Everybody be safe today

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I wonder what the total cost of shutting down all of the businesses and schools was? Seems like the aversion to risk has gotten way out of hand to me.
Haven't you heard OEA, you get more done and better on a four day week. The employees will be kicking ass the rest of the week.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Right now you need a canoe in parts of Stillwater, and it's still coming down hard.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Oh and while we probably could have had school today, it's cancelled again tomorrow because of the flooding.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
That was Mike Morgan... and I'll never understand why the man wasn't prosecuted for it (or at the very least, lost his job). He could have/would have single-handily killed hundreds, maybe even thousands, on May 31st had that f5 not lifted and kept tracking towards OKC. The highways/roads were gridlocked pretty much everywhere because of his words and asinine advice. NOT GOOD. :cursing::cursing::cursing:
So it's safer to remain at home and pray the tornado doesn't destroy everything, leaving only the foundation slab? The many people who died or got badly hurt from the two Moore tornadoes might strongly disagree with you.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
So it's safer to remain at home and pray the tornado doesn't destroy everything, leaving only the foundation slab? The many people who died or got badly hurt from the two Moore tornadoes might strongly disagree with you.
On that day, May 31st, 2013? Yes. Absolutely you were safer at home trying to shelter in place as best as you could. If you weren’t in OKC that day you don’t have a clue how bad the gridlock was. Literally all highway systems were parking lots. It was seriously that bad.

And the largest F5 in recorded history was bearing down on sitting ducks.

Telling people to get in their cars and drive was the most professionally irresponsible thing I think I may have ever heard on live TV.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Oh and while we probably could have had school today, it's cancelled again tomorrow because of the flooding.

Rural north Stillwater has had over 6 inches of rain and still raining. The school buses can't run in that mess.
I know that. But Monday turned out to be nothing. I'm glad they erred on the side of caution though.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
We woke up to tornado sirens at 4 only to find out it was a weak rotation on the other side of the county. :facepalm:
Gotta admit... that’s at least something they’ve gotten better at... the tornado sirens.

Years ago a possible tornado in MWC would activate the sirens in far NW Edmond. That was a stupid policy. Believe they quit doing county-wide siren protocols (at least in Okla county) just a few years ago.

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
We woke up to tornado sirens at 4 only to find out it was a weak rotation on the other side of the county. :facepalm:
I got woken up 4 different times for flood and flash flood warnings overnight from my phone. Of course this morning we can't get more than a couple of miles from our house due to flooded roads so guess the kids stay home again...

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
You really think your odds are better sitting in a vehicle than inside a home??? You say a lot of stupid stuff but this one really takes the cake...

Of course I say this and I left my house in Yukon to go to a shelter that was available to me in Bethany, but a) that was my decision as I don't watch Mr. Sparkles and b) I stayed off the highways and took city streets the whole way. The next week we went to Flatsafe and ordered a shelter. :D

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Looks like there were 19 reported tornadoes last night, so those of you saying that it was much ado about nothing are pretty wrong. Fortunately the tornadoes didn't hit the most populated areas and it doesn't look like they did much damage.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Looks like there were 19 reported tornadoes last night, so those of you saying that it was much ado about nothing are pretty wrong. Fortunately the tornadoes didn't hit the most populated areas and it doesn't look like they did much damage.
This was a forecast I'm glad they got wrong (at least in the metro).