Facilities/Construction Update

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Oh, that's interesting. Obviously they'll have to have intramurals somewhere. I know they played rugby and some intramurals farther north just past McElroy. They may be deciding where to move them. All it really takes is large open fields that can be marked. So, I'm not sure hoe much design/construction you would need for that...
More than you'd think honestly. The dirt work is the most important part of any construction project (if my soils professors are to be believed). Theoretically you could just take any old field but that wouldn't even be close to ideal. It would need to be surveyed and graded to make it flat, then there's drainage/runoff to consider as well. A lot goes into it that isn't super obvious from looking at it.

Nov 25, 2006
Stillwater, OK
This may relate, but I noticed on the Board of Regents agenda from last Friday, the university is selecting "on-call consultants to assist the University with the design and construction of new intramural sports fields."

I wonder if they will remain next to the Colvin/Seretean Wellness Center or be moved?
I worked for intramurals when I was a student up until December. According to the GA in charge of the program they were looking into the costs of putting down artificial turf for the intramural fields. This would include flatlining the entire field area and laying the turf. The turf would include lines in different colors for football, soccer, and softball. The bid would also have to include a new lighting system for the location. The also do not want to move and probably won't after renovating the annex for basketball volleyball and other indoor sports.

The current intramural fields are complete shit. They have giant mud puddles that saverly limit the useable space on the fields. Every time it rains the fields close for the rest of the day and sometimes the next day because they are too wet and playing on them would just make them worse. They have even canceled the softball playoffs before because the fields wore so unplayable the literly could not get games in. Turf would solve all of those problems and allow games to be resumed or played in light rain or when the lightning stops.

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
I worked for intramurals when I was a student up until December. According to the GA in charge of the program they were looking into the costs of putting down artificial turf for the intramural fields. This would include flatlining the entire field area and laying the turf. The turf would include lines in different colors for football, soccer, and softball. The bid would also have to include a new lighting system for the location. The also do not want to move and probably won't after renovating the annex for basketball volleyball and other indoor sports.

The current intramural fields are complete shit. They have giant mud puddles that saverly limit the useable space on the fields. Every time it rains the fields close for the rest of the day and sometimes the next day because they are too wet and playing on them would just make them worse. They have even canceled the softball playoffs before because the fields wore so unplayable the literly could not get games in. Turf would solve all of those problems and allow games to be resumed or played in light rain or when the lightning stops.

football and soccer would be super easy to do because they aren't that different in size. Softball lines would be pretty weird addition to the mix.

Mar 31, 2011
This may relate, but I noticed on the Board of Regents agenda from last Friday, the university is selecting "on-call consultants to assist the University with the design and construction of new intramural sports fields."

I wonder if they will remain next to the Colvin/Seretean Wellness Center or be moved?
They are building the new soccer stadium where the intramural fields are right beside the current stadium, from what i've heard as a GA in the Colvin. Intramurals will gain some new fields elsewhere. I also heard some rumors about development out near Camp Redlands...more on that as I learn more.

Additionally, I heard that either the K or the D of KD was going to remain standing for a bit longer.

Dec 24, 2007
Stillwater, OK
They are building the new soccer stadium where the intramural fields are right beside the current stadium, from what i've heard as a GA in the Colvin. Intramurals will gain some new fields elsewhere. I also heard some rumors about development out near Camp Redlands...more on that as I learn more.

Additionally, I heard that either the K or the D of KD was going to remain standing for a bit longer.
That would be Drummond. They have had to use that building for housing this year. Everything is pretty packed, even with the new University Commons.

We will have the second largest class of incoming freshman this fall. I've heard about 4,000-4,250 students. Previous high was 4,306 in 2012.

Dec 24, 2007
Stillwater, OK

This would be awesome!

I just hope they make them a little more separate, maybe add fencing or sidewalks around each field? Something they can easily fence off when not in use and something more aesthetically pleasing as well.

Nov 25, 2006
Stillwater, OK
football and soccer would be super easy to do because they aren't that different in size. Softball lines would be pretty weird addition to the mix.
Softball is mostly using one of the other fields lines for foul lines and a mark for where the bases and pitching rubber goes. The batters box is usually a mat the rolls out that has the lines painted on it. No infield lines are painted for intramural softball at OSU but there is a restricted line for co-rec in the outfield.

Dec 24, 2007
Stillwater, OK
You can view a recent Stillwater Planning Commission meeting below. OSU Long Range Facilities presented information about upcoming, current, and recently completed projects.

Just so you all know, the soccer complex and baseball complex work will also begin this winter/spring according to the video. Here is a screenshot I took of the baseball facility from the video presentation:

Aug 2, 2011
I'm really excited about the new Plant....my main curiosity will be what will be put in place of the current (old) plant?

Maybe a building to replace the space lost by Cordell? Maybe design a new version of Cordell with some of the same architectural elements as the original in order to preserve its historical significance. Then tear down Cordell and build a grand entry to BPS which includes statues of Boone, Barry, and Thurman! My thoughts

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
I'm really excited about the new Plant....my main curiosity will be what will be put in place of the current (old) plant?

Maybe a building to replace the space lost by Cordell? Maybe design a new version of Cordell with some of the same architectural elements as the original in order to preserve its historical significance. Then tear down Cordell and build a grand entry to BPS which includes statues of Boone, Barry, and Thurman! My thoughts
Cordell comes down in January.

Dec 24, 2007
Stillwater, OK

I know the old Physical Plant will be torn down after the new plant is online. From what I was told it will be more engineering and research classrooms/laboratories.

I LOVE your idea!! I want the same thing at the opposite side of GIA with statues of Iba and Gallagher! Could be gorgeous.

One thing I really think would make that area over there look better is to add trees, landscaping, etc. in the planters along the ramps on the north and south side of the West Endzone. Some large oaks and some of the similar plantings they have by The Smith Training Center would be nice.

casdas

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Oct 14, 2004
Yukon, OK
I never understood why that phrase, especially now with the every-game use of the Tombstone clip, is not plastered on the inside wall of the west end zone instead of just "Boone Pickens Stadium."
Another option would be to find the sign, and hang it up high on the west end, inside the stadium, on game days. Can't find it because someone who lived in Cordell has it? Make a new one that is identical. Even if not for all home games, once a year at Homecoming would be a nice and appropriate gesture.