Fall Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 24, 2015
Houston
Anyone have a chance to go catch any of the fall practice workouts or scrimmages. Just trying to get a little info on what this coming years team will look like and how it may constructed as far as, will rely heavy on pitching to carry us or will be a balanced team.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
Anyone have a chance to go catch any of the fall practice workouts or scrimmages. Just trying to get a little info on what this coming years team will look like and how it may constructed as far as, will rely heavy on pitching to carry us or will be a balanced team.
I'm hoping to hear some first hand reports as well. I'm going to try and make it up sometime before the close of practices in October.

IMO, we should be very good on the pitching front. Elliott and Stone both had good summers on the Cape and Standlee was good in California. Every finger and toe crossed that guys can stay healthy. That should take some pressure off the offense and give it time to gel.

I threw out some stats during one of the fan meltdowns last season - that Josh's teams have averaged approximately 6 runs/game every year. Obviously, some years that's been prettier than others, but the final tally has been almost the same every year. The major difference the last two years has been an ERA that's 2+ runs/game higher than every other year under Walton. If this year's staff gets back to the 3-3.5 ERA that Walton's staffs have typically given up, we should be in really good shape.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Looks like Josh brought in a BIG class this fall. Does anyone know who all left after last year that was expected to be back? I know we lost several guys to the draft/graduation, but a 17-member signing class seems to indicate that some others left as well.

https://okstate.com/news/2018/9/27/cowboy-baseball-announces-recruiting-class.aspx
We lost Kroon, Teel, and Heasley to the draft. Cash transferred, and IIRC, Milligan, Desimone, and Griffin went to Cowley. Not sure if there are any others.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
Do you know where Cash transferred to? He was so good at the end of his Freshman year and we don't win the Big 12 Tourney that year without him. I was just hoping that he got trapped behind Rosa for 2nd base last year and never could get on track when he did play. I was hoping for a BIG year from him.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Do you know where Cash transferred to? He was so good at the end of his Freshman year and we don't win the Big 12 Tourney that year without him. I was just hoping that he got trapped behind Rosa for 2nd base last year and never could get on track when he did play. I was hoping for a BIG year from him.
He transferred to ORU. I don't have any inside info on the topic, so I won't speculate about why he moved on.

I too was hopeful that he'd get back to what he showed during his freshman year.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
He transferred to ORU. I don't have any inside info on the topic, so I won't speculate about why he moved on.

I too was hopeful that he'd get back to what he showed during his freshman year.

With the additions of Navigato, Garcia, Factor, Northern, Morrill, Sparks, Provost and the return of Neustifter, Funk, and Hewitt I figure that Cash, Desimone, and Griffin probably didn't see much playing time to be had on the infield.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
The lack of fall baseball coverage for OState is so frustrating! I can tell you more about KU fall baseball than I can tell you about our team. Most other B12 teams are constantly updating their fans about how the fall is going and what they can look forward to and we get nothing. (Venting over). Go back to your business.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
The lack of fall baseball coverage for OState is so frustrating! I can tell you more about KU fall baseball than I can tell you about our team. Most other B12 teams are constantly updating their fans about how the fall is going and what they can look forward to and we get nothing. (Venting over). Go back to your business.

This.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
I wonder if it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing. It's a pretty dedicated core of fans who follow OSU baseball closely enough to care about what goes on in the fall (i.e. in the thick of football season). I could imagine the staff thinking, "if we don't put out information, we're not going to lose any fans."

On the other hand, besides helping your diehards feel closer to the program, you might just capture some new fans. I'd wonder how many non-diehard baseball fans even know that college baseball teams have fall practices and what goes on during those practices. And now with the NCAA allowing two fall scrimmages against other D1 schools, it's a great way to get/keep folks interested in the sport.

I couldn't agree more that it's a missed opportunity to provide regular updates. It takes no time to punch some information into a tweet. They scrimmage pretty much every day. Why not send a daily tweet with your top performers, plays of the day, etc? Or at the very least, post your practice time each day.

