, before he got hurt. Standlee looks like the guy that last fall had me thinking that he could be a closer. So there's two additions from veterans. (Not to mention Stone and Jensen). Depending on Lienhard and Scott, we have a potential to be a great staff without the newcomers (obviously, you'd love to still have a Heasley, but that's why the Royals ponied it up). Leeper, CJ, Basso, Ruder, Burgess, Van Leeuwen, also return for depth. Huey looked good last week, with decent speed. Gragg adds a high end fast ball and looks to contribute a lot in meaningful innings. Given his spot in he weekend pitching looks, I would say the coaches expect a lot for him. The Freshman (Polk, Kelly, Krowka, Belden, Peterson) all seem to need a little more time to adjust to Big12 hitters. But I will say that Polk is a true athlete on the mound. Friday, a passed ball bounced about 8 feet from the plate on the third base side. Bryce couldn't find it. Polk ran over, slid, and put the tag on before the runner from third could score. I wish we had tape on that play, because it was impressive.

The best pitcher in camp is without a doubt - Cowboy legend Brenden McCurry. He's has to use MLB baseballs, but it will benefit our hitters to get destroyed by him in practice.

The thing that excites me about the team is the vocal leadership. Last year's team had silent leaders like Jon Littell. This team is vocal, and obvious. Bryce Carter is doing it on the field. In between innings you will see Jensen Elliot walk over to a freshman on the other team with a tip or kind word. In the dugout, you hear Tank, Boone, Neustifter calling out what the pitcher's pitch looks like and how to see it. They're also yelling at Lienhard behind the plate for advice on the pitcher's movement. They also seem to have embraced the newcomers, one example after Bryce scored Friday, Neustifter was doing the "tree" celebration in honor of Bryce's Stanford degree.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
Having seen another week of scrimmages, I feel a little more comfortable discussing the positions.

Catcher: I don't think we have ever had this kind of depth at the position. Tank returns, but I anticipate, he will spend more of his time in LF. That's where he spent all summer in the Cape playing for TH and where he is most projectible at the next level. He'll still catch some, but this is a sign of the depth. We can keep him in the lineup without affecting the quality of the team. Bryce Carter, Stanford graduate transfer, is a great get. If he can consistently hit, he'll be in line for Big12 awards. He struggled with a .172 average at Stanford last season, but we have him hitting in the 3 hole in scrimmages and he has hit better than that in the fall. The thing that catches your eye in practice tho is that he is already a leader on the team. He's vocal on the field calling defenses during a play, he's alerting guys to the scouting report on a batter, so they know to be ready for a batter's speed (specifically Sifrit). He blocks the plate well, has been framing pitches well when some of our freshman struggle with control. Stanford obviously has book smarts, but he is showing high a baseball IQ as well. Teams that make it to Omaha have great catchers, he very well could be a Colin Theroux level leader. Additionally, Jake Taylor returns and should see lots of innings to keep Bryce fresh. Newcomer Josh Spiegel has been catching. Seems solid with a decent bat. Nice addition to this catching corp. Jake Northern bullpen catches, but I haven't seen him go in a scrimmage at that position yet.

1st: Funk returns and figures to start. Alix Garcia, JUCO addition is keeping Funk on his toes. He has a good glove and seems to be a decent bat. If Funk struggles at the plate or gets hurt, Garcia can step in.

3rd: Nuestifter returns and has become more comfortable as a leader and vocal contributor. Cross Factor, soph JUCO transfer, again is a solid addition. He's adjusting to D1, but he hit .374 at Cowley last year. Hopefully, he turns into another Benge addition. Nuestifter didn't bat the other day, but it seemed like just a minor injury hold out, nothing to worry about.

Middle infield: Huey Morrill, freshman has a ++ arm, (will pitch). After week 1 of his at SS, I can't help, but start in my head hyping him into the next Jordy, but Huey got hurt on Thursday this week. Leadoff potential bat, haven't seen any concerns with the glove to go with that arm. His injury opened the door for JUCO Navigato to move from 2nd to SS. And he has used that to make his case. Solid glove. Thursday he went yard, Friday he had a home run and a triple. Navi definitely is showing a bat that deserves to be in the lineup. I was hoping he was our second baseman, similar to a Tim Arakawa or JR level juco addition. If you have both newcomers in the lineup, you play Morrill at SS with the better arm. It's also given Dayton Provost a chance to get some time at Second. (Dayton has been a utility guy, between INF and OF this fall). Seems solid, but a step behind those two newcomers at middle infield, he may just need a few more innings. Freshman Gendron has also been utility infield and outfield. He looks good in BP. Seems like a redshirt candidate, but if he stays, I like his potential long term. Hewitt and Gardner also return. I feel like you know what you get with both of them. Hewitt has always reminded me of a Tom Emanski prototype defender, but he made some mental mistakes last season and struggled at the plate. Hopefully, he has had a chance to adjust and will be improved, but I look for the newcomers to win positions after weeks 2-3 of the season.

