Fake Media attempts to Punk Gundy and fails

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 28, 2008
Yeah it wasn't hilarious...really stupid was more like it...I thought he did a good job of not answering their stupid questions.
Gundy got punked. He deserved it for his autocratic edict. Worse, he won't own-up to it. The world LoL'd. So did I.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Gundy got punked. He deserved it for his autocratic edict. Worse, he won't own-up to it. The world LoL'd. So did I.
You belong to a very small "world" evidentially...because it didn't raise a blip on any radar I've seen...nor was it funny in the slightest just some morons stating their opinions to which Gundy barely replied. IMHO the sports "press" suffers from little man syndrome and thinks to highly of itself. They deserve any flack they get, but I'm glad Gundy didn't unleash on them which would have indeed drawn attention.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
You belong to a very small "world" evidentially...because it didn't raise a blip on any radar I've seen...nor was it funny in the slightest just some morons stating their opinions to which Gundy barely replied. IMHO the sports "press" suffers from little man syndrome and thinks to highly of itself. They deserve any flack they get, but I'm glad Gundy didn't unleash on them which would have indeed drawn attention.
Those of us more familiar with Gundy can just imagine the "how many of these do I have to take before I get back to my real job" look on his face. That cracks me up.

Nov 28, 2008
ESPN, ex-ESPN, national press... all of them criticized Gundy. It was pretty widespread. Maybe you need to get out more.

Maybe you suffer from llittle man syndrome. Kind of sounds like it.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
ESPN, ex-ESPN, national press... all of them criticized Gundy. It was pretty widespread. Maybe you need to get out more.

Maybe you suffer from llittle man syndrome. Kind of sounds like it.
Maybe you are a member of the "sports media," kind of sounds like it.

Nov 28, 2008
Maybe you are a member of the "sports media," kind of sounds like it.
I wish I could write like some of those guys. But some ppl look at the world thru "fan eyes" so I understand you mean that in a negative way.
Either way, those 'students' had some fun with it. Back in the day, I'm guessing Gundy was a bit of a rabble rouser himself.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I wish I could write like some of those guys. But some ppl look at the world thru "fan eyes" so I understand you mean that in a negative way.
Either way, those 'students' had some fun with it. Back in the day, I'm guessing Gundy was a bit of a rabble rouser himself.
Yeah, it's just that they made statements that weren't true and they projected their opinion that he was anti freedom of press, on him...which was unfair and silly. Sure they have a right to be morons in college...especially if they never intend to be a Supreme Court Justice. ;)

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Widespread acceptance within the media (or any population) doesn't mean its actually right.

In this case, I think Gundy took a slightly dictatorial approach to this, but from his perspective, it was just the best thing for the current players, and he couldn't care less about the media. I respect that.

The media is nothing more than a for-profit industry that sometimes benefits society, but more often just does whatever it takes to stay relevant. In this case, the media as a whole got its feathers ruffled over essentially a tiny issue. Controversy sells, I suppose.

Ironically, Gundy might have caused more media coverage as a result of his request than if he had just let them ask a few questions and just instructed the players to give some basic playerspeak when asked.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
He never said they couldn't ask, they just couldn't ask the players. He had already given them all the information they wanted.

Nov 28, 2008
Widespread acceptance within the media (or any population) doesn't mean its actually right.

In this case, I think Gundy took a slightly dictatorial approach to this, but from his perspective, it was just the best thing for the current players, and he couldn't care less about the media. I respect that.

The media is nothing more than a for-profit industry that sometimes benefits society, but more often just does whatever it takes to stay relevant. In this case, the media as a whole got its feathers ruffled over essentially a tiny issue. Controversy sells, I suppose.

Ironically, Gundy might have caused more media coverage as a result of his request than if he had just let them ask a few questions and just instructed the players to give some basic playerspeak when asked.
------------------------------
I would agree with most of that. It certainly doesn't mean they're right b/c they all agreed, it was right b/c Gundy was wrong. That's all. You don't tell ppl what they can and can't ask. That's not tiny. It's their livelihood to write about sports teams so when you're threatening someone's job you're in deep water.

And it could've been transformed into a 'tiny issue' if it would've been handled better. Just own-up to your mistake when you make one. Even consider an apology. But that wasn't the tack taken.

I once asked Jimmy Johnson why we weren't running the "Pony Express". (SMU was doing that and they were pretty good) And we had the personnel that would fit it better than what we were doing IMO.

He blew me off. Totally. It's pretty funny the extent to which he blew me off.

But he took the question.

Sep 12, 2017
Tulsa
I think it was hilarious.
I also think if the same thing had happened to Lincoln Riley or Tom Herman, most OSU fans would think it was hilarious also.
I did enjoy Gundy crawfishing in his press conference after the game on Saturday.
When asked by the press about his statement that he wouldn’t allow any player interviews for the rest of the year if they were asked about McClesky - Gundy replied you know I don’t have that much power.

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
I would agree with most of that. It certainly doesn't mean they're right b/c they all agreed, it was right b/c Gundy was wrong. That's all. You don't tell ppl what they can and can't ask. That's not tiny. It's their livelihood to write about sports teams so when you're threatening someone's job you're in deep water.

And it could've been transformed into a 'tiny issue' if it would've been handled better. Just own-up to your mistake when you make one. Even consider an apology. But that wasn't the tack taken.

I once asked Jimmy Johnson why we weren't running the "Pony Express". (SMU was doing that and they were pretty good) And we had the personnel that would fit it better than what we were doing IMO.

ahhhhh........ so, you're an ex-media guy sticking up for the local, yahoo, media........ now it makes perfect sense

Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City

Annnnnnd there it is. So you are media. Makes sense now.

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
the "world" didn't LOL. the local media and few national dorks whined, threw a temper tantrum and then blew it way out of proportion, which is and always has been the media's MO when they don't get thier way and get there little feelers hurt

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

Nobody's livelihood was threatened when he made that question off limits.
1. If Jalen hadn't announced his transfer, everyone would have just asked the normal questions and been fine. Nobody would have lost their job if McClesky was still with the team and they couldn't write about that story.
2. Also, he made the question off limits to all media, so it wasn't like he was showing preference to one and banning others.

I understand the principle at hand, and again - I think Gundy could have tweaked his approach. But the media acting like victims is silly. If their efforts were noble, and they were reporting on something that actually had meaning, I might agree. But they aren't noble, and they weren't reporting on something that actually had meaning.

It is telling that your primary reason for siding with the media is because they might lose money.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Nobody's livelihood was threatened when he made that question off limits.
1. If Jalen hadn't announced his transfer, everyone would have just asked the normal questions and been fine. Nobody would have lost their job if McClesky was still with the team and they couldn't write about that story.
2. Also, he made the question off limits to all media, so it wasn't like he was showing preference to one and banning others.

I understand the principle at hand, and again - I think Gundy could have tweaked his approach. But the media acting like victims is silly. If their efforts were noble, and they were reporting on something that actually had meaning, I might agree. But they aren't noble, and they weren't reporting on something that actually had meaning.
They could have asked him any question as well. The "doing their job" crap is, well, crap.