Facilities/Construction Update

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

BeatOU

--- ... ..-
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 6, 2008
Alpha Quadrant
www.twitter.com
Some sports, some non-sports, but regardless, more going on around campus than I knew about.

Auxiliary library, residence hall just two constructions projects at O-State

STILLWATER, Okla. — The Oklahoma State University campus will be receiving a facelift this year. Many construction projects are under way and several more will start this year.
Read More
A couple of thoughts:

I wasn't aware Atherton was going to be closed for the entire football season this year. Wow! I wonder where the team is going to stay...

The Hanner/Business building project is going to wreak havoc on tailgating. Literally thousands of people cram together south of Athletic Street/E of Hanner. We'll all have to relocate.

Sep 17, 2007
So Cal
They need to build two long underground tunnels from the east side of the campus to the west side. One starting in front of the architecture building and ending on the north side of the residential halls and other starting at the seretene center and ending on the south side of the residential halls. Both tunnels could have some off-shoots to some of the major buildings. You could also connect the two a long Hester and Monroe.

I have been out of college for a long time but everytime the weather gets like this I think about having to walk that freaking campus in the cold. With the wind our campus can get just as cold as many of the schools in the Midwest and Northeast and they all have either above the ground or under ground tunnels.

The tunnels would be nice in April and May when the tornadoes start getting active.

Someone call Elon Musk! We should build our own underground mini hyper loop under OSU/Stillwaterr!! Seriously, imagine the publicity for the engineering programs. Once its finished and works as a pilot they can then build these connecting Stillwater to OKC and Tulsa. Also the underground tunnels double up as a tornado shelter.

Please don't crush my dreams and vision! :rolleyes:

Dec 24, 2007
Stillwater, OK
Pretty sweet!

http://www.reslife.okstate.edu/university-commons/

Once Kerr-Drummond is down campus visually improves dramatically

Although great memories on the 10th Floor in 2005-2006

I'm excited for this new hall! I hope with the added pedestrian traffic and things the University will finally renovate HOF from Washington Street west to Western Avenue. IMO that segment needs upgraded (pedestrian right-of-ways, new OSU matching lamp poles, flower planters, brick pavers somehow, more aesthetically pleasing).

The additional foot-traffic will require something.

Orange Shadow

Banned
Banned
Oct 26, 2010
Highland Village, Texas
Sorry in advance to all that are offended/have a romantic relationship with Kerr/Drummond, but this campus will be 10 times better when those building are torn down. What eye sores. What will take their place? Also, why are they keeping Wentz?
I was among the first residents in Kerr when it opened in 1966. Stayed in Room 807 for two years. Some good memories there.

Sep 16, 2008
Edmond, OK
A couple of thoughts:

I wasn't aware Atherton was going to be closed for the entire football season this year. Wow! I wonder where the team is going to stay...

The Hanner/Business building project is going to wreak havoc on tailgating. Literally thousands of people cram together south of Athletic Street/E of Hanner. We'll all have to relocate.
Before the team moved to the Atherton on Friday nights, they stayed at the Best Western.

Aug 2, 2011
I'm excited for this new hall! I hope with the added pedestrian traffic and things the University will finally renovate HOF from Washington Street west to Western Avenue. IMO that segment needs upgraded (pedestrian right-of-ways, new OSU matching lamp poles, flower planters, brick pavers somehow, more aesthetically pleasing).

The additional foot-traffic will require something.
Definitely a must...and certainly for the safety concerns as well....

Freshman girls walking all that way in the dark? Not good

Jul 15, 2005
okc
At some point, they'll be tearing down Thatcher, ripping out that parking lot there and building a new building in place of Thatcher as well as one behind Morrill. Athletic avenue will be turned into a large sidewalk. The parking lot will also feature greenspace and a fountain. It should be nice.