I almost always have to call/email the baseball office to find out when practice will begin. I'm glad to do that legwork, but I'm sure for every one of me, there are several who'd show up if they saw it in a tweet but don't care/have the time to call the office (or wouldn't even think to do that).

I still contend that we are dang lucky to have the staff we have, but this is one area where we really could stand to improve, IMO.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
I attended 2 scrimmages last weekend and figure to see some more this week. I’ll reserve making any comments, because it’s like the second week of practice. So there’s no way to know whether something is a one off thing or a development. Fall is the time for the coaches to experiment and get a feel for the team.

You hate to think a guy struggles at the plate when he had a bad day, but consistently hits on other days. I hate when people make broad proclamations in spring football based on one practice. So I won’t do it.

The areas that I am watching are the middle infield battle, pitching, and whose hitting.

As far as newcomers that I have noticed, Bryce Carter and Huey Morrill come to mind. I didn’t get to see Gragg throw, but the whispers are positive. Northern and Provost seemed to be utility guys that could get looks at several positions.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
I wonder if it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing. It's a pretty dedicated core of fans who follow OSU baseball closely enough to care about what goes on in the fall (i.e. in the thick of football season). I could imagine the staff thinking, "if we don't put out information, we're not going to lose any fans."

On the other hand, besides helping your diehards feel closer to the program, you might just capture some new fans. I'd wonder how many non-diehard baseball fans even know that college baseball teams have fall practices and what goes on during those practices. And now with the NCAA allowing two fall scrimmages against other D1 schools, it's a great way to get/keep folks interested in the sport.

I couldn't agree more that it's a missed opportunity to provide regular updates. It takes no time to punch some information into a tweet. They scrimmage pretty much every day. Why not send a daily tweet with your top performers, plays of the day, etc? Or at the very least, post your practice time each day.

I almost always have to call/email the baseball office to find out when practice will begin. I'm glad to do that legwork, but I'm sure for every one of me, there are several who'd show up if they saw it in a tweet but don't care/have the time to call the office (or wouldn't even think to do that).

I still contend that we are dang lucky to have the staff we have, but this is one area where we really could stand to improve, IMO.
You know my thoughts on fall ball so I won’t repeat them. In terms of the pub side
It’s a double edge sword and it probably takes more time than many might think. I would also argue that Ok St has more dedicated (and more knowledgeable) fans than most, that’s also a double edge sword as those fans can be as frustrating as a dogs hind leg is crooked.
If you put out something on twitter then you’re going to get the inevitable follow up questions or comments. XX is showing up today, sounds great, seems reasonable, then through 3 games XX is hit less and those fans (just back and read some of what’s been posted here over the years) start with the fall doesn’t mean anything and likely much worse (which ftmp it doesn’t) or they tweet out about a couple of arms and everyone starts questioning what about the other guys we heard so much about, now the coach or whoever either ignores the questions or worse, starts answering them. My $0.02, it’s worth less than that, most schools, MSU and a few others being exceptions to the rule, are trying to promote a product that by and large doesn’t sell on campus a lot and I mean a lot of schools would be happy to get 10 students/ fans to a fall practice, I don’t think JH & staff need to do that. I would agree that posting a, tentative, practice schedule for the crazies (of which I count you among :D) would be easy and worth it I also, selfishly, like the idea of youtube for the real scrimmages, I really don’t know if anything more, especially every practice, is necessary or adds any value.

Feb 4, 2004
Thanks to all for the good info. It’s hard for us who aren’t able to see any of the spring work get a “feel” for how we are looking and who to keep an eye open for.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
Thanks to all for the good info. It’s hard for us who aren’t able to see any of the spring work get a “feel” for how we are looking and who to keep an eye open for.
I agree. I live in Dallas so I don’t get to see any of the fall work. I like just hearing thoughts of any of you that are able to catch some practice/scrimmage. Wets my appetite enough to get me through the winter