CF: Its the returners Boone and Sifrit. Sifrit has the speed, but Boone isn't too far behind. Boone has the bat, and the lead for playing time. If Boone gets hurt, you should be feel comfortable with Sifrit filling in.

Corner OF: Tank will compete at LF. When he's catching or DHing, then McCusker figures to play here. Cabbiness returns in RF with McCusker. Gendron, Northern and Provost have all seen time out there, but the lead goes to the veterans, but those three will be in line to take over after the veterans leave. Cabbiness is hurt, so he plays RF, but doesn't bat.

Scott and Lienhard (looks like wrist) are being held out so far with injuries. But Tanner Sparks is back throwing and looks good. The coaches were excited about him last season, before he got hurt. Standlee looks like the guy that last fall had me thinking that he could be a closer. So there's two additions from veterans. (Not to mention Stone and Jensen). Depending on Lienhard and Scott, we have a potential to be a great staff without the newcomers (obviously, you'd love to still have a Heasley, but that's why the Royals ponied it up). Leeper, CJ, Basso, Ruder, Burgess, Van Leeuwen, also return for depth. Huey looked good last week, with decent speed. Gragg adds a high end fast ball and looks to contribute a lot in meaningful innings. Given his spot in he weekend pitching looks, I would say the coaches expect a lot for him. The Freshman (Polk, Kelly, Krowka, Belden, Peterson) all seem to need a little more time to adjust to Big12 hitters. But I will say that Polk is a true athlete on the mound. Friday, a passed ball bounced about 8 feet from the plate on the third base side. Bryce couldn't find it. Polk ran over, slid, and put the tag on before the runner from third could score. I wish we had tape on that play, because it was impressive.

The best pitcher in camp is without a doubt - Cowboy legend Brenden McCurry. He's has to use MLB baseballs, but it will benefit our hitters to get destroyed by him in practice.

The thing that excites me about the team is the vocal leadership. Last year's team had silent leaders like Jon Littell. This team is vocal, and obvious. Bryce Carter is doing it on the field. In between innings you will see Jensen Elliot walk over to a freshman on the other team with a tip or kind word. In the dugout, you hear Tank, Boone, Neustifter calling out what the pitcher's pitch looks like and how to see it. They're also yelling at Lienhard behind the plate for advice on the pitcher's movement. They also seem to have embraced the newcomers, one example after Bryce scored Friday, Neustifter was doing the "tree" celebration in honor of Bryce's Stanford degree.
Thank you MattBob123 for the info!

Oct 6, 2012

This is why we love you!!!

Mar 1, 2005
Enid, Oklahoma
Having seen another week of scrimmages, I feel a little more comfortable discussing the positions.....
I notice you didn't mention Battenfield when discussing the pitching staff. Is he still around? He struggled toward the end of the year, but there were times when he was flat awesome in Big 12 play.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
I notice you didn't mention Battenfield when discussing the pitching staff. Is he still around? He struggled toward the end of the year, but there were times when he was flat awesome in Big 12 play.
Yes, sorry. He’ll be a big factor in the pitching situations, he looked good when I saw him. I also didn’t mention Lyons, but that’s because I haven’t seen Lyons throw yet.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Anyone have any more updates?
Injury-wise: Becker got on the field for the first time at third. Huey is back playing. Cabbiness is now cleared to hit.

I only saw Friday’s scrimmage (wasn’t sure if they’d get in any with the rain). The field conditions were a Louisiana marsh to quote Coach. Despite that the pitchers were controlling the hitters.

The coaches used Friday to experiment a little on the infield. I wouldn’t read anything into some of these. Funk tried third and fielded the position well with a better arm than I expected. Becker was the other third. Huey and Navi were both at SS. Giving the coaches a look inning by inning at that position. Hewitt and Gardner at second. First base was Alix Garcia and Jake Taylor. Jake needs time to adjust to playing first, but I think they just wanted to see if it was an option since Spiegel has been coming along at catcher.