Aug 24, 2010
Indy
How about Stillwater have joes clean up the side of the building next to stonewall? I don't know who owns that sidewalk and dumpster, but it's disgusting. It smells worse than dog shat. On game days and basketball days, thousands of people walk on that sidewalk. Visitors included.

The whole sidewalk down to qdoba should be fixed. Fine the damn landlord for those 2 pos houses next to it.

That in my opinion is the worst area on campus.

Ps-the crappy house with the ivy on it keyed my car homecoming 2 years ago.

Pss- is the guy in the pic shooting heroin in the corner?

Cliffs:
-look at picture
-it's 10x worse in real life

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389618417.361535.jpg

Dec 24, 2007
Stillwater, OK
How about Stillwater have joes clean up the side of the building next to stonewall? I don't know who owns that sidewalk and dumpster, but it's disgusting. It smells worse than dog shat. On game days and basketball days, thousands of people walk on that sidewalk. Visitors included.

The whole sidewalk down to qdoba should be fixed. Fine the damn landlord for those 2 pos houses next to it.

Cliffs:
-look at picture

View attachment 26154

The ENTIRE campus corner area needs a big face-lift. From the strip down University to Knoblock and down to GIA. We need more tenants and a huge reno of the area. Larger sidewalks, landscaping, lighting and buildings. (IMO) And no, I don't have the money, but I would be in favor of a sales tax increase to make it possible.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.

Cliffs:
-look at picture

View attachment 26154
The ENTIRE campus corner area needs a big face-lift. From the strip down University to Knoblock and down to GIA. We need more tenants and a huge reno of the area. Larger sidewalks, landscaping, lighting and buildings. (IMO) And no, I don't have the money, but I would be in favor of a sales tax increase to make it possible.
The sidewalks are the city's responsibility. The dumpsters on both the owners and the city, they have to agree on the spot to put it. And I agree that is a horrible place for dumpsters, but unfortunately there isn't an alley or any good alternative spot in that neighborhood. The houses are the landlords fault, but the city tends to overlook code violations for most parts of town especially those around campus. If the city would enforce the codes already on the books most of these student slums and other crappy looking areas would be much better.

Dec 24, 2007
Stillwater, OK
Tennis Update, kinda:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Making the final preparations for what should be a great season! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=#pictureday&amp;src=hash">#pictureday</a> <a href="http://t.co/LSjOkbzoGn">pic.twitter.com/LSjOkbzoGn</a></p>&mdash; OSU Cowboy Tennis (@CowboyTennis) <a href="">January 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Check out some of the pics from our tennis poster shoot earlier this week...this is a tough team! <a href="http://t.co/UI9RrwcBfH">pic.twitter.com/UI9RrwcBfH</a></p>&mdash; Chris Young (@CowgirlTennis) <a href="">January 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nov 11, 2007
Tulsa
www.RLHudson.com
Did they secure funds for Business School?
I had lunch with two department heads from the Spears School of Business last week. We will break ground on the business building this summer. They have secured enough donations to start construction. It is just a matter what amenities they will be able to include. The original proposal, although it was a very early draft, included a very nice auditorium. As it now stands, they would not be able to include the auditorium. However, changes are still being made to the plans to optimize the funds available. You can still donate!

Building Business Success

Oct 7, 2012
They need to build two long underground tunnels from the east side of the campus to the west side. One starting in front of the architecture building and ending on the north side of the residential halls and other starting at the seretene center and ending on the south side of the residential halls. Both tunnels could have some off-shoots to some of the major buildings. You could also connect the two a long Hester and Monroe.

I have been out of college for a long time but everytime the weather gets like this I think about having to walk that freaking campus in the cold. With the wind our campus can get just as cold as many of the schools in the Midwest and Northeast and they all have either above the ground or under ground tunnels.

The tunnels would be nice in April and May when the tornadoes start getting active.
They'd have to be damn big tunnels and I feel like the campus would look empty a lot of the time, which would suck. I really enjoy walking around campus in the morning with thousands of my fellow